Gone Baby Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gone Baby Gone

This received a great review from the very dependable Anthony Quinn in 'The Independent' today and I'm looking forwrad to seeing it.

I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've said that about any project involving Ben Affleck, but there you go.

Have any American/Canadian posters seen it yet?

Gone Baby Gone

Not me, not yet anyway, but I remember that Reed had started a thread on it on the old board.

I wonder why people seem to hate Ben Affleck. Once I thought this aloud, and my 15-year-old nephew theorized that they associate him with O'Bannion from Dazed and Confused, which isn't a half-bad guess. But two other projects of his worth watching: Hollywoodland (but I'm biased toward liking modern movies set in the late '50s, but even critics said, "Hey, Ben Affleck can act") and the video "I'm Fucking Ben Affleck" (which is on YouTube). And he's definitely politically sound.

Comment

Gone Baby Gone

I think Affleck started out playing big, dislikeable lunks in films like Dazed & Confused and Mall Rats but then decided to become a sympathetic, mainstream leading man. Perhaps his detractors view him as somebody who was more interested in being a star than an actor? The likes of Armageddon and Daredevil probably didn't help nor did the dalliance (and film) with J-Lo.

Comment

Gone Baby Gone

Ah, 'Gigli'.

That's enough to tarnish anyone's reputation for life.

Comment

Gone Baby Gone

A couple of people I know have seen it. Apparently it's watchable enough, but from the sounds of it, the changes he's made from the book are a bit detrimental.

Comment

Gone Baby Gone

Over here, the media saturation of 'Bennifer' was almost immeasurable, and completely out of whack with either of their talents. It went on for, I'd guess, a year or two. By the time it ended I think they'd just outstayed their welcome, whether on screen or in real life. Similarly, Tom Cruise seems to have gone from an asset to a liability due to his 'real life' profile as a closeted-gay Scientologist with a third time child-bride marriage.

Comment

Gone Baby Gone

realy enjoyed the book, so i am interested to see how its adaptation stands up

Comment

Gone Baby Gone

Once I thought this aloud, and my 15-year-old nephew theorized that they associate him with O'Bannion from Dazed and Confused, which isn't a half-bad guess.
                Did enough people see that wonderful movie to base an opinion on Affleck's role?

I think Affleck is a better actor than his sidekick Matt Damon. But then,many people are.

Comment

Gone Baby Gone

Saw this today - thought it was really good, well acted and directed, good story, "twists" that were explanatory rather than tricksy, and with complex moral issues involved. Casey Affleck is really impressive I think, far better than his brother ever was as an actor. I guess the only area in which this could have been improved is with a slightly stronger central female role. Michelle Monaghan's role was more than a little underwritten - I would have preferred something more akin to the 40/50s noir females, where the female lead oftens gets a bit more involved.

Comment

Working...
                  X