Faint (TV and) filmic claims to fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was working at the local art college, one of my student friends there briefly dated John Craven's daughter.

During one stay at their place (in the country) he teamed up with Craven Sr. to form a pub quiz duo on a Sunday lunchtime. They lost miserably. I've always thought of Craven as something of a charlatan ever since.

Now this is where I come into my own.

Sean Connery's brother used to babysit me.

My Mum shared a dressing room with Larry Grayson and Gary Glitter (separately, I think)

I used to work with Adrian Mills off of "That's Life"

I rented Michael "Boon" Elphick's villa in Portugal for a holiday once. Thrillingly, it is next door to Clive Dunn's villa. I never found out whether it was a street of D list celebs or just co-incidence.

I once filed Shaw "Keep 'em Peeled" Taylor's life insurance policy.

I took my son to the same park as Thandie Newton took her son

I met the voice of "Wendy" of Bob The Builder the other day.

Myself and Harry Truscott can be seen dancing by the side of the stage on Wham's TOTP performance of "Freedom"

I served Sarah Green in a restaurant that I worked when I was 16, back when she was dreamy

I asked out the daughter of the actress that played the daughter of Else Tanner in Coronation Street (she was also in "This Sporting Life", I've just found out). She declined.

Comment

I also knew the daughter of Ray Brooks who was in loads of things but mainly in Cathy Come Home

Comment

When I was a kid I was caught short and had to have a poo in a field just behind what I was led to believe was Dave Prowse's back garden.

I've always pictured him sat there dressed as the Green Cross Code Man having a cup of tea & reading the papers. He opened our school fete dressed as him once.

Comment

My sister used to babysit for the Hamburglar.

Comment

atlanticjaxx wrote:
            When I was a kid I was caught short and had to have a poo in a field just behind what I was led to believe was Dave Prowse's back garden.

I've always pictured him sat there dressed as the Green Cross Code Man having a cup of tea & reading the papers. He opened our school fete dressed as him once.
            You know he was Darth Vader too? So you channelled the dark side in his back yard, effectively? The rebels would be proud of you.

Comment

My sister sat three seats away from Steve Guttenberg in the dinner hall scene of Three Men and a Little Lady.

Comment

evilC wrote:
                You know he was Darth Vader too? So you channelled the dark side in his back yard, effectively? The rebels would be proud of you.
                My name is Luke too.

Although, if I was a Jedi I reckon I would have the power to control my bladder for the 400yds it would have took me to have got home.

Comment

You keep poo in your bladder?

Comment

Sheriff John Stone wrote:
                    You keep poo in your bladder?
                    I keep my piss in my guts too. Could be a Jedi thing... I could probably keep my poo in your guts if I wanted to.

(didn't think I would googling - Where is faeces stored before you have to use the toilet? at 1.35am on a Saturday morning, but I am)

Comment

I know several people who've been on Casualty. Mind you, practically everyone my age who grew up within about 30 miles of Bristol knows someone who's been on Casualty.

When I was visiting home last Christmas I went along to one of my old salsa teachers' new classes, and a girl was there who I've danced with a bunch of times, with a guy who was clearly her boyfriend. I might be mistaken, but I remember thinking at the time that it was the guy who plays George (the werewolf) in Being Human.

If you Google my name, I turn up on the first page of results (a link to my Soccernet column at the bottom, and also a link to my Flickr photostream in the actual results). Dominating the first page is Sam Kelly the rather better-known actor, of 'Allo 'Allo fame.

(That last one has to be the worst one anyone manages on this thread. Essentially; I've written some stuff on the internet, and share my name with a TV actor.)

Comment

Pierce Brosnan bought me a double scotch in the bar of the Merrion in Dublin.

I made Alf Molina a sandwich (several actually.)

I had a brief chat about stamp collecting with Raymond Burr.

Comment

I sold John 'Blake Carrington' Forsyth a set of towels.

Comment

My mum saw Jack Nicholson in the souvenir shop at Wimbledon. She didn't recognise him until her friend pointed him out.

I sat next to Stephen McGann, the fourth most famous McGann brother, in the pub once.

I offered my teamsheet to Desmond Lynam at an Orient-Brighton game. He had arrived quite late and there weren't any left.

Comment

I served Jonathon Ross and Annie Lennox once (they weren't together)

I have a mate who is Pierce Brosnan's cousin.

I chatted to James Gandolfini's sister in Harrods who looked less like Janice Soprano and more like James Gandolfini in a wig.

Comment

From the OTF 'As Has Been Mentioned Before' Department:

During the seventies, my family were quite friendly with that of Peter Firmin - he of Pogles' Wood, Noggin the Nog, Clangers and Bagpuss fame.

Just a kid myself, I made one or two planets for the Clangers' backdrop and knew Emily from Bagpuss's shop, who was the youngest of Firmin's six daughters. (I also dated one of the other sisters very briefly when I was fourteen, but she wasn't 'famous' as such...)

Comment

In a previous job that involved travelling a lot I have had breakfast in a Little Chef next to Barry McGuigan and an evening meal next to Tony Adams, sadly lunctimes were uneventful.

Comment

I served johnny lee miller booze for several hours without recognizing him. I would have thrown him a couple of free pints if I'd known he'd been married to angelina and lived to tell the tale.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                      Pierce Brosnan bought me a double scotch in the bar of the Merrion in Dublin.
                                      I sold Pierce Brosnan a book, and we talked about Guy de Maupassant. It was a shame when I had to decline his AmEx card, since the bookstore didn't take AmEx at the time.

I've met Kate Hudson at my wife's high school reunion, as well as Jessica Alba's husband (she didn't go along with him, unfortunately). I've also been at a party with Emily Deschanel ("Bones").

My best friend from high school went to NYU and her roommate later went on to write and act in some "mumblecore" films.

Comment

Keith Allen (Lily's old man) bought me a pint once when I was working as a barman.

Comment

I was on Newsround as a kid.

I've had several pints with Brian Cox.

I've sat near Claire Danes and some other actor she was/is going out with in a pub.

A mate of my dad's writes screenplays.

Comment

I have no such celeb-acquaintance stories with which to offer this thread and find myself envious of the many examples put forward.

You're all bastards and I hate you.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                              I've had several pints with Brian Cox.
                                              Was this with Brian "the universe is amaaayyyyzing" Cox or Brian "Hannibal Lecter" Cox?

Comment

The former.

Comment

I sang on the soundtrack of a studenty short film called Good Looks, scored and conducted by Nicholas Hooper, who went on to write the music for two of the Harry Potter films.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X