No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is. I don't actually mind Vision Of Love, it's a solid song and isn't ridiculously over the top like everything she subsequently released when she started doing epic ballads from 1993 on.

Great episode though. Particularly enjoyed Anthea's forced enthusiasm straight out of the KLF performance.

That New Kids song should have been released in the run up to Christmas, not the middle of summer.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
      Particularly enjoyed Anthea's forced enthusiasm straight out of the KLF performance.
      I think you mean KFM. I also enjoyed when she introduced the Banjo Jambo Jovi video.

Hardcore Uproar is a great record but dearie me, the state of that video

Comment

I want one of It's Grim Up North tops.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
          I presume last night's episode was the first chart appearance for Mariah Carey. Anthea Turner pronounced her name as Carrey.
          Presumably, you mean as in an automobile, given Jim's surname would be pronounced the same way as Mariah's.

Comment

Yeah, that's how I meant it.

Comment

Hate the phrase, but a Mandela Effect moment for me right there. One of those Number 1 singles facts I knew alongside what was at the top on my wedding day, all the xmas number 1s from when I cared, and so on, was that when I started secondary school the number 1 was Tom's Diner by DNA, so a drop from number 2 to 5 and a check of wiki has disconcerted me.

The main take from that NKOTB video is not just that clothes were as baggy and loose as I remember them being in 1990, it's the amount they pulled at their own jackets and t-shirts as part of the dance routines to make them appear even baggier.

Comment

The era when I bought a cassette album on the back of a single. I have no memory of any other song on whatever album Groove Is In The Heart is on. I think that I can remember a couple from whatever Betty Boo's album was called. Ditto The Farm​​​​​​...

Comment

Betty Boo's album was called Boomania. Her real name is Alison Clarkson.

I wonder what potentially useful information I could have retained in my memory banks instead of having a Betty Boo file.

I can't remember what The Farm's album was called, although I did actually buy it, unlike Boomania.

Comment

Betty's attractiveness might be a reason why that info was retained by so many boys of a certain age.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-02-2021, 12:10.

Comment

The Farm’s album was Spartacus! - a number-one record at that.

Comment

I always like Betty Boo's second album being called Grrr! It's Betty Boo.

Comment

Hello could I use this thread to put on record how much I fucking detest The Beautiful South please, cheers

Comment

Yes. Please state your reason(s)

Comment

Where was Paul Heaton, taking the night off?

Comment

On keyboard. The camera catches him for a few seconds on both performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
                                  Yes. Please state your reason(s)
                                  Certainly:
                                  1. smug clever-clever see-what-we-did-there lyrics
                                  2. blandest MOR-est sound imaginable
                                  3. wear chinos as stagewear

Comment

4 Oh-so-edgy, fifth-form-debating-society band name choice.

Comment

I've always suffered from a false memory in relation to I Need a Little Time - I always thought it was number 1 during summer whilst I was living with my mum in a flat in Churchdown. However, we left that flat Autumn 1989 and by October 1990 I was living with my aunt and uncle in Cheltenham, so it stands to reason that my brain has been playing with me for 30 years or so.

Comment

Electrifying bit of colour about Shaun Ryder's jacket from Mark Goodier this week.

I had completely forgotten about that Aztec Camera/Mick Jones single.

Comment

I retain memory of Betty Boo, for all the reasons hitherto stated but also because an Arnold Brown routine about him going to HMV and asking for "the new Betty Boo" still makes me laugh 20+ years after seeing it

Comment

An Arnold Brown "joke" made you laugh? You are dead to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                              I've always suffered from a false memory in relation to I Need a Little Time - I always thought it was number 1 during summer whilst I was living with my mum in a flat in Churchdown. However, we left that flat Autumn 1989 and by October 1990 I was living with my aunt and uncle in Cheltenham, so it stands to reason that my brain has been playing with me for 30 years or so.
                                              You might be conflating it with their Song for Whoever, which was at #2 during the summer of 1989.

Comment

No - it was the video I recalled all the time - the garden and weird white powder all over them. I was 5 at the time to be honest, and 6 when this was number 1, so it's easy for that time frame to just roll into one I suppose.

Comment

"As they say on Twin Peaks, that's a damn fine record!"

Nicky Wire released a solo album called I Killed the Zeitgeist. He didn't. Anthea Turner got there first.

Jagger and Bowie must have slept soundly for the first time in years after Tina 'n' Rod's It Takes Two came out.

Comment

I remember liking that Kim Appleby song at the time. I think it's held up well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X