citizen smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

citizen smith

Does anyone remeber citzen smith watching it on youtube I was intrigued and fascinated by this sitcom. Has anyone got anything to say about it

citizen smith

They showed an episode on BBC2 a few weeks ago when John Sullivan died. I remember enjoying it when originally broadcast, but now it does seem awfully slow. One idea that I remember liking was that everyone called him buy a different name - Wolfie, Foxy, Yeti etc.

Comment

citizen smith

Loved it at the time (i.e. when I was eight or nine), but it probably hasn't aged well.

The scene I do remember is the final episode, where Wolfie gets hold of a tank and is driving it over Westminster Bridge to take over parliament.

I also own a 'Freedom For Tooting' t-shirt.

Comment

citizen smith

Having watched it again I half wish that they'd parodied the politics revolutionary politics are ripe for parody

Comment

citizen smith

Any TV series that gives airtime to Peter Vaughn is fine by me.

I seem to recall that Citizen Smith had quite a formative effect on our little group in the last year of primary school. I particularly remember attempting to unionise the rest of the pupils by carrying banners around the playground which read "Children's Union - No Teachers!"

Comment

citizen smith

I also liked "Get Some In" that Lindsay did for ITV around the same time.

Comment

citizen smith

A very good cast dishing up some fine character performances (particularly by the aforementioned Vaughan and Hilda Braid as the parents), but I personally was never a huge fan of Citizen Smith.

As an inhabitant of Balham, 'freedom from Tooting' feels more appropriate these days...

Comment

citizen smith

Remember thinking it had some similarities with "Only Fools & Horses" e.g. set in South London, the diverse characters who were friends of the main character etc., then saw there was actually an episode of Citizen Smith called "Only Fools & Horses". (Season 3 if I remember rightly).

Comment

citizen smith

Nigelwyn wrote:
                  They showed an episode on BBC2 a few weeks ago when John Sullivan died. I remember enjoying it when originally broadcast, but now it does seem awfully slow. One idea that I remember liking was that everyone called him buy a different name - Wolfie, Foxy, Yeti etc.
                  that was his girlfriends mother... and sadly was the funniest the show ever got...

Comment

citizen smith

Mumpo wrote:
                    Any TV series that gives airtime to Peter Vaughn is fine by me.

I seem to recall that Citizen Smith had quite a formative effect on our little group in the last year of primary school. I particularly remember attempting to unionise the rest of the pupils by carrying banners around the playground which read "Children's Union - No Teachers!"
                    The water cannon put a stop to that.

Comment

citizen smith

It's interesting what a long shadow Peter Vaughan casts over television programmes.

He was only in half the episodes of Citizen Smith and, astonishingly, appeared in just three episodes of Porridge.

Comment

citizen smith

Ok then ill be the one who mentions it on the off chance that someone doesnt know. Wolfies girlfriend became a real life MP didnt she?

Comment

citizen smith

I used to love this, Hilda Braid was my favourite.

Was she in "Metal Mickey" as well?

Comment

citizen smith

sw2boro wrote:
                            Was she in "Metal Mickey" as well?
                            You're thinking of Irene Handl.

Comment

citizen smith

"Hello Foxey"

Comment

citizen smith

My favourite episode of 'Citizen Smith' was when they try to kidnap a major industrialist. There is a bit where they are about to phone up the police to broadcast their demands and Wolfie asks Tucker to give the operation a name so the police will take them seriously and Tucker suggests Operation Meat Pie.

I have no idea why I found that so funny though. It's not funny written down.

Comment

Working...
                                X