TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    What the hell has Richard Skinner got on his head.
    It sounds like a regular weekly round in a "zany" 80's quiz show.

Comment

Ploughing through the latter half of 1988 is getting to be hard work, lots of fast forwarding going on I'm afraid.

Comment

Most of them sound better at 1.5x...

Comment

That performance of Suddenly was the first time anyone round my way got to see Scott and Charlene's wedding as a power cut had wiped out the broadcast on the night itself. So while everyone around the country was discussing it the following morning at my school we were all like "no I didn't get to see it either".
          Last edited by longeared; 08-12-2019, 00:15.

Comment

Apart from not having a clue about the previous post, am I missing something by only recording the Friday show? Things seem to be happening that I'm not aware of.

Comment

08 12 1988
              Status Quo – “Burning Bridges ”
              Angry Anderson – “Suddenly”
              Phil Collins – “Two Hearts”
              Petula Clark – “Downtown ‘88”
              New Order – “Fine Time”
              Inner City – “Good Life”
              Erasure – “Stop”
              Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan – “Especially For You”
              Cliff Richard – “Mistletoe & Wine”
              Bananarama – “Nathan Jones”

Comment

I don't remember "Buster " being that big a hit in the cinema, but it obviously was, considering the amount of hits it spawned at the time.

Comment

Downtown '88 was worse than almost everything else that has happened this week.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                    I don't remember "Buster " being that big a hit in the cinema, but it obviously was, considering the amount of hits it spawned at the time.
                    I don't think the film was particularly popular. Everybody just gobbled up whatever shit Phil Collins produced in the 80s.

Comment

Fucking hell, that new look show didn't hang around did it? I made that five studio performances, four videos and six breakers plus the charts and brief interview with Jason Donovan.

Comment

A rarity on tonight's 7:30 show - the fantastic TOTPFacts page on Twitter has found an artist they can find nothing at all on the internet about. An artist called Chanelle who did a song called One Man.

It's the first time I'd ever heard the song. It wasn't great.

Comment

Who was Mick in Pat and Mick?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                            A rarity on tonight's 7:30 show - the fantastic TOTPFacts page on Twitter has found an artist they can find nothing at all on the internet about. An artist called Chanelle who did a song called One Man.

It's the first time I'd ever heard the song. It wasn't great.
                            They didn't look very hard:

https://globalgroove.co.uk/records/chanelle/one-man/

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                              Who was Mick in Pat and Mick?
                              Mick Brown - a sometime presenter on Capital and latterly Radio Jackie.

No, me neither.

Comment

Jackie is south west London. Officially "south west London and north Surrey".

Comment

Ah, I was referring to Mick Brown himself.

(I live in south-west London, so am familiar with Jackie.)

Comment

Ah yes, of course, silly me.

Comment

Catching up on a bit of a backlog - WTF is this "My Brave Face" abomination from Paul McCartney - really cannot remember this at all and the video is horrendous, with random Beatles footage thrown in, really desperate stuff. Neneh Cherry is a breath of fresh air following it, although I have to admit I got heartily sick of this song (Manchild) at the time because it coincided with us getting a satellite dish installed and I watched MTV every waking hour that summer, and they flogged this song to death.

Comment

Broadcasters will never understand this, will they? ’Ah, that track is proving popular so we’ll play it even more!’

Think of it like pizza, guys. We all love it but don’t necessarily want it for every meal.

Meanwhile, that ‘latest’ Pet Shop Boys single (which I barely even recall) was bloody awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          Meanwhile, that ‘latest’ Pet Shop Boys single (which I barely even recall) was bloody awful.
                                          It's Alright? Not one of their finest, I'd agree. It's a cover of a Chicago house hit by Sterling Void. The statement of intent that they were still aiming for the dancefloor after their massive pop success was probably the point as their version doesn't really add much to the original.

Comment

It's Alright has been getting a fair bit of radio airplay of late, for obvious reasons.

BBC really liked Song for Whoever didn't they? Three times now we've had to endure that.

Comment

They were probably worried that Paul Heaton's firm would come and smash up Television Centre if respect wasn't shown.

Comment

I'm still going, and nearly caught up. The appearance of Pop Muzik by M came as a surprise - I knew it had been remixed and re-released at some point would wouldn't have guessed at 1989 and wouldn't have thought it got as high as it did (no. 15 eventually). Robin Scott wore a suit covered in CDs, prompting Anthea Turner to exclaim "there must be thousands of pounds worth of CDs on that suit!", which dates things somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                  BBC really liked Song for Whoever didn't they? Three times now we've had to endure that.
                                                  They really pushed Deacon Blue round this time as well - I'm sick of the sight of them in this recent run, and remember it was a standing joke at the time with a mate that we'd watch EastEnders and see how long it took for Deacon Blue to appear in the background (usually the first scene in the caff). IIRC there was also a story line of the teen characters going to see them in concert or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                    we'd watch EastEnders and see how long it took for Deacon Blue to appear in the background (usually the first scene in the caff)
                                                    What, just hanging around ordering a fry-up?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X