Spider-Man : Into The Spider-Verse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spider-Man : Into The Spider-Verse

An absolute must see for anyone with even the vaguest interest in comic book adaptations/superhero movies - even if you’re tiring of the MCU and DC films.

The presence of the Phil Lord/Christopher Miller creative team behind ‘The Lego Movie’ is a welcome signal of its style & quality as is the the excellent voice cast. The animation and plot also make it the movie most true to the feel of a comic that I can recall seeing.

Don’t ignore it thinking it’s “a kids movie” - while the PG rating is fitting and children will enjoy the film, it is smart, witty, sometimes emotional and always absorbing for adults.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-01-2019, 00:05.

Agreed, I really liked it and I haven’t said that about many recent Marvel films

Comment

Included my thoughts in the animated films thread.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - **** I had to take my daughter to the bathroom during the part where the multi-verses was introduced, so maybe I missed an explanation about that, but the main conceit about multiple universes, all with their own Spider-heroes seemed kind of thin, but good lord, it doesn't matter. What a feast for the eyes. The art is dazzling, I didn't even care about not being much of a Spider-Man fan. The different styles not only of the different characters but sometimes even in the same scenes may grow old on repeat viewings, but watching it for the first time I was blown away. You don't see major movies like this willing to try so many different things all that often, and especially not pulling it off like they do here.

Comment

This is a phenomenally good film. Like Inca, I loved how it consisted of different animation styles. For a large part of the film it looked so sumptuous that there were many times where I forgot I was watching an animated film at all. The way they interspersed this with the 'comicy' scenes worked really well and showed a real love for the source material. Heck, there was even a comics code symbol at the beginning so you knew you were going to be in safe hands. I also loved the closing credits - check them out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLc57A7Mno.

It's a real bugbear of mine that all of these big live action comic adaptations haven't translated into comic book sales. Maybe this film might make a difference. Certainly the three children I saw this with (2 teenagers, my godchildren, and my son - aged 8) all came out saying that they loved the comic style of the film. Maybe they just said it because they thought that's what I'd want them to say, I don't know. And talking of appealing to kids, I loved the way that there were so many different iterations of Spiderman so therefore so many different ones that you could identify with. Me, I'm old school so Peter Parker, obviously. My goddaughter; SpiderGwen, my godson; Mile Morales, my son; the Japanese girl and the robot. So, as Ray has said, it truly was a film for both young and old. It's got a heart and is also very funny in parts too. Dads everywhere will love the bit where Miles Morales' dad drops him off at his high school in Brooklyn and won't leave until Miles says 'I love you Dad.'

Live action superhero films are on their way out. One day all superhero films will be made this way. And it makes sense really, to do comic books adaptations as animated films as it's so much closer to the source material, stylistically. It's no coincidence that the two best superhero films of last year - this and Teen Titans Go to the Movies - were animated ones.
        Last edited by Jon; 01-02-2019, 00:44.

Comment

Working...
        X