Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we done "Pointless"?

10^7 guests wrote: Orient?
    Whenever I've been, they've played at Brisbane Road...

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
      Originally posted by 10^7 guests
      Orient?
      Whenever I've been, they've played at Brisbane Road...
      It's the official name due to Barry Hearn's sponsorship.

Comment

Indeed. Has been for over a decade now. But even Hearn never calls it anything other thn Brisbane Rd publicly.

Comment

Bloody hell. The couple today chose 'Scandinavian Playwrights' - plays by Henrik Ibsen. One answer with one point and two pointless answers.

They were good.

Comment

They were good, yeah, but at the same time it's a bit of a know-it-or-you-don't thing, isn't it? You either say "who's Henrik Ibsen?", or you say "ummm I only know Hedda Gabler, Peer Gynt and A Doll's House", or you actually know about Ibsen, in which case almost any of his other plays will be pointless. Happy to see them win, rather than the copper, though.

Comment

True. And the 'Scandinavian Playwrights' category had been up there for some time so I guess you could have prepared for Ibsen or maybe Strindberg. Can't think of any others!

Last year, I remember seeing a category for 'Brazil'. Does anyone know whether anyone ever chose it and, if so, what the question was?

Comment

What is the main ingredient in a 'Caiparinha'?

Comment

cantagalo wrote: True. And the 'Scandinavian Playwrights' category had been up there for some time so I guess you could have prepared for Ibsen or maybe Strindberg. Can't think of any others!

Last year, I remember seeing a category for 'Brazil'. Does anyone know whether anyone ever chose it and, if so, what the question was?
                  Yeah, it was naming Brazilian states. Can't remember whether they won.

Comment

Ah thanks. I thought it might be Brazilian states. There was an 'India' category and that was Indian states.

Oh well, that's my best chance of ever winning Pointless gone.

Comment

They haven't yet done German Bundesländer, which would be my dead cert.

Comment

Wyatt Earp wrote: They haven't yet done German Bundesländer, which would be my dead cert.
                        Are you going for Sachsen-Anhalt or Saarland?

Comment

Those two and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, I thought.

Comment

Caught the repeat of the celebrity one the other night. Chelsea Healey thought the anagram of Olympic host cities that was Beijing was Belgium!

Comment

My guess would be Bremen, but I'm hopeless at that game. I thought that chap was going to wipe the board with his stoat.

Comment

When Richard talks about Fulham it reminds me of the line in Fever Pitch about football fans being like the dogs that resemble their owners.

Comment

The round yesterday on Conservative PM's was fairly depressing, from the schoolteacher who cheerfully admitted that though she knew loads of politicians' names she wasn't sure which party they belonged to, to the Welsh girl who thought David Lloyd George was a Conservative, topped off by the lad who passed A level politics who thought Enoch Powell was once PM.

It's not often the thought crosses my mind that Michael Gove might be on to something but that was one of them.

Also I would dispute the inclusion of David Cameron on the list of correct answers. Technically he's not a Conservative prime minister but a coalition one surely?

Comment

No, I think they're techically right - a "Conservative Prime Minister" is related to the party that they belong to, not to the party that has the most MPs at the time? Good spot though!

Comment

However he is right about the frightening lack of knowledge displayed by the contestant.

Comment

And the way he seemed almost proud of his ignorance.

I'm not keen on the re-vamp of the final round. It's hard enough to think of answers in one category within 60 seconds but having three just makes it too unfocussed.

Comment

So, how many OTFers were shouting at their tellies today then?

Comment

I reckon most of us would have won today.

Even Roy Hodgson was Pointless.

Comment

Topic: Assassinations

Question: Assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas

Answer: JR

Comment

Don't tell me; I'll see that later...

I was delighted to get Robin And The Seven Hoods the other day.

Comment

Think we'd all have won the final category - personally, found the Bundesliga clubs easier to remember, but depends on your speciality.

Comment

Much respect to the guys who spotted Edward Heath's wife the other day...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X