Incongruous real-life instcs of film placenames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I know, instcs is neither a word nor a recognised abbrev'n. I had to make a choice - perhaps not the most astute choice, but a well-meant one - as to how to economise on characters to meet the thread title length limit.

Anyway, what's the most incongrous real-life instance you've encountered of a place name that you associate mainly with a film? I think I've just found my new record incongruity.

The powers that be have just named the 5 residential neighbourhoods to be created as part of the London 2012 legacy. One of them is "Sweetwater".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14364485

If a bunch of guys ride up on horses and one of them is called Frank, be very afraid! Actually, I think I'd have been more energetic in bidding for Olympic tickets if I'd thought there was a decent chance of bumping into a young Claudia Cardinale in her best wild west finery.

The film has a line of scathing dialogue along the lines of "only a crazy fool like Brett McBain would call that stinking patch of desert "Sweetwater'". There's an easy line in there for anyone who wants to diss the charms of the L.B of Newham.

There is a tiny town in Colorado called Titfield. I drove through it during a thunderstorm. The weather forecast said imminent storms so I waited until it hit.

Comment

Paris, Texas

Comment

Also, why the hell did people from Reading and St Albans get to nomninate names?

Comment

Actually, having just re-read that BBC report, I have to say "East Wick" is absolutely inspired. An incontovertibly legitimate formation, as the area is really genuinely just to the east of Hackney Wick, but comically subversive at the same time.

Comment

One of the roads in our village is called "Cloverfield". Not sure JJ Abrahams has ever stayed in Whittle, but you never know.

Comment

adams house cat wrote:
              There is a tiny town in Colorado called Titfield. I drove through it during a thunderstorm. The weather forecast said imminent storms so I waited until it hit.
              Ace.

Comment

There's a car dealership near Cardiff called Griffin Mill, the name of the TimRobbins character in 'The Player'. It was called that before the film.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                  Also, why the hell did people from Reading and St Albans get to nomninate names?
                  That's the "it's not just the London games, it's the Olympics for the whole country" bit.

Comment

There's a village in County Donegal with the traditional Irish name of Magh. Unfortunately this is anglicised as Muff.

So every year a snigger or two is heard as the annual Muff Festival is held and the Muff Festival Queen is crowned.

And no, before you ask, it's not a popular spot for diving.

Comment

That's the "it's not just the London games, it's the Olympics for the whole country" bit.
                      Sure, but they're not naming a stadium or something. They're naming a part of London. I don't get to nominate names for a new housing estate in Reading and nor should I.

Comment

Working...
                      X