Improbably poor marksmanship in films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(I discovered Roger Ebert had coined a term for this: The Principle of Evil Marksmanship.)

I find Return of the Jedi borderline unwatchable because of this (and that's before the Ewoks appear). According to Wikipedia, the stormtroopers were all clones, which raises the question: why didn't they clone a soldier who could actually shoot straight?

You may, of course, add notable examples of your own.

Considering some action films now want to track a CG-created bullet in sleek-looking slow-motion from the moment it leaves the barrel of a gun, the hero can now pick his nose and inspect the chewing gum on the sole of his shoe moments before the bloody thing reaches him.

Comment

It's not all poor marksmanship you know. Arnie had a bulletproof bush to hide behind in Commando.

Comment

Every episode of the A-Team.

Comment

The climactic shootout between Martin Q. Blank and Grocer in Grosse Pointe Blank.

Great film though.

Comment

Every single James Bond film (where he gets shot at about 500 times from almost point blank range and never gets hit) and, of course, the bit in every single film where the normally teutonic baddy constructs some bizarre way for Bond to die like leaving him in a burning elevator shaft, or hanging him over a pit of sharks, instead of just shooting the cunt!

Comment

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathTrap

Comment

I seem to remember that the original series of 'V' back in the mid '80s had some particularly bad shooting aliens.

Yeah, they'd discovered the cure for cancer but couldn't shoot straight.

Comment

For some reason, the missus recorded the damn god damn awful "Knight and Day", the other night - and declared a "family film watch".Which means we all sit down in some kind of family togetherness and watch something.

Even my sons were shocked at the terrible shooting by the bad guys,with their automatic weopens and the ease that the Tom Cruise character would wipe out hundreds with a pistol.
                  And then the supposedly hopeless amateur, played by Cameron Diaz would kill someone with a single lucky shot.

I actually think "Knight and day" could be the worse film I have seen in a long ,long time. But I did have very low expectations.

Comment

Working...
                  X