No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a Tesco in town which would be convenient for his studio, but maybe he lives closer to the big Morrisons near the M18. That's the way he likes it, as Woo! Gary Davies seemed to think it was called.

Comment

Hmm, you don't get full songs anymore, do you.

Comment

Why was "Don't know much " titled as Linda Ronstadt featuring Aaron Neville rather than with Aaron Neville.

Comment

Possibly Ronstadt gets lead artist billing as it was off her solo album, which featured four duets with Neville. Also may have been a factor that Neville would have been pretty much unknown in the UK, whereas Ronstadt had had a big chart hit in a collaboration with someone (James Ingram?) a couple of summers earlier with Somewhere Out There.

That Janet Jackson performance made me feel tired just watching it.

Comment

Aaron Neville looked like he had just come from his shift as bouncer at a biker bar.

Comment

Aaron Neville does look like he might be quite tough. I saw him live about ten years ago, as I wanted to catch as many of the New Orleans greats as possible while they were still active. Compared to the others (Allen Toussaint, Dr John, Irma Thomas), and at odds with his appearance, AN's show was disappointingly bland and middle of the road.

Comment

Linda Ronstadt had been a fairly major artist since the early seventies, tbf.

Comment

Figure this is probably the best place to ask this:

what was the name of the BBC1 show from the mid-1980s that made videos for songs from the pre-video age?

Comment

The Golden Oldie Picture Show, presented by The Hairy Cockflake.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                      The Golden Oldie Picture Show, presented by The Hairy Cockflake.
                      Jesus, that's a blast from the past.

Comment

Good idea indelibly tarnished by the presence of that tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          Linda Ronstadt had been a fairly major artist since the early seventies, tbf.
                          Which is when Andy Dufresne sticks her on his wall to replace Raquel Welch.

Comment

Intrigued to notice that I owned more music from this week's 1990 show than last week's 1981 show. Must be because I was much better off in 1990...

Comment

February 1990 and things are fragmenting a bit - Birdland have been on the breakers (but it wasn't 'Hollow Heart', which I felt was their best song) and The House of Love are straight in at 22, and given a proper slot.

Comment

Del Amitri make a second appearance in three weeks with 'Nothing Ever Happens'. My recollection of this turns out to be wrong on a couple of fronts - I thought it was one of those that crashed in high in the post Xmas lull, combining fan loyalty with striking a chord with the January ennui of nothing changing ("the needle goes back to the start of the song and we all sing along as before") and disappeared. However it had a longer rise and fall than I thought, with a 64-48-23-15-11-14-20-35-57 sequence. The song itself is better and bleaker than I recalled as well - "and ignorant people sleep in their beds / like the doped white mice in the college lab", "they'll burn down the synagogues at six o'clock" etc.

They were never a band that I warmed to at the time, cos for a while they didn't half get rammed down your throat.

Comment

I had completely forgotten Adam Ant's Room at the Top single, which seemed to be an overt attempt to move into Prince territory. For the TOTP appearance yesterday AA looked good but slightly waxy, as if he was a bit under the weather. It could just have been an unflattering make up job.

Comment

I certainly didn't expect Shakin Stevens to be opening the show in 1990.

Comment

With Rod Stewart following and Michael Bolton later on - pretty shocking show tonight.

Comment

BBC might get into trouble there - that was Jonathan King in the Various Artists video.

Comment

Hard to think of a better showcase for dance music than a rapid fire Stars-on-45 type medley.

J.T. and the Big Family were very Italian just now.

Comment

In a HEY! way?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                              I had completely forgotten Adam Ant's Room at the Top single, which seemed to be an overt attempt to move into Prince territory. For the TOTP appearance yesterday AA looked good but slightly waxy, as if he was a bit under the weather. It could just have been an unflattering make up job.
                                              It had one of Prince's former musicians on it. Andr? Cymone.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                                In a HEY! way?
                                                Sadly not, more in a naff euro-disco way, when you get to see that the masterminds behind a continent conquering dancefloor monster have Michael Bolton hair and are inexplicably wearing top hats.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post

It had one of Prince's former musicians on it. Andr? Cymone.
                                                  You can definitely hear the Minneapolis in it. I was a massive Prince fan when I was 14, to the extent of buying albums by his associates. I had AC's Survivin' in the 80s. Looking at the cover now, he didn't really need to specify which decade he was talking about.

Comment

I thought that Candyflip, featured in tonight's pair of episodes, had followed the KLF's The Manual but can't seem to find any mention of it.

Primal Scream's fashion sense took a while to catch up with their change in musical direction. I saw them at The Bowling Green in Cannock three months before this appearance was recorded and it would be a stretch to say that there had always been a dance element to their music.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X