• Show
Clear All

Have we done "Pointless"?

Because it's bloody brilliant.

Nil thread.

Comment

No, but I've been meaning to start a Pointless thread ever since it was the source of my 'diagonal knight's move' query. It's the best quiz on telly, for many reasons that I will get round to listing. The only drawback to watching it is that it's on at teatime, and by the time it's over the kids have got very hungry.

Comment

I think we have. I have soime vague recollection of discussing it, but, y'know, the search function. I like it though.

Comment

It came up in this thread, and I habve a feeling it's been mentioned elsewhere too.

But yeah, it's brilliant. Everything about it is perfect, from its rewarding of obscure knowledge, and its unapologetic mix of the high and low brow to the individual and collective greatness of Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman. I love it.

Comment

A bit here: http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,73/func,view/catid,30/id,455157/#455243

Comment

Comment

Pointless is good fun and Alexander Armstrong is a great host. The basic concept is a complete lift from Tony Wilson's short lived Channel 5 vehicle Topranko though.

Good as A Armstrong is, he hasn't quite managed to lead into an episode with the words, 'Michel Foucault once said....'

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
                  No, but I've been meaning to start a Pointless thread ever since it was the source of my 'diagonal knight's move' query. It's the best quiz on telly, for many reasons that I will get round to listing. The only drawback to watching it is that it's on at teatime, and by the time it's over the kids have got very hungry.
                  It's on iPlayer, fortunately.

Comment

benjm wrote:
                    Pointless is good fun and Alexander Armstrong is a great host. The basic concept is a complete lift from Tony Wilson's short lived Channel 5 vehicle Topranko though.

Good as A Armstrong is, he hasn't quite managed to lead into an episode with the words, 'Michel Foucault once said....'
                    That sounds superb, and it passed me right by. Was it just on Granada, or did we get it in places like That London as well?

(Incidentally, was Paul S's post a clever gag, there?)

Comment

Topranko's a new one on me too.

And yes, I think that was indeed a (decent) gag from Paul above.

Comment

I first saw it when I was on long term sick leave last Spring and became mildly addicted. This was at the time when when it was hidden on BBC2 in the afternoon schedule. Yet every time I brought it into conversation, nobody had ever heard of it.

Trouble is, I can’t watch it anymore. It reminds me of being laid up in bed, and rearranging my day to not only watch Armstrong and Osman, but the very worst of daytime television. Not the most memorable time of my life.

Plus everybody’s heard of it now.

Comment

(Incidentally, was Paul S's post a clever gag, there?)
                          Yes it was! I'm glad somebody got it.

Comment

It's one of the best quiz shows on at the moment. And probably one of the few not to descend into the "celebrity" episodes (yet. Or maybe it has already, in which case fuck it). Armstrong is a great host, it's much better than his other show, Epic Win. Even with his obvious tongue-in-cheek presentation, it's still utterly rank.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                              It's one of the best quiz shows on at the moment. And probably one of the few not to descend into the "celebrity" episodes (yet. Or maybe it has already, in which case fuck it).
                              It's been done Sean

Comment

It was titled "Pointless Celebrities" though - you've gotta like that.

Comment

Why at Last! wrote:
                                  benjm wrote:

That sounds superb, and it passed me right by. Was it just on Granada, or did we get it in places like That London as well?
                                  I think it must have been available in That London. I was there at the time and saw it, without any recollection of it being a Gus Honeybun-like holiday viewing curio.

Liking Paul S's gag too, but unsure whether acknowledging it goes against the spirit of the thing.

Comment

Tough call on the final yesterday, I thought - Michael Crichton novels. I reckoned I was in with a chance with The Andromeda Strain, but even that was one of the most popular answers.

Best answer of the programme was to "Name a founder member of the Warsaw Pact"... Japan.

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
                                      Tough call on the final yesterday, I thought - Michael Crichton novels. I reckoned I was in with a chance with The Andromeda Strain, but even that was one of the most popular answers.

Best answer of the programme was to "Name a founder member of the Warsaw Pact"... Japan.
                                      Yes, from a lad who'd done History A-level, no less.

I'm with you on Michael Crichton. I've been looking at the "American Novelists" category a bit longingly for days, hoping it'd be Fitzgerald or something, but worried it'd be someone I hadn't read, like Dom DeLillo or one of them new guys. But Crichton? Even worse. His stuff is either made into films, in which case everybody knows it, or not, in which case nobody does, including me.

Comment

On the other hand, Richard Osman's worst category ever, Hollywood couples and the films on which they met, I thought was OK: only medium-tough. I'd have got "To Have And Have Not" for Bogie and Bacall on the first run, for example, though the second was trickier.

Comment

Love "Pointless" but I don't understand why it's padded out to 45 minutes when it could quite easily be done and dusted in less than half-an-hour.

Comment

No, one of the many things I love about it is that they take their time over it and Richard Osman is given the opportunity to pick over every single answer.

Comment

Yeah, the idea of shortening it is utter madness.

Comment

wittoner wrote:
                                                No, one of the many things I love about it is that they take their time over it and Richard Osman is given the opportunity to pick over every single answer.
                                                I love Richard Osman, I actually think he's much better and more charismatic than Alexander Armstrong, who seems to be playing a bland quiz master slightly too convincingly, but they could easily chop at least 5 minutes off the beginning of the programme as it's just a load of faff of Alexander talking to the contestants (perhaps I should just tune in 5 minutes later).

One of the reasons I love "University Challenge" and to a lesser extent "Mastermind" is because there are lots of questions, which is what I want from a quiz show.

Comment

I love Pointless, we record it every day. 45 minutes is quite long, but we fast forward through the banter, and pause to brainstorm after the questions. Takes about three-quarters of an hour all in all.

Some of survey results dumbfound me though, especially in the head-to-head round where there are usually ten or fewer* possible answers. Where the hell did they find 3 people who'd heard of Celtic but not Rangers? Or the 3 people who couldn't name the pound sterling as a currency? World Cup Final goalscorers and Carlos Alberto was pointless?

What I'd also like to know is whether the 100 people surveyed can only offer as many answers as there actually are. Otherwise a category like Colours of the Olympic Rings would've scored 100 points for all five answers, as the questionees who didn't know all five would use the 100 seconds to guess every colour they can think of.

My all time favourite answer on this was on Countries with a Mediterranean Coastline: Dominican Republic – the contestant had recently been there. And more recently, someone thought Gordon Brown was a Conservative. Although I think I laughed the most when nobody could name a U2 single.

*That reminds me, who else thinks Armstrong is instructed to say "You're looking for 25 or less", and hates himself every time.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X