No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older posters here will remember the Eurovision Song Contest orchestra.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Reggae acts were regular victims of the orchestra - e.g. Althea & Donna.
      That was a fucking disaster.

Comment

Well, perhaps not entirely - the record still went on to top the charts following their appearance.

Comment

Re the Eurovision, amazed to discover that the instantly forgettable Scott Fitzgerald song finished second to Celine Dion.

Comment

It only lost on the votes of the last jury, co written by Bruce Forsyth's daughter, fact fans.

Comment

Reggae acts were regular victims of the orchestra - e.g. Althea & Donna.
              So what.

No sympathy for plagiarists.

Fuck 'em

Comment

Some acts were a total disaster when they did it live - New Order with 'Blue Monday' for example.
                They also did "True Faith" without miming.

I know this because I was working nights in a warehouse at the time, with the shift kicking off at nine.

So, on the Thursday night after New Order had really, really fucked up True Faith on TOTP,, I went to work, only to hear my co-workers laying in to "that load of shit who played live."

Although I rarely said anything there, I pointed out that New Order were all right. Whereupon Big Fucking Old Lag said, "Yeah, young 'un. But you like choccy ringers as well, you gay cunt." And so I was the gay cunt who liked choccy ringers.

I emigrated shortly afterwards.

Comment

To be honest, New Order didn't really work out how to play live until around 1989.

(I'm assuming that a 'choccy ringer' isn't some kind of biscuit...)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

(I'm assuming that a 'choccy ringer' isn't some kind of biscuit...)
                    No, although Lidl here used to have brown cereal hoops called "Choccy Rings". Made me snigger like Mutley every time I saw them.

Comment

Will M*******y have to be censored in future editions?

Comment

Enjoyed Mystic Mayo saying that Everyday Is Like Sunday would be a number one. It climbed to nine the following week and then got no further. Last time he presented he predicted Mary's Prayer would also top the charts, and that didn't get near it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                          Will M*******y have to be censored in future editions?
                          I was wondering if Gary Glitter was getting any royalties for Doctoring The Tardis...

Comment

I thought the same.

Comment

I'm sure I read somewhere that Glitter cashed in all his royalties for a lump sum before the scandals broke around him so it wouldn't make any difference to him financially if his records were played or not.

Whoever bought them must be well pissed off.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                Enjoyed Mystic Mayo saying that Everyday Is Like Sunday would be a number one. It climbed to nine the following week and then got no further. Last time he presented he predicted Mary's Prayer would also top the charts, and that didn't get near it either.
                                Mary's Prayer peaked at #3 on reissue - which is fairly near - however, believing that an act like Morrissey (or The Smiths per se) would ever be likely to bag a number-one single doesn't/didn’t display much knowledge of how the market worked back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  Mary's Prayer peaked at #3 on reissue - which is fairly near - however, believing that an act like Morrissey (or The Smiths per se) would ever be likely to bag a number-one single doesn't/didn’t display much knowledge of how the market worked back then.
                                  Might be a bit harsh there on Mayo - presenters predicting records getting to number one (or "top five", or "big hit") only for them to fall well short is something of a trope on old TOTPs so it's not that unusual, and in these cases it may just have been him bigging up records he liked rather than attempting to genuinely predict how far they'd get.

Comment

Then better just to say 'great record, that': it was very widely known that artists like Morrissey/The Smiths tended to sell singles to the fan base, usually debuting high in the chart before disappearing quickly. (The latter had only scored one UK Top Ten hit (HKIMN) to that point.)

Comment

Are you possibly over thinking this?

Comment

Meanwhile Mike Read shows surprising restraint in his lack of comment on Sabrina's in-studio performance of Boys Boys Boys, and quickly gets on with the important business of taking the piss out of Andy Bell's costume.

Comment

Unless you had the Icicle Works on a loop, then you'd be unlikely to get Read worked up much.

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                          Are you possibly over thinking this?
                                          Well, I was responding to longeared's original observation, but whatever...

Comment

Not entirely sure I'm over seeing Anthrax make it onto UK "terrestrial" telly last night. I mean, "Make Me Laugh" gets nowhere near my top 50 Anthrax songs, but whatever. I still had a bit of a fanboy glee moment and for that, well, having to listen to Andy Crane is a small sacrifice.

Comment

What the hell has Richard Skinner got on his head.

Comment

He seemed a bit out of place generally, which was a shame really given that for years he was the only competent presenter.

Enjoyed the diversion into Singing Corner in that episode.

Comment

Chris de Burgh dances like a virgin.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                    What the hell has Richard Skinner got on his head.
                                                    I’d love to know the answer to this.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X