Sopranos at 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sopranos at 20

Today is the 20th anniversary of the Sopranos. Favourite scenes?

The one in the sna' in the woods.

Comment

That's one of the best television programmes ever made. Even as a stand alone.

The first episode I ever saw was the first episode of the third Series, where they're planting the bug in his house, that's well up there. I knew I had to watch the rest of these shows as soon as possible. A couple of episodes later you get Livia's funeral/wake.

Comment

Any scenes between Tony and Junior or Tony and Janice. The Janice and Richie storyline and its conclusion. Tony and Ralphie fight and the wig issues.

Comment

Employee of the Month (S3E4), closing scene, when Melfi pauses before saying that no, She has nothing to tell Tony (about her rapist being freed).

But the whole of series 3 is as good as it gets.

Comment

The one where they clip Pussy.

Pretty much any of the scenes with Sil and Paulie Walnuts, including Sil doing Al Pacino.

But when you start listing them you realise the list list would be endless. I just thought of what, if memory serves was Sil's only hit, poor Adriana.

Comment

So many great episodes and so many great moments and quotes. The thing is, the more I rewatch it, the more I get to hate all these people. The first time I rewatched it, I became really repelled by Paulie Walnuts. Second time I was alnost glad when Christoffa died. Third time, I began to really despise Tony.

My nominee for favourite moment must be when Furio -- "Mr Williams" -- explains his feelings about golf to Uncle Junior's unreachable oncologist: "Stupidefuckinegame", Whever I hear the word golf or see golf, I say "Stupidefuckinegame".

The scene jwdd27 refers to kills me every time.

Comment

Sil took care of someone in the penultimate (if not the last) episode for trying to turn him against Tony iirc.

There are too many brilliant scenes and characters to do it it justice. Paulie busting Christopher's balls all the time, even sniffing Adriana's underwear. Christopher repeatedly getting told to shut the fuck up by Tony, his intervention scene, shooting the baker. Sil and Tony doing their best Raging Bull impression when the intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana is heard in a restaurant. Pretty much every scene with Uncle Junior is wonderful.

Daniel Harris tweeted an awful lot of brilliant scenes yesterday (and is still going) https://twitter.com/DanielHarris/sta...79502875664384
                Last edited by RobW; 11-01-2019, 12:53.

Comment

I am ignoring the previous posts due to spoilers and just posting to say that, by coincidence, Mrs B and I finally started watching the final series on the day it was 20 years old. Indeed, Ray put a picture on FB to mark the 20th year and I thought he knew we had only just started. As I have said before, I watched the original series up until the second part of the last series and then, for some odd reason, stopped. I realised I was going to have to watch it all again before watching the last half of the final series and, luckily, Mrs B wanted to watch the whole thing as she hadn't previously. It has been fantastic as I had forgotten a lot - indeed, I wonder if I watched the previous time completely hammered - and am gearing up to the ones that are completely new to me. Lots of favourites scenes - like many, my favourite episode is 'Pine Barrens; and I also loved the episodes in Italy. Two of my favourite sequences have very little or no dialogue and are brilliant as much due to the music - the opening montage of ' "Guy Walks into a Psychiatrist's Office..." with "Summer Breeze" being played over it and the scene with the 'Every breath you take/Peter Gunn" playing over the FBI trying to keep track of the Sopranos.

It is wonderful, the 21st century Shakespeare (but so much better) and one of mankind's greatest achievements.

Comment

I was watching the first two episodes with my Dad last night, and somethiing struck me about Livia soprano. She's just such an amazing character, but she's simultaneously 10 years too old to be Tony's mother, and 10 years too young to be as old as she's letting on. Tony is 37 at the start of the sopranos and Livia is 70. 33 is a bit late for a mobster's wife to be having her second kid. She should be 60. The other thing is she's only 70 and she's going on as though she's in her mid eighties. My Dad was a very old 70, and he was nowhere near as old as livia Soprano.

Comment

Wasn't the actress terminally ill at the time of filming?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Interesting story, possibly apocryphal is that there was an actual mafia don in therapy at the time. Both David Chase and Kenneth Lonergan got to hear about this- Lonergan's mother was a psychiatrist. Chase wrote The Sopranos and Lonergan wrote Analyze This.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                            Wasn't the actress terminally ill at the time of filming?
                            Only in the last series though, wasn't it?

Comment

Nancy Marchand died of lung cancer between Seasons Two and Three.

Comment

It must have come on her pretty quickly, coz they had to entirely rewrite season 3 which was going to be mostly about her testifying against Tony in court.

Comment

Her husband died of cancer urging Season Two, so she may have had other things on her mind when that story arc was written.

Comment

If you google pictures of her, a lot of the photos from the set, show her wearing the oxygen tube under her nose. which is never a good sign.

Comment

She had emphysema, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Nancy Marchand died of lung cancer between Seasons Two and Three.
                                        Sorry, I meant only in the last series that she featured that she was ill which was series two. Upon rewatching, it is remarkable how the CGI (or whatever it was back then) has aged.

Comment

Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Meadow) is now 37, older than Edie Falco was when she started playing Carmela. Which is how time works, but still hard to imagine.
                                          It did help with authenticity that the actors were pretty much playing their own ages, in so many shows the teenage daughter is an obvious 25 year old dressed up in kids clothes and given a "young" haircut, likewise the mothers.
                                          Michael Imperioli was an exception, he is/was only five years younger than Gandolfini

Comment

Authenticity may also have been helped by similarities in the actors' and characters' lives. Tony Sirico (Paulie) was an ex-con with a pretty heavy record - there's an amusing comment on Wikipedia that he agreed to take the part only on condition that his character would not be a rat - and Robert Iler (A J) was going off the rails like his character, with a robbery conviction.

Comment

Matthew Bevilaqua in real life.

Comment

And he looked the most miscast character in the whole show!

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  The one in the sna' in the woods.
                                                  On hearing from Tony about the Russian green beret type who single handedly killed 16 Chechen rebels and worked for the Interior ministry

Paulie Gaultieri: "You're not going to believe this. He killed 16 Czechoslovakians.The guys an interior designer.

Christopher: (pauses) And his house looked like shit

Pine Barrens. Has to to be the best episode, from start to finish, if slightly as an outlier as it's played for laughs so determinedly. Directed by Buscemi, as many of the better one were.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X