No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piss off Phil Larkin, son, we've found the natural heir to your throne right here.

Comment

Bloody hell, that illustration is truly wretched - like a twelve-year-old's school art project that went badly wrong. (And that's before one gets to the graphic designer, who frankly wants shooting.)

But what do they care? That album went triple-platinum (ie, c 900,000 copies): the first single also went platinum (at least 600k), and the following pair both gold (at least 400k). Apparently, Jive Bunny 'mastermind' Les Hemstock went on to become a trance DJ, which almost defies belief...

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
        There's also details of the fan club (P.O. Box 136 Watford Herts WD2 4ND) and for all enquiries regarding merchandising write to: Big Wave Management Limited, P.O.Box 888, London, SW17 0BB.
        Ooh, do you think there's anyone there now to be surprised if we all flood them with enquiries all of a sudden, 30 years late?

Comment

I always thought they should join forces with a certain New Jersey stadium-rock act as ‘Jove Boni’. (B’doum, etc.)

(Somebody's probably already done that as a mash-up, tbh.)

Comment

Jive Bunny were from Rotherham, so your "low rent" was probably their cutting edge.

According to JB's wiki, they remixed the Christmas single, replacing Glitter with Mariah Carey, just in case anyone wants to use it. The Wiki also atates that Roy Wood re-recorded I Wish It Could be Christmas Every Day, for them, as they lacked permission from Wizzard's people. Roy Wood loves re-recording that fucker, doesn't he? A bigger slice of royalties every time I guess..

Comment

Kinda surprised at the address of that fan club. I would have expected to be ran out of a light industrial unit in Rotherham like the rest of the operation.

Comment

The postcode for the management company is right by Plough Lane. Perhaps their merch was handled by John Fashanu and Dennis Wise.
                Last edited by Benjm; 11-06-2020, 20:23. Reason: Edit: management company not fan club

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  I always thought they should join forces with a certain New Jersey stadium-rock act as ‘Jove Boni’. (B’doum, etc.)

(Somebody's probably already done that as a mash-up, tbh.)
                  I'm sure tribute band names have been done several times on here before, but one of my favourites remains By Jovi, closely followed by Slipnot.

Comment

Maet Loaf, the Black Country Meat Loaf, takes some beating.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I'm sure tribute band names have been done several times on here before, but one of my favourites remains By Jovi, closely followed by Slipnot.
                      Slipknowt in Lancashire.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                        Jive Bunny were from Rotherham, so your "low rent" was probably their cutting edge.
                        Oi!

Comment

I misread that name at first, and so for a moment there I was instead picturing them joined up with a certain pint-sized Irish stadium-rock frontman as Jive Bono.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                            Ooh, do you think there's anyone there now to be surprised if we all flood them with enquiries all of a sudden, 30 years late?
                            Being a sad git when it comes to postcodes, I did check on this yesterday. WD2 was replaced by WD23-35 in 2000, but there was a chance that the box number would still be active. No such luck. Maybe Watford sorting office decided to "retire" the number, in memory of one of the true PO Box greats.

There is also a Jive Bunny restaurant in Skegness, for anyone who fancies living the dream, and a mysterious Jive Bunny Ltd in Maidenhead, although they seem very reticent about what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                              ...I was instead picturing them joined up with a certain pint-sized Irish stadium-rock frontman as Jive Bono.
                              Famously, one publisher's reader returned the manuscript of JG Ballard's Crash with the comment, "This author is beyond psychiatric help. DO NOT PUBLISH!" Ballard's novel is now acknowledged as a modern classic. I mention this in an attempt to add some perspective to this truly disturbing post from VA.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                A MESSAGE FROM JIVE BUNNY.
                                Making music for all my friends is all I want to do.
                                Music that's fun for one and all including friends like you.
                                Thanks for buying my record.
                                Now come on everybody let's party.
                                Have to say that I don't see the Bunny as having 'made' much music at all throughout his brief career.

Also, am I the only one vaguely amused by 'longeared' having posted this?

(Thought I might be...)

Comment

But what do they care? That album went triple-platinum (ie, c 900,000 copies): the first single also went platinum (at least 600k), and the following pair both gold (at least 400k).
                                  Do we think they made any serious money out of that? I'd love to see the royalty split given the zero amount of original material involved.

Comment

I'm not sure how it worked, to be honest - especially given that, as you suggest, there'd have been almost zero writing/publishing royalties. But they definitely made money somewhere along the way - certainly through production and perhaps via Mr Bunny's image rights/appearance fees. There was a short period when he seemed to crop up everywhere, even in the US.

That said, even at the time I thought it a bizarrely cheap and retrograde project all round. (I mean, even Stars On 45 had production values.)

Comment

Surely it would work similarly to any company releasing a compilation album would? Not that I know how that works either, but I'd imagine "Hey, you guys all get x% for doing no extra marketing on your 20 year old records, and I'll take y% for doing it all"

Comment

?100, reportedly.

Comment

""I’ve DJ’d all my life and I have done OK but certainly not as lucrative as you might expect. I shop in ?Morrisons and Tesco.”

Comment

He probably did a wee bit better than he's making out - however, if he was responsible for much of the concept and didn't sign a contract, well...

(But I look at that rabbit costume and can still only think 'just how??')

Comment

He took his time deciding to sue them.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                Famously, one publisher's reader returned the manuscript of JG Ballard's Crash with the comment, "This author is beyond psychiatric help. DO NOT PUBLISH!" Ballard's novel is now acknowledged as a modern classic. I mention this in an attempt to add some perspective to this truly disturbing post from VA.
                                                I can only apologise wholeheartedly. Hopefully one day my post will also be similarly acknowledged, though what apocalyptic change in the world might be necessary first I cannot think.

Also, am I the only one vaguely amused by 'longeared' having posted this?
                                                Hah, no that's perfect. Maybe longeared is Jive Bunny, AICMFP.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                  ""I’ve DJ’d all my life and I have done OK but certainly not as lucrative as you might expect. I shop in ?Morrisons and Tesco.”
                                                  Truly poignant.

Comment

How does he decide which one to go to? Is Morrisons closer so he does his little shop there and his big shop at Tesco? Does he go to one for some things and the other for others?

We need an answer to this. Come on everybody.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X