No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it happened as shown - I'm sure something similar came up on Chart Music, I don't think it was this exact episode they were reviewing but there was a case where TOTP didn't have a Michael Jackson video to show.

Comment

How big a gap has there been between the last showing and Thursday's?

Comment

Skipped four episodes. There's not that much left of Smith, three more in 87 (including Christmas Day) and then four in the first quarter of 88 - he stopped at roughly the same time he left the Radio 1 breakfast show.

Comment

McCartney and Harrison both on tonight, wonder if more than two solo Beatles were ever in the charts at the same time.

Comment

April 1971 had all four in. Would have been a good EP:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...19710411/7501/
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-05-2019, 23:42.

Comment

I think that that may well have been a unique occurrence.

December 1973 saw three of them simultaneously in the charts (Ringo, Paul, John): however, after Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) in May of that year, George went exactly eight years without a Top 30 hit in the UK. By which time, of course, John had snuffed it.

Comment

Some utter rubbish on the Thursday episode. At least three of the acts appeared to be having their worst hit.

Comment

F*ck me, "Stutter Rap", Tony Hawk's is able to get away with that on his CV. What a total c*nt.

Comment

I'm sure I read in one of his books that he'd totally disowned that 'Stutter Rap' shite, but a quick peek at his website sees it sit second on the list of his musical achievements, so yeah, he's still living off it and wanting to take the credit.

Comment

I still get him confused with the skateboarder. I never know which one is the plural one.

Comment

He plays on that too. Sending sarky emails back to kids who confuse him with the skateboarder (no 's')

Comment

He can disown it all he likes, it was utterly vile. I'm surprised ii was ok'd to be aired tonight.

​​​​​​Like most offensive humour, it was totally devoid of any talent that would rise it above the cheap shots it took at people with speech impediments. The verse about spluttering saliva was phenomenally offensive.

F*ck him, his fridge and his career

Comment

I know there's the argument that the shows reflect the tastes and standards of the era, but even so I was surprised they left it in. Particularly given that they chopped the whole Mel and Kim video on Thursday night as it contains a passing reference to Rolf Harris.

Comment

Add me to the list of the unhappy with MM. The odd thing is that it begins as quite a convincing pastiche of 1987 Beasties before zigzagging off into unpleasantness and weak musical in-jokes.

The Belinda Carlisle video saved the episode from being a complete bust. It's a great song, even if the guy that she was tapping off with had a haircut more commonly seen on Jessica's accident prone nephews in Murder, She Wrote.

Comment

Okay, this version of All Day And All Of The Night by the appalling Stranglers. Why does it exist?

Comment

I'm Not Scared! Tune!

Comment

I spent most of the late 80's at football training on Thursdays, thank fuck, that was rancid tonight.

Comment

Maybe this is the place to ask, but I was somewhat stunned to discover that A little respect was released in 1988, but also that, er, it only reached no.4 in the charts. Does anyone know what the three songs that kept it off the top spot were?

Comment

The charts for the relevant week.

You have to question people's taste back then.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                          I spent most of the late 80's at football training on Thursdays, thank fuck, that was rancid tonight.
                                          Can't argue, although I did like Heart by The Pet Shop Boys.

Hard to believe that was their last number 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                            The charts for the relevant week.

You have to question people's taste back then.
                                            Ah, in fairness four of the five songs in that top five are among the more famous songs from the second half of the eighties. I wonder what D-Mob featuring Gary Haisman are doing now.

Comment

The charts really were full of absolute dross at that point - Milli Vanilli, Sinitta, Sabrina, etc, plus a bunch of low-grade covers/reissues. I'll maybe spare Kim Wilde's NTAS, which was one of her better efforts, as was Tanita Tikaram's single.

(A girl I knew had one of TT's albums, which had a 'this album belongs to...' fill-in section in the sleevenotes. I kind of felt that if you're putting that kind of stuff on your records, then perhaps the music biz isn't for you. Bit tight of me, perhaps - but so it proved...)

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              Maybe this is the place to ask, but I was somewhat stunned to discover that A little respect was released in 1988, but also that, er, it only reached no.4 in the charts. Does anyone know what the three songs that kept it off the top spot were?
                                              They had a lot of Top Ten hits, but Erasure were never a guaranteed-number-one band. The only hit of theirs that topped the chart was that EP of Abba covers.

Comment

No idea what D-Mob are up to these days, but Gary Haisman died a year or so back.

Miles behind on the repeats myself, but been having a bit of a catch up this week. Last episode I watched was the debut of an earnest Mark Goodier congratulating Vanessa Paradis on her Canadian number one.

Comment

Fair enough, but that song is one of the best pop songs of the 80's. A little respect is the song that everyone else in that chart wishes they had written instead. teardrops by Womack and womack is another one of those songs that has really stood the test of time. The bit where they go into the refrain is so beautiful. The video is an interesting 80's time capsule. That bass player! Also what does what I presume to be the Womack I actually bring to the party?

Comment

You mean, aside from co-writing the song, playing guitar and keyboards on it, contributing to the vocals, and being half of the duo's name?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X