Have we done "Pointless"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm updating my CV to include achieving triple pointless in tonight's final - naming Djibouti, Maldives and Papua New Guinea as countries that begin with the same letter that their capitals do. I expect to be headhunted by the end of the week.

Comment

Hofzinser wrote: I've noticed that in periodic table questions 'Erbium' is nearly always pointless on the occasions it fits the question (and where it doesn't fit, Seaborgium will do the trick).
      Not today! Fortunately, my ability recite Tom Lehrer's 'The Elements' came in handy, and I was able to identify all the non-'ium'-suffixed element names. Unfortunately, I picked Astatine, which wasn't one of the pointless answers.

Comment

tratorello wrote:
        Originally posted by frontier psychiatrist
        Originally posted by tratorello
        Originally posted by Hofzinser
        I haven't seen it yet so can't confirm but I'm told that otf's own Lucy Waterman is a contestant on today's Pointless.
        This is indeed correct.
        And how did he do?
        IIRC, he/they were unlucky to be eliminated in the first round on their first go (despite a relatively low score of around 50ish), but in their second show they got all the way to the final only to miss out on a pretty substantial jack pot (about £16,000, I think?).

Unfortunately I can't remember the category.
        Assuming I've got the right episodes (and everything fits, so I think I have), I've finally managed to watch these, and:

1. Didn't they come across as really nice folks? The hosts seemed really taken with them as well.

2. Relatedly: wasn't their bond really touchingly clear? The first one, where they went out in Round 1, was an object lesson in how to do that with grace and humour and mutual affection. Plenty of pairs go in for sniping in those circumstances.

3. Films of Ian McKellen innit.

All in all, they done us proud, I reckon.

Comment

Yes, indeed - agree with all that. They acquitted themselves admirably.

Comment

Did anyone else go for 'stramash' in the 'words ending in ASH' opening round today? Disappointed that it wasn't in Richard's list of pointless answers.

Comment

My answer was "Goulash" which also wasn't mentioned.

Going back to Wednesday's edition I loved the rather touching disclosure from Lee Dixon that throughout his childhood his mother had a copy of David Niven's "The Moon's a balloon" permanently on her bedside table for ornamental purposes.

Worthy of Alan Bennett.

Comment

Yesterdays had "CJ from Eggheads" on who won. Anyone know why he's not on Eggheads anymore, flounced or pushed?

Comment

I was surprised that 2/3 of CJ's answers in the final round were so unobscure.

I probably shouldn't have been but I was also surprised at how little European geography had been absorbed by Lawrenson/Dixon; ML even had to question whether the Euro 2004 winning country was in Europe.

Comment

Lorraine Chase thinking The Jungle Book was written by Disney! The should put her on The Chase, as a chaser, everyone would win a fortune!

Comment

Squarewheelbike wrote: Yesterdays had "CJ from Eggheads" on who won. Anyone know why he's not on Eggheads anymore, flounced or pushed?
                      Apparently, he left to become a West End actor. Give me a world geography question, and I'll nail it every time - Nauru, Tuvalu, Marshall Islands and Micronesia usually come up.

Comment

I got nine pointless answers on the football managers round yesterday. It should've been even more but missed the detail about caretakers being allowed.

Comment

frontier psychiatrist wrote: I got nine pointless answers on the football managers round yesterday. It should've been even more but missed the detail about caretakers being allowed.
                          What was the question?

Comment

Name nine pointless football managers...

Comment

It was name managers of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Manchester City during the time that Alex Ferguson has been in charge at Manchester United.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Name nine pointless football managers...
                                Gordon Fucking Strachan for a start!

Comment

southportzeb wrote: It was name managers of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Manchester City during the time that Alex Ferguson has been in charge at Manchester United.
                                  Going to have to catch up on iplayer, though I would have gone for Bobby Campbell.

Comment

Watched a Pointless from a few days ago on catch-up last night, to witness what Richard Osman said was probably his favourite answer ever. Picture question in the H2H round, five images supposed to indicate signs of the zodiac. One pair of contestants opted for the picture of old-fashioned balancing scales, and did some slightly too-subtle thinking. Brilliant.

Comment

I've just done the "When it it good tactics to deliberately mess up your first go in hope that the jackpot goes up?" calculation. The answer is that it depends on the size of the jackpot, how confident you are of getting to the final and how often jackpots get won. If you're 50% certain or less of getting to the final it's never in your interests to play that trick, but if you're more than 50% certain it can be, depending on those three factors. The tactic is favoured by low jackpots, low jackpot winning frequencies and high confidence of getting to the final.

Comment

Who are those two brothers who tuck their bad shirts in to their bad jeans? They gave me the creeps.

Comment

Not being sartorially-inclined to any degree, I never noticed, but how unlucky were that Round 1 team to go out on 7 - everyone else appeared to be geographic geniuses?

Comment

I think it was more the case that they'd familiarised themselves with the Pointless roster of tiny countries.

Comment

A few weeks back there was a round of "Fictional Mothers" - name any offspring of any of the characters from this list. A round where there are few enough correct answers for Richard to read each one out along with the score it would have got, all except my answer of Hugo Simpson, evil conjoined twin of Bart.

Comment

I hadn't a fucking clue as to who plays at the "Matchroom Stadium"...

Comment

Orient?

Comment

Could a man who's spent 23 years in the Metropolitan Police really not know what a consonant is?

If so, wow.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X