Have we done "Pointless"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've watched this twice in the last two days and on both occasions have got pointless answers in the final round. Yesterday it was countries west of Britain (just name some small caribbean islands), today it was countries that competed in the 1995 Rugby World Cup (I guessed Romania).

I should go on it.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Yes, very good luck! It's great fun going on a TV quiz. I did Mastermind last year - nerve-racking but still enjoyable.
      Sorry, hadn't updated - my mate and I will be on later this year.

Comment

Will you let us know nearer the time or do you want to keep your anonymity on here?

Comment

The other day they had "Teams in the 1990 World Cup" as one of the final round categories. I was very surprised that Costa Rica was a pointless answer while UAE wasn't.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Will you let us know nearer the time or do you want to keep your anonymity on here?
            Given the amount of plugging I've done on here for the book, and the same book being one of the subjects I brought up at the audition when they said 'Tell us something interesting about yourself', I think the cloak of anonymity shrank in the wash a long, long time ago.

Comment

longeared wrote: The other day they had "Teams in the 1990 World Cup" as one of the final round categories. I was very surprised that Costa Rica was a pointless answer while UAE wasn't.
              You're more likely to remember surprise qualifiers and the year they were there, the same question for 2010 was shown the previous week and semi-regular qualifiers who don't usually do a lot (Switzerland, Slovenia, Denmark) were pointless opposed to North Korea and New Zealand which were not.

Enjoyed the recent question about flattest countries too.

Comment

longeared wrote: The other day they had "Teams in the 1990 World Cup" as one of the final round categories. I was very surprised that Costa Rica was a pointless answer while UAE wasn't.
                I got three pointless answers in that one (Costa Rica, Colombia, Romania). I've had that only once or twice before.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: today it was countries that competed in the 1995 Rugby World Cup (I guessed Romania).
                  Whereas I was pointless with Virginia Bottomley...

Comment

In the 1995 World Cup question, Romania was my friend again, as was Ivory Coast.

Comment

Is it just me or is Sheila Ferguson really fucking annoying?

Comment

Filming ours in less than two weeks down in Elstree. Shit just got real.

Comment

Oh, a behind the scenes report would be good -- except if it destroys any illusions (they film a week's with in a day, Richard's rider includes a daily supply of kittens which he proceeds to kick, Alexander is not really a fan of Prince but of Julio Iglesias... that sort of thing).

It takes a long time before these things are broadcast. In one show a couple of weeks ago, one winner said he'd use his winnings for the Euros in France "next year". Another, same show or nearby, said he would be writing his finals at university in three weeks time, and somebody else made reference to the summer weather.

So I guess the show might have been filmed in early June 2015, and broadcast in September 2016.

Comment

G-Man wrote: Oh, a behind the scenes report would be good -- except if it destroys any illusions (they film a week's with in a day,
                            They film four episodes in a day, a few weeks back Richard tweeted a schedule for a day's filming. I think they do an entire year's worth (including the celebrity editions) in the space of a couple of months.

(Edit; found it)

Agree that they're still using the episodes filmed in 2015, we haven't had any questions or timescales yet that relate to events any later than last summer.

Good luck Giggler, hope there's a round on "4th division football 1984-85".

Comment

Good luck.As it probably won't be broadcast till sometime in season 2017/18,see if you can slip in a reference to "Bury of the Championship".

Comment

longeared wrote:
                                Originally posted by G-Man
                                Oh, a behind the scenes report would be good -- except if it destroys any illusions (they film a week's with in a day,
                                They film four episodes in a day, a few weeks back Richard tweeted a schedule for a day's filming. I think they do an entire year's worth (including the celebrity editions) in the space of a couple of months.

(Edit; found it)

Agree that they're still using the episodes filmed in 2015, we haven't had any questions or timescales yet that relate to events any later than last summer.

Good luck Giggler, hope there's a round on "4th division football 1984-85".
                                Brian Scrimgeour, Peter Gleasure and Kevin Stonehouse - three pointless answers right there.

Comment

Good luck Giggler!

And any reports from the day welcome, I'm thinking of applying to be on myself, with my brother if he's up for it.

Comment

I thought the only people who remembered big Scrimmy were Thistle fans who saw his performance as an emergency goalkeeper against Hamiltion Accies. Just goes to show.

And "good luck" from here also.

Comment

Good Luck, Sir!

I'd never go on it, I'd be shite.

Comment

At one point, I had pointless answers in the final round in four episodes on the trot, none in categories I'd have chosen. Then a pair chose "Classic albums of the early '70s", which is very much my kind of pick, and I got no pointlesses.

The lesson, I suppose, is to be entirely counterintuitive when pick a final category you.

Giggler, I hope your answer to Alexander's question, "And what do you do when you're not pimping [or whatever your job is]", your answer will include, "Hanging out with a bunch of losers on a football message board".

Oh, and study the periodic table, remember Sao Tome & Principe and Guinea Bissau (the new Central African Republic), and that Cliff Richard never won the Eurovision Song Contest.

Comment

G-Man wrote: Oh, and study the periodic table, remember Sao Tome & Principe and Guinea Bissau (the new Central African Republic), and that Cliff Richard never won the Eurovision Song Contest.
                                          Hmmm, I'm not so sure. Given that they are so far behind, your São Tomé and Príncipes and your Guinea Bissaus could be old hat by now for all we know.

Comment

G-Man wrote: At one point, I had pointless answers in the final round in four episodes on the trot, none in categories I'd have chosen. Then a pair chose "Classic albums of the early '70s", which is very much my kind of pick, and I got no pointlesses.

The lesson, I suppose, is to be entirely counterintuitive when pick a final category you.

Giggler, I hope your answer to Alexander's question, "And what do you do when you're not pimping [or whatever your job is]", your answer will include, "Hanging out with a bunch of losers on a football message board".

Oh, and study the periodic table, remember Sao Tome & Principe and Guinea Bissau (the new Central African Republic), and that Cliff Richard never won the Eurovision Song Contest.
                                            I think the final round is about having the confidence to go with the esoteric. On one episode it was East Anglia and the categories were actors in the Alan Partridge film and members of Ipswich's UEFA Cup winning side. I got three pointless answers with Felicity Montagu, Clive Myrie and Paul Cooper.

As for my pastimes, I think the USP of mine and my mate's application was that we met on a comedy discussion forum and given he lives in East Kilbride and me in Bury, we've met in person less than ten times. So being a loser online comes naturally.

Comment

Good luck from me too Giggler; who it all goes well for you and your mate.

Remember: 604, Toxteth O'Grady, USA.

Comment

Good luck from me too, obviously. And I'm jealous.

Comment

Yet another well-wisher here, Giggler.

Top 40 singles by Tears For Fears: Break It Down Again, Closest Thing To Heaven, Raoul And The Kings Of Spain.

Countries with yellow in their flag: Palau, Kiribati, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Characters from any of the Street Fighter games: Urien, Twelve, Maki

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll report back.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X