dpispatches how do buy a football club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought some people round here might find it interesting it's on monday at 8 P.M.

Actually watching it is unbelieveable bryan robson's involved

Comment

Alex Ferguson's potential role has been massively overplayed. Nothing more than someone who is close to him bragging that he knows him in order to enhance his own professional means.

Bryan Robson should start being worried, despite him presenting the caveat regarding ownership of two clubs, and over selling stadia. If you're putting your name to a business whose model is basically saying "we are exploiting and working our way around established rules in order for you to become rich", then you're asking for trouble.

But none of the managers mentioned should be implicated in anything towards this, as there wasn't anything to pin against them.

Comment

Woah, hang on. Did I miss the Dispatches reporter refer to "Barnsley Town FC"? Ouch.

Comment

Also at the begining the said a big name in english football no offence to any blade fans out there but Sheffield United. Also the reporter says relegated to dvision one

Agreed about a number of people overplaying the Fergie there was nothing the programme accused him of anyway

Comment

Agreed about a number of people overplaying the Fergie there was nothing the programme accused him of anyway

The programme made it clear that the managers whose names were mentioned strenuously denied any involvement with the company that dealt with such machinations. At least it partially explains why Robson - dopey, twattish, hapless beacon of unawareness that he was - got the Thai national job, but he's got a shitload of explaining to do, and I would guess that a few chairmen of the clubs mentioned will be putting out official statements today in the light of this programme.

An engrossing hour (I could have done without the faux-urgent synths that popped in a few times) and it proves that you get many dodgy types who think they're a powerful influence when they're in the close proximity to the great and good of football.

I was wondering how Birmingham City fans feel this morning.

Comment

Yes but do we believe there denials though?

Comment

What evidence do we have in order to doubt any denials of involvement of any wrongdoing connected with the programme? Names were mentioned by someone mentioning their names for the sake of pushing a business deal through.

If we're to believe they were complicit, tt's like the Panorama "bungs" thing all over again. Where Harry Redknapp saying "I like Andy Todd" was considered by Panorama to have him bang to rights on charges of tapping up. And where a number of agants saying things was considered evidence that managers were definitely and brazenly corrupt. Spurious to say the least.

Comment

However, Harry Redknapp and Sam Allardyce were so outraged by the Panorama programme that they claimed they were going to sue. I expect they have spent most of the last five years finalising the legal documentation.

Comment

Well, there may have been something, but it hasn't come to light, and neither have been punished. So we can't claim them to be guilty of the allegations made. But the evidence offered in the programme didn't have them bang to rights, did it?

Chances are, as we are starting to find out over suing media outlets, is that it just doesn't seem worth the hassle, expense or time.

Comment

Robson set to sue dispatches

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ex-Manchester-United-captain-Bryan-Robson-to-take-legal-advice-over-Dispatches-allegations-article773785.html

Comment

Bryan Robson said:
                        "I am aware of (but have not yet seen) the Channel 4 production - Dispatches - How to Buy a Football Club," said Robson.

"I have seen certain newspaper articles written about it and I would like to make certain things clear.

"I am an advisor to the London Nominees Football Fund and was engaged to provide advice and assistance on the football side of investments only.

"While it may have been unwise to enter into discussions with unknown parties, much of the footage of me is unrepresentative of the views I expressed during the course of the meeting and has been presented in a way that is totally out of its context.

"The journalists were repeatedly told by me and others that owning multiple clubs was a breach of the rules and could not be done.

"I am appalled to learn that footage has been edited to suggest that I was involved in an attempt to try and breach these rules - which is something I would not do."
                        If he's not seen it yet, it's a bit presumptive to be suing the makers, no?

He's right that the journalists were repeatedly told that owning multiple clubs was a breach of the rules and could not be done. But isn't the video evidence offered by Dispatches showing Robson and associate telling the journos that they could put their names to a holding fund that would still be a breach of those rules?

Comment

Not saying I believe him also didn't dispatches do this before?

Comment

"While it may have been unwise to enter into discussions with unknown parties, much of the footage of me is unrepresentative of the views I expressed during the course of the meeting and has been presented in a way that is totally out of its context."

I'm stunned as to the 'out of context' claim because, as Kettle suggests, and from what I saw, the context - planning on making a bundle out of owning two or more league clubs - really couldn't be more clearer and fuller. Robson wasn't sneakily edited to look like a twat who endorsed illegal practices, he was filmed plainly endorsing such a move. Then again, he says he didn't see it, which as Kettle again refers, is a bit dopey of the fuckwit if he's thinking of suing Channel 4.

Robson came out of that documentary looking like a prize twat and only confirms his status as not the sharpest knife in the box. Some feedback I saw expressed the shame that Robson was totally pissed when he was being filmed. Personally, I recall his post-match interviews and I really couldn't tell the difference whether he was shit-faced or sober, such was his familiar, pondwater-dull, milk-float-slow drawl.

I don't know whether the Dispatches programme will change anything (I get the feeling it won't), but if it puts the kibosh on Robson approaching any managerial position again, then I won't be shedding any tears.

Comment

Finally saw this at lunchtime via 4OD, and agree that Robson made himself look at best pretty dopey.

The journalists were repeatedly told by me and others that owning multiple clubs was a breach of the rules and could not be done.
                              Right. Before it was quickly and 'expertly' suggested how they might create companies to front the deals and disguise any dual ownership? (I put it to you, Mr Robson, etc.)

However, there's nowt there that will put any practices or indeed anyone up before the beak. Probably not even Robbo, whose misplaced indignation suggests that he should've stuck with Jossie's Giants.

Comment

Working...
                              X