• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stan and Ollie

Out this weekend
    ​​​​​​
    I am already giddy!

4 stars from Empire, hoping to get along on Sunday, my Mam and Dad saw them on that tour on what was probably one of their first dates.

Comment

I'm looking forward to it as well - just listened to Maron interviewing Coogan on his podcast. The last 30 minutes or so are dedicated to Stan and Ollie.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-983-steve-coogan

Comment

Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy were pure genius, All that needs to be said.

Comment

The obvious affection that Stan and "Babe" had for one another was really touching., I'm sure the film brings that out.

Comment

It does. I really enjoyed it but as much for the recreation of 1950s Britain and the clothes and interiors. There is a bit too much emotional music ladled on at times.
            But yes, do see it- Coogan is impressive

Comment

Brilliant and lovely and funny.

Last night I took Wife and our two early twenty-something children to see Stan and Ollie in a worryingly less than half full Odeon in Aylesbury.. We all loved it.

My kids, as I was in my urchin-hood, were introduced, some say, indoctrinated to Laurel and Hardy films by their Dad.

Daren't say too much for fear of spoilers but the word play between them on the boat deck scene towards the end is lovely where Stan and Ollie interact in a comedic back and forth only for Ollie to run out of ideas, asks for help and says thank you after Stan finishes the line.

The wives are bloody good too.

Maybe later on we can go into a bit more detail.

Comment

Indeed.

Funny, touching and poignant.

Comment

Finally went to see this in Edinburgh on Friday - very moving portrayal of the greatest comedy double act that ever lived.

Similarly, I'll avoid all spoilers here, but how those theatres weren't packed to the rafters from day one, I've no idea. (With a small amount of irony, this was echoed by the paltry turnout at the Omni...)

Well worth seeing, IMO.

Comment

All their tours were packed. That's one of the many bits of license taken. There's a photo of them near Central Station in Glasgow, mobbed by hundreds of people.

Comment

I saw this in Aberdeen last week and I really enjoyed it. The ending was really good and I left the cinema feeling really good about it all. Having the original Laurel and Hardy skits alongside the credits at the end was clever - and kept me until the very last credit had rolled!

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        All their tours were packed. That's one of the many bits of license taken. There's a photo of them near Central Station in Glasgow, mobbed by hundreds of people.
                        Yeah, that's what I thought.

Comment

I just asked my dad about it, and he said that their visit to Ireland was such a huge deal, that if jesus chose that weekend to stage the second coming, he'd have got a very poor turnout

Comment

Well, I'd thought this, but on seeing the movie assumed that I must have been wrong. I wonder then why they felt the need to take such licence with something that didn't especially alter the course of the storyline?

Comment

The visit to Ireland is treated as a huge deal. As for the earlier parts of the tour being poorly attended, I guess they needed that bit of license to stress how far they'd fallen from their late 30s heights, only to clamber back up a little. I loved the film - I think they did about as good a job with that particular story as could possibly be done. A classic four out of five job.

Comment

I suppose they wanted to add a bit of tension, after all, two decent middle aged men who liked each other and spent a lifetime in showbusiness go on vastly popular tour doesn't really sell itself. They also sold out in France and Germany on the same trip.

Comment

Finally saw it. What a beautiful movie. I very rarely get moist eyes at movies, but here I did.

I'm puzzled that John C. Reilly did not even get nominated for an Oscar. The Academy loves impressions so much that they gave Rami Malek an Oscar for good lip-synching while wearing false teeth and a moustache. But all the time you knew it was an actor impersonating Freddie Mercury. In Stan and Ollie, occasionally Stan became a bit Patridge, but Reilly was Oliver Hardy.

Comment

I just watched it with my Dad, and it was such a lovely film. my enjoyment of the film was however severely diminished towards the end of the movie because I just kept getting something caught in first one eye and then the other.

Comment

Just watched this and echo all of the above. Gentle, kind-hearted, funny and very touching.

I thought Coogan and Reilly were absolutely terrific. I can't recall a biographical film when, to my mind's eye at least, the actors looked and sounded so much like the individuals they were portraying.

Not mentioned so far, but I thought the scenes involving Bernard Delfont were some of the funniest in the film.

My old man loves L & H. I'll have to make sure he sees the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Not mentioned so far, but I thought the scenes involving Bernard Delfont were some of the funniest in the film.

My old man loves L & H. I'll have to make sure he sees the film.
                                        Interesting how, initially, the Delfont character comes across as a bit of a twat but then you see him start to see how he starts to love them.
                                        I hope your Dad enjoys it, Sir.

I've seen it twice now, the second time at a full Rex Cinema in Berkhamstead...I nicked off work for a couple of hours to watch a matinee....on a school day...target audience defined..before I returned to work with colleagues looking at my eyes rather too keenly..

Comment

On the Beeb in ten minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                          X