Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Which actors, by virtue of their presence on a cast list, convince you that the film's going to be a stinker?
    (Please note, this is based on reasonable expectations — if you go to see a Steven Seagal film for example, you should pretty much know what you're going to get.)

For me, it's got to be Sadie Frost and Mackenzie Crook. And increasingly, I'm disappointed to say, Ewan MacGregor.

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Anything that Harrison Ford has been involved in outside of the 'Indiana Jones' franchise has pretty much stunk the place out. And I'm not personally mad about the 'Indiana Jones' stuff either. Or 'Star Wars'.

And Cuba Gooding Jnr. What the hell is he all about?

I don't think Colin Firth's name on the credits is much reassurance in terms of quality control either.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Anna Friel
      Most (if not all) of the Friends
      Val Kilmer

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Nicolas Cage.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

I don't think I've seen anything Cameron Diaz has done since Being John Malkovich.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Come to think of it, I'm struggling to think of the last decent thing Nicole Kidman did.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

The Tom Clancy films he did were ok, as was Witness and Mosquito Coast. Colin Firth was good in the first Fever Pitch. Nicole Kidman was in The Human Stain, which was ok as was Cold Mountain. Nicolas Cage was good in Raising Arizona and Lord of War.

However, all of those actors do seem to make a lot of poor choices, or maybe they don't choose they just appear in the next thing to appear on their desk, I think Jon Voight does this. He's in everything.

To my knowledge, overrated "eye-candy" Jessica Alba has never been in anything good, neither has lad's magazine favorite Jessica Biel and their appearance is a pretty near iron-clad garauntee of suckitude. Because if the film didn't totally suck, the directors would have got somebody better to play "the girl" like maybe Natalie Portman or Kate Hudson.

Adam Sandler is becoming synonymous with shit.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Brilliant. The only two names on my own personal "Must Never Act Again" list have already been mentioned. Mssrs Cage and Gooding, Jr.
                Utterly dreadful, both.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

TOM HANKS. And Adam Sandler yes.

Jessica Alba is so sweet and gorgeous she makes even rubbish like The Love Guru and Good Luck Chuck and The Eye watchable. Ish.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Alba was also in Sin City, which was great.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Sin City worked despite Alba.

Ryan Reynolds is getting his shift in as to being the poster boy for crap movies - hence Blade: Trinity the other night. But then, he's facing stiff opposition from Ashton Kutcher. And Brittany Murphy, his co-star from Just Married.

Kevin Costner's putting together a string of dogs that I've hardly heard of. Dangerously near to that area of no return called 'Direct-To-Video'.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

TOM HANKS
                        Yeah, Charley Wilson's War was really good though? Not especially because of him, granted.

My choice would be Jack Black. Or any Will Farrell film since Anchorman.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Didn't see it. Won't, because I can't bear the sight of Hanks.

I have totally converted to liking Will Ferrell now, he is very clever and despite watching Semi-Pro about 8 times, I didn't get tired of it.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

He's clever enough to get away with re-making the same bastard film over and over again.

But the annoying thing is that I always end up watching them eventually, and laughing at the same jokes again.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Changing down a gear, Will Smith.

Acting, eh? ...Nope - can't do it; won't do it!

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                Which actors, by virtue of their presence on a cast list, convince you that the film's going to be a stinker?
                                (Please note, this is based on reasonable expectations — if you go to see a Steven Seagal film for example, you should pretty much know what you're going to get.)

For me, it's got to be Sadie Frost and Mackenzie Crook. And increasingly, I'm disappointed to say, Ewan MacGregor.
                                You are leaning on an open door here you know?

Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, James Nesbitt, Sadie Frost, Victor Mature, Demi Moore, Steve Guttenberg,

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Tom Hanks. Eddie Murphy in the last 15 years. Kevin Costner.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Oh god, I hate Costner so much it keeps me awake some nights.
                                    Field of Dreams? Field of Cunts, more like.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Troy McClure.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Field of Dreams was one of the most beautiful movies ever made, hobbes. We're going to disagree on that one.

My all-time number one no this list has already been mentioned, though, Nicolas Cage. I saw "Gone in Sixty Seconds" again the other night, what a laughable pile of excrement that was, from start to finish, especially the bits with Cage in. He's given 72 hours to nick 50 cars to save his kid brother from death, and spends the first 48 of those eating breakfast and moodily chatting up Angelina Jolie. What a cunt.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Y'see, whilst I agree about almost everything else that Cage has done, I think he has to be excepted (in my universe, anyway) as I enjoyed 'Raising Arizona'. It was just - as they sometimes annoyingly say - 'a romp'. Nothing more.

Right - I'm off again now, so you can all slag off 'Raising Arizona' 'til the cows come home.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

Having nominated Costner, I do have to say I like A Perfect World when I saw it. Not sure how well it holds up, though.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

I like Raising Arizona, Clive. I also liked Wild at Heart an awful lot back in the day although I fear I wouldn't if I saw it again.
                                              There's stuff to be said for him in silly thrillers like Con Air and Face/Off. But when he starts with the whiny awful thing eg in Leaving Las Vegas (HATEFUL film) then he's one of the most annoying actors in the world.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

My theory on Cage is that he was fine in everything until he made The Rock (and he wasn't bad in that), but that film made him such a hot property that he realised he didn't have to act any more and could make more money taking any role he was offered than by selecting his films carefully.

Before The Rock, he was in Raising Arizona, Red Rock West, Wild at Heart and Leaving Las Vegas. That's not a bad CV. It's all the stuff since that has corrupted him.

Comment

Who are cinema's Jonahs?

8MM is actually not a bad film at all either.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X