No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to hundreds of gigs over 40 years, and I've never seen anyone play a keytar live,the only time I've ever seen them is on TOTP.

Comment

I've seen one played in Herbie Hancock's band, but can't recall by whom.

Hancock is a devotee of weird instruments. It isn't unusual for their to be more than two dozen on the stage at one time.

Comment

Mr C was so good on "Move any Mountain" I went straight to YouTube upon the end of tonight's show and watched it repeatedly. There's a touch of Dale Winton in the opening "Yessss... Bang to the beat of the drum!" How many degrees of separation are there between Mr C and Stormzy?

"Break break break... Break it down!"

For a man so fundamentally entrenched in the London dance music scene, he really is a bad dancer.

Comment

I think that I've got a cassette of Move Any Mountain that has all the different bits* separated out so that you can mix your own version.

*Brain can't think of the correct word at the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
            I think that I've got a cassette of Move Any Mountain that has all the different bits* separated out so that you can mix your own version.

*Brain can't think of the correct word at the moment...
            Samples, loops, beats? Bits is fine.

They certainly got their money's worth out of the track - the record you have (which a mate of mine also had) had 20 odd mixes on it, which meant it charted on the album and singles chart simultaneously.
            I was somewhat conflicted about them, (as they were conflicted about themselves, lots of line up changes) as they transitioned from a prog-psychedelia rock band, to dance music pioneers, to (very) mainstream tabloid merchants. This track was definitely their high point.

Comment

It's a brilliant song, deserved to be rinsed for every penny they could get.

​​​​​​Ozric Tentacles are another 80s prog band that made a techo leap with their Eat Static side project, although they never came close to The Shamen"s success and cultural impact.

Comment

I see BBC1 is showing Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves this evening, which I like to think is a deliberate tie in to where we are in the repeats.

Comment

From recollection (given that I was out last night and therefore didn’t see TOTP), they played and back-announced the promo for Move Any Mountain without a single mention of the heavily-featured* Will Sinnott - who had died just days after it was shot.

(*In the sense that he was in the video quite a bit - not that he had saggy eyes or a big nose.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    From recollection (given that I was out last night and therefore didn’t see TOTP), they played and back-announced the promo for Move Any Mountain without a single mention of the heavily-featured* Will Sinnott - who had died just days after it was shot.

(*In the sense that he was in the video quite a bit - not that he had saggy eyes or a big nose.)
                    Just Googling this, Will Sinnott died in May 1991 and this performance was August 8 1991. I think the promo video was shown a couple of weeks before.

Comment

Ah, maybe so. He died on the very trip on which the promo was made - drowned off the coast of La Gomera, Tenerife. Very sad.

Comment

One thing that I remember before my Mam died ( October 1991) is watching TOTP and her talking about Nat King Cole while watching "Unforgettable" .I went on holidays shortly after this, when I got home she was in hospital, never to return home.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                          Just Googling this, Will Sinnott died in May 1991 and this performance was August 8 1991. I think the promo video was shown a couple of weeks before.
                          The video for Move Any Mountain hasn't appeared on the show yet, it was a new entry this week. We've had the video for Hyperreal a few weeks ago

Comment

It's probably made non-creepy by the fact that Mr. C is doing a live vocal (effectively toasting) rather than miming to Sinnott's vocal, although Sinnott may be in the mix somewhere. It's not like a "new" Alvin Stardust miming to Peter Shelly (the original Alvin).

Comment

I always thought Colin Angus (who hit his sixties a week ago) did the singing on Shamen records (that is, when it wasn't Mr C or chorus vocalists like Plavka or Jhelisa).

Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 31-08-2021, 14:33.

Comment

Somewhat of a rarity tonight - two songs tied on equal sales at #21!

Comment

A novelty song so awful, it can't even fall into kitsch!

Comment

Tin Machine don't appear to merit a critical reappraisal, judging by that unmemorable offering.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                      Tin Machine don't appear to merit a critical reappraisal, judging by that unmemorable offering.
                                      There's quite a few pages kicking around the 'net saying Bowie foresaw grunge with Tin Machine, not on the evidence. What did he spread on his guitar strings, peanut butter? As a great rock statement, it was pathetic.

Comment

It was an eclair apparently. On the song it's apparently a vibrator, but TOTP obviously wouldn't let that on there...

[URL="https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status/1441490841894195202"]https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status...90841894195202[/URL]

[URL="https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status/1441490880985243648"]https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status...90880985243648[/URL]

Comment

Can't imagine Runrig got too many more outings on TOTP! Pretty much early-Kylie-by-numbers, where (aside from her collaboration with Nic Cave) she would remain until 2000.

Comment

You (almost) forgive Ian Brown, with the Roses at the height of their powers.

Comment

Gold standard TOTP tonight, Rozalla, Sabrina Johnston and Bizarre Inc demonstrating the a fertile period of houses dancey pop. I cared little for it at the time, but the years have been kind to such tunes. Rozalla in particular.

Comment

Yes last week's first episode was a belter as well, Cliff Richard aside this is really feeling like the 90s now. Shame we didn't get a taste of 'Dominator' in the breakers, maybe it didn't have a video

SAINTS IN THE CHARTS IN YOUR FACE

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                                  Pretty much early-Kylie-by-numbers, where (aside from her collaboration with Nic Cave) she would remain until 2000.
                                                  What? I've never liked 'Word Is Out' but there's so much wrong with that sentence: 1) it's not 'early Kylie' (which would be the cheesy first couple of albums) and sounds nothing like it, 2) this is the era where her records start incorporating house, rave and new jack swing and moving away from PWL-by-numbers and 3) the other two albums she did in the 90s after this each have a different sound again, and indeed sound pretty much like nothing else in her career (the first one is a really understated 'serious' album produced by big house producers like Farley & Heller and Brothers in Rhythm, the second one was that boring post-Britpop 'indie' album with the lead single written by the Manics.)

If anything her sound gets more samey after 2000, after that point it's pretty much all disco and house-influenced electro-pop. Stop getting Kylie wrong!

Comment

Yep, have to agree with Fussbudget. Kylie was a little more ‘under the radar’ as the nineties progressed, but offered up some of her best work along the way.

Step Back in Time (1990) showed previously-unseen deprecating humour, while Confide in Me and Put Yourself in My Place (1994) were both compelling pieces of sophisticated pop. My personal favourite, however, was Breathe - a largely-forgotten 1998 electronica outing co-written and produced by Dave Ball out of Soft Cell.

Freed from the SAW-shackles, Kylie showed a lot of versatility during that decade.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X