Faint (TV and) filmic claims to fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife when she was at school , had a Saturday job in a Chemist in Sunninghill , near Ascot.

One day Jack Nicholson came in , and bought something; but didn't have any cash, so he had a cheque book - I presume a UK cheque book , which sounds odd; but anyway, my wife (who was not up on film stars other than John Travolta at the time) refused, as he had no i.d.

Jack is supposed to have said (I imagine in true Jack ala Chinatown voice) "Do you know who I am young lady?" to which my wife said "no", and he stomped out.

Her friend who was in the shop at the time, clued her in afterwards.

Comment

I played the banjo on the late late toy show (which is a big deal) except I wasn't the focus of the thing. the small cute dancers were. I was hidden behind a big pile of soft toys and backlit.

John Fashanu was on, demonstrating a toy which consisted of a small basketball hoop attached to a belt, and the object of the game was to propel a ball which was tied on with a string through the hoop by thrusting your groin.

I was also abused by Rich Hall, for sitting in the front row of another episode of the Late Late. he called me a scruffy little woodland creature. I felt 12 feet tall. Rich hall is one of my favourite comedians, and by all accounts the nicest and most genuine people in show business

Comment

I can be seen, briefly, getting on a bus in 'The Ragman's Daughter'.

DeNiro and Scorsese came into the winery one Thursday afternoon. They split a bottle of good red.

James Woods was guest at a wedding I worked.

I drove Meg Ryan to Manchester Airport.

Comment

I saw Karen Dunbar in a surf shop at Maroubra Beach a few years back. I said something very witty to her as a bit of a conversation starter.

She looked at me as if I was something she had picked up on the bottom of her shoe after a stroll in Dave Prowse's back yard.

I moved on.....

Comment

One of my friends - and sometime WSC contributor on Argentina before I started writing for them properly - Joel Richards has a lot of things on his CV, but among them is not, for some reason, the fact that he once acted as Sly Stallone's translator when the latter visited Madrid whilst Joel was living there.

He doesn't even tell people. I found out from Jonathan Wilson during the Copa América and had to text Joel, who confirmed it.

Comment

I wonder who translates for him in Britain.

I like the way that you put the more interesting name-drop as an adjunct.

Comment

My daughter is in the same nursery class as the son of Olivia Coleman (Sophie from Peep Show). She says that he’s invited her for tea, but no invite has been forthcoming.

I’ve played poker with Victoria Coren and Silent Witness’ William Gaminara.

I used to be good mates with a bloke who did a series of McDonald’s ads about 20 years ago. I insulted his girlfriend a few years back and we haven’t spoken since.

In our local Sainsbury’s I’ve seen the woman who plays Shirley in Eastenders and the woman who plays Tracey Barlow in Corrie – though not together.

Rupert Penry Jones is an old school friend of my next door neighbour. I was introduced to him and his wife, Dervla Kirwan, at the neighbour’s 40th birthday party last summer.

Comment

Ooh, that reminds me - I serviced Dervla Kirwan's boiler at her flat in Chelsea once.

And I just got reminded elsewhere that Anna Carteret found me, the GLW and YMG admiring her rosebushes once, so she invited us into her house. She gave us sandwiches and a drink of squash and then gave us a guided tour, showing off her husband's BAFTAs, among other bits and pieces. She's lovely.

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
                    ...I serviced Dervla Kirwan's boiler...
                    ...Anna Carteret found me, the GLW and YMG admiring her rosebushes...
                    EUPHAGASM!!!

Sorry. I'm feeling particularly immature today!

Comment

I had the daughter of a heart-throbby member of the Holby City cast in my class last year.

I was once interviewed by Bernard Falk off Nationwide and Breakaway whilst dressed as an enormous die.

Comment

Kathryn Apanowicz - once of BBC soaps Eastenders and Angels, and the widow of Richard Whiteley - used to drink at one of my local bars: I was in there the night she tripped on a coatstand on the way out, knocking it into a table of people whose drinks were sent everywhere.

Mind you, Balham's bars have been frequented by a few names o'er the years, most of whom I knew in some capacity. Arthur Smith (who lived opposite me at Du Cane Court back in the day) used to drink at The Devonshire and Goblin's, as did Harry Hill, Herring & Lee, Vinnie Jones, Princess Diana's driver and my good friend Peter Baynham. I'm told Ronan Keating also popped into Goblin's once or twice, but thankfully not when I was there.

Comment

I also fixed a shower for Eamonn Holmes' next-door neighbour in Thames Ditton. I'd forgotten about that one.

Comment

I can be seen in the background of an episode of Tales of the Unexpected episode, and of Kathy Staff sitcom No Frills.

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
                              I can be seen in the background of an episode of Tales of the Unexpected episode...
                              You had to be a babe in arms, surely?

Comment

Nah, it didn't start until 1979, by which time I was already 11.

Comment

My dad is going to volunteer on house build for Extreme Makeover Home Edition.

Comment

M'lovely wife applied to appear on Wife Swap, and we had a couple of telephone interviews with the production team before their interest thankfully cooled.

Comment

Natalie Portman asked me for directions near St Pauls, she was tiny but ridiculously pretty, I'm amazed that I managed to speak.

Comment

As a comedy reviewer in Manchester in 2006, I was on the fringes of a lot of the acts who went on to appear on Michael McIntyre's show/Live At The Apollo and regularly went drinking with them.

Richard Herring also fondled my arse as we walked down Portland Street.

Comment

Oh, I represented Bury on the ITV Sport Channel quiz Do I Not Know That, hosted by Simon O'Brien, too.

Comment

- One of my parents' best friends was a guy who was a film set construction manager, and was in charge of building the set of Alien. He had a heart attack and died on the set of Alien 3.

- I introduced myself in the media room at the Olympic Staidum in Tokyo - where, I have to admit, I was a little tiddly on complimentary beer - to Anglia TV's former commentator by asking him, "Excuse me, are you Anglia TV's Gerry Harrison?", which leads me on to...

- When we moved to Hertfordshire from London, my junior school had just finished knitting the world's longest - so they claimed - football scarf. It was a Luton scarf and we paraded it on the pitch before a match between Luton Town and West Bromwich Albion, and got on Anglia's "Match Of The Week" that week.

- Mark Williams from The Fast Show/Harry Potter/Etc came up to a small group of us while we were on train to a Lewes match earlier this year and chatted to us for fifteen minutes as if he'd known us all our lives, all the while rueing the fact that he couldn't make the match that day because he'd promised he would take his daughter for the day.

- A guy that played the guitar in a band that I was in when I was 16 went on to become a session musician, I saw him miming on Des O'Connor Tonight with Martine McCutcheon.

Comment

I love this thread, as it stops me telling gossip.

I am fairly sure that someone who was in 'I, Clavdivs' (yes, I know), nicked a newspaper from my local store (whilst I was there, watching.)

I was in 'The Bill' twice (background), and the flat I stayed in, was in it once. (we got paid)

And a guy at my local, then (20 years ago), claimed to have slapped Pavarotti, for fucking up his orchestra, by singing too loudly next door. (which actually might be very true.)

Comment

Got abused on the radio by Nick Hancock who accused me of being a glory hunter for supporting Wales, true but unbelievable.

Comment

Mark Williams from The Fast Show/Harry Potter/Etc
                                                  I saw Mark Williams smoking a joint backstage at Reading

Comment

Paddy Considine is an occasional customer in the M & S Mrs of the Shed works in. He doesn't like being recognised, though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X