No announcement yet.

Have we done "Pointless"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Renart went viral on Gun Control, another OTFer, Andy C, has set the world on fire with this joke
    https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/968216033269092354

Comment

When I say the world, I suspect it only works if you know how to pronounce Bicester and Worcester, and therefore it may only work within the UK, but never mind. It is locally viral

Comment

Aaaah! Bicester

Comment

You'd been working on that pun for a while then, DA...?

Comment

Today was world cup final goalscorers, not the most difficult of topics but they couldn't name one correct answer. He did say Maradona though. Fucking pathetic.

Comment

"Geoff Peters" made me feel better about my performance in the final round in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                Today was world cup final goalscorers, not the most difficult of topics but they couldn't name one correct answer. He did say Maradona though. Fucking pathetic.
                Was personally surprised that anyone remembered Brehme, but given Materazzi was the only pointless answer, evidently so.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                  Was personally surprised that anyone remembered Brehme, but given Materazzi was the only pointless answer, evidently so.
                  The only pointless answer!!? What was the question then? Was it limited to recent World Cup finals? Because I would be mighty impressed if anyone remembered the two Swedes who scored a goal in the 1958 final.

Comment

Was Brown not pointless? I've dreamt about being on that show facing that question and that being my answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                      The only pointless answer!!? What was the question then? Was it limited to recent World Cup finals? Because I would be mighty impressed if anyone remembered the two Swedes who scored a goal in the 1958 final.
                      Post 1990 apparently so. Shocked nobody said Puskas.

Comment

It's a bit unfair when a finals question has only one pointless answer.

Comment

There were three categories: 50s/60s, 70s/80s and 90s/00s.

My best ever performance. I got 4 pointless answers in the 60 seconds Vava, Haller, Boninsegna, & Breitner

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                            Was Brown not pointless? I've dreamt about being on that show facing that question and that being my answer.
                            I thought you wrote "Wes Brown" for a minute there Rogin. I was thinking "I swear I don't remember him in a World Cup final".

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                              There were three categories: 50s/60s, 70s/80s and 90s/00s.

My best ever performance. I got 4 pointless answers in the 60 seconds Vava, Haller, Boninsegna, & Breitner
                              Mine came in 'Players from the 1981 FA Cup final'. In quiet moments at work, I drift off into thoughts of getting that as the final round question rather than the shitstorm I received when under the Elstree lights.

"Which do you think has the best chance of being Pointless?"
                              "Well, to be honest Xander, I think that Tommy Caton, Tony Galvin and Nicky Reid all have a very good chance. But I'd like Nicky Reid to win the money, as he went on to play for Bury and I interviewed him for my second book."

Comment

Surely getting 4 pointless answers is missing the point? The thing is to get it down to the three that you've got that you think no one else has got, not just name all of them and then claim the pointless ones. Like when the category was Terry Pratchett books - I could name all of them, the skill was narrowing it down to which one everyone else would not know / remember.

Comment

Of course. I wasn't playing the game as the studio contestants would but just seeing how many I could get for my own amusement (and to show off to my wife if I'm honest). I'm pretty sure I would have said Vava and Boninsegna if it had been for real though and probably not Breitner.

Comment

A few weeks back I went to a recording of Pointless Celebrities to be shown on BBC Music Day in September. There were three BBC6 presenters, one paired with Clara Amfo, two with singers I'd never heard of. One of those, Amy MacDonald, was inspired to become a singer-songwriter after seeing Travis perform Turn at a festival, so hopefully I'll remain blissfully ignorant of her work. The fourth team was a Radio 3 presenter paired with Lesley Garrett, who was lovely.

No spoilers but we had a round on the Tony awards, then national symbols, a music round about recognising the lesser known originals of songs made famous by someone else, organs of the human body and films set in India.

Comment

Australia has Pointless now. Same title tune and sequence; very similar set. They start with three pairs and go into the head-to-head after the first round, and don't get to know the candidates. The whole thing feels very rushed.

The counterparts of Armstrong and Osman are astonishingly poor. For the Richard role they found a doctor of something who isn't quite witless or lacking in charm, but he has no personality. It's the main host who is spoiling the show. He looks like the son of the Hitler Youth and Guy Smiley. All teeth and cheesy humour, shouting and pointing, and no timing in his commentary as the scoreboard goes down. He asks whether the answer will be pointless when it is obvious that it won't be, and duly stops at 58.

But the worst crime is that the "Doc" guy doesn't give possible pointless answers, especially in the finale. It seems to me that the Australian producers have missed the, er, point of what makes the original Pointless so successful: aside from the concept and the superb balance in the questions (which Australia's version gets right), you really enjoy spending time with the likable and genuinely witty hosts, you get to know "people like you and me", and you can play along and hope to "win" at home (that's why Richard always addresses the viewers at home).

Comment

More scandalously than that, it's not on the BBC at the moment, just when i would be free to obsessively watch every day. replaced by some ridiculous nonsense with too many contestants and an identikit presenter. Bah.

Comment

*adopts look of smug insouricance* due to being two months behind in slowly ploughing through our collection of Pointless recordings on our set-top box hard drive. Difficult to keep up with the pace of 5 episodes per week when you watch it over the family evening meal with wife and 7 year old daughter with lots of long pauses for home play/wife obsessively rewinding to replay every single thing that's said that she didn't completely catch, and compulsory cessation of viewing at 7 year old bedtime.

Comment

The Australian episode I watched had me slack-jawed. Question was Beatles LPs. So far, so easy. Beatles for Sale; one point. But one hapless contestant gave "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club". Brrrmp... 100 points. "You missed the word 'Club' there Bruce mate". Fair enough. Four answers later: "The White Album". Down goes the count. Richard would never have allowed that. "Doc" didn't even explain that they allowed it despite the thing being "The Beatles or, at a stretch, "The Double Album". What sort of Pointless are these renegades running their in Australia? And I still want SS Guy Smiley to go away...

Comment

You say Richard wouldn’t allow ‘the White Album’ but there was a question about European football the other week when he let ‘Bestikas’ go through.

Comment

Yeah, I was a little surprised by that, but I suppose you made some allowance for foreign names being tongue-twisters. But he is consistent; that Australian guy disallowed one answer because of a missing word, but then allowed a title that doesn't exist. I've never seen Richard do anything remotely unfair.

Comment

Only one answer to give for that category:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbMSUQE36us

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                    *adopts look of smug insouricance* due to being two months behind in slowly ploughing through our collection of Pointless recordings on our set-top box hard drive. Difficult to keep up with the pace of 5 episodes per week when you watch it over the family evening meal with wife and 7 year old daughter with lots of long pauses for home play/wife obsessively rewinding to replay every single thing that's said that she didn't completely catch, and compulsory cessation of viewing at 7 year old bedtime.
                                                    100 pts for ‘insouricance’, even in Australia

Comment

Working...
                                                    X