Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Changing Face of TV Weather Forecasting

What it says on the tin.

A marine weather forecast for the UK, which famously interrupts BBC Radio broadcasts of test match cricket.

Imagine Foster Hewitt's call of the Stanley Cup Finals being interrupted mid-period for three minutes on tides in the Maritimes and wave heights off of BC.

Comment

Ah. Clarity.

Comment

The recitation of mysterious lands with exotic names Rockall... Malin... Dogger... Fair Isle... shades of brave Ulysses and aids to splendid dreams they were.

Comment

I like the occasional reminder that we're a maritime kind of a place. It's surprisingly easy to forget, if you don't actually live by the seaside.

Comment

Perfection Amor, Sheer perfection.

Comment

You have to hand it to French TV when it comes to splendid dreams related to weather on TV, with recent anchors like Louise Bourgoin, Charlotte Le Bon and Tania Young...

Comment

Apparently the weather forecast itself is 150 years old today. The BBC has a brief video on its website which claims that the first ever published forecast was produced in The Times of August 1st 1861.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14361204

I would've thought that weather forecasting of some degree would have been put in writing before 1861.

That BBC weather presenter from the '50s - Bert Ford - had one of the most intense stares I've ever seen on TV.

Comment

Foord.

Comment

Fnord.

Comment

Worn Old Carabela wrote:
                      Looks like English. Sounds like English. Makes no sense to me.
                      I'm surprised I didn't note this at the time, but that could in fact be a description of the shipping forecast itself, WOM.

Comment

Here, there seems to an obsession with 'personalities' presenting the weather forecast, so every day some middle-aged twat who insists on dressing and behaving like a 15 year old (like Tim Bailey on Channel 10 here in Sydney) spends 10 minutes standing in a park in Upper Combucta West talking in a annoying high-pitched voice with someone who has just won the Over 90s category at the World Sheep-shagging Championships. Then they spend 5 seconds actually telling us about the weather.

JUST TELL US THE FORECAST YOU LITTLE PRICK!!!!!!

Comment

willie1foot wrote:
                          someone who has just won the Over 90s category at the World Sheep-shagging Championships
                          Do you have a photo of this person?

Comment

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                              The recitation of mysterious lands with exotic names Rockall... Malin... Dogger... Fair Isle... shades of brave Ulysses and aids to splendid dreams they were.
                              You might enjoy this book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attention-All-Shipping-Journey-Forecast/dp/0349116032/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312555068&sr=1-2

Comment

I certainly did and the shipping forecast is a wondeful, wonderful thing. It takes particular meaning when you are under canvas on top of a mountain and the weather is rather foul, you somehow relate a bit to those sailors stuck in force 10 winds at sea....

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                                  Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                  You might enjoy this book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attention-All-Shipping-Journey-Forecast/dp/0349116032/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312555068&sr=1-2
                                  Indeed I might, Thanks.

Comment

You may like Mark Power's photography, too. I have the book somewhere.

The Shipping Forecast

Comment

Excellent, really fine.

Comment

Moonlight shadow wrote:
                                        I certainly did and the shipping forecast is a wondeful, wonderful thing. It takes particular meaning when you are under canvas on top of a mountain and the weather is rather foul, you somehow relate a bit to those sailors stuck in force 10 winds at sea....
                                        I haven't listened to the shipping forecast for some time now, but I always get the goose bumps when I do. Why? I can't explain.

Comment

Working...
                                        X