No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger Whittaker and Des O'Connor? Fuck a duck.
    Whittaker isn't just content with whistling, he has to whistle an impression of a flute playing seagull noises.

Comment

Big chunk of the Mike Smith episode from 4th December 1986 is currently on YouTube.

Comment

Also the Des O'Connor performance had me wondering if he was still alive. He is - he's 86 now. Whittaker is still going as well at 82.

Comment

Fucking hell, just caught the tail end of a 1987 episode and Ferry Aid was a jaw dropping spectacle. I must have blocked it out of my mind in some psychological defence mechanism.

La Isla Bonita was a decent single though.

Comment

Hot Take: Diamond Lights > Can't Be With You Tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              The Young Ones was on Gold last night. The one where they're threatened with eviction. I think now, 30 years on, I can see why my parents thought it was shit. It's because it was shit.
              What age were you supposed to be to enjoy the young ones? I was massively unimpressed when I saw it around the ages 12-14

Comment

I always thought it was an English thing

Comment

I don't know if that's it. I had watched and listened to an awful lot of british radio and tv comedy by that stage. From the Goons to fawlty towers, from educating archie and around the horne, to only fools and horses. from last of the summer wine to blackadder. I just thought that it was eejits shouting and being too easily pleased with themselves. There was a documentary on the other day about Rik Mayall. He seemed like a nice, funny guy in person, and I could see why everyone spoke so fondly of him. But Captain Flashheart aside, he was pretty unwatchable

Comment

Educating Archie? Good grief, I didn't realise you were my age. I'm pretty sure Archie was put through a wood chipper in the late fifties.

Comment

My dad liked to listen to radio four when he was working in the garden. I associate Rambling Sid rumpole abusing his cordwangel with picking potatoes. English comedy from the fifties and the sixties is aimed at the level of a brightish nine year old. Actually I think Taylor made a similar point about Weekending on some episode of chartmusic. I listened to it at the same age and gave up on it at the same ages as Taylor, so I found myself nodding ferociously in agreement. The best bit about it was their use of the keyboard riff from party fears two as the intro.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                        I just thought that it was eejits shouting and being too easily pleased with themselves. There was a documentary on the other day about Rik Mayall. He seemed like a nice, funny guy in person, and I could see why everyone spoke so fondly of him. But Captain Flashheart aside, he was pretty unwatchable
                        Kevin Turvey had his moments. The Young Ones has not aged well, let's put it that way: it tried way too hard to take the rather thin existing template of 'alternative comedy' (shouting, left-wing values, general anarchy - you know the form) and shove it all sideways into what can only loosely be described as a sitcom. A few one-liners still raise a minor smile, but looking at it now it just makes me think of that tiresome group of guys at my art college who would moon people from upstairs windows or cover each other's knackers with spray-foam and circulate photos of same.

Comment

Oh I forgot that Alan B'stard, show. I must say that he was actually far too convincing in the bits I saw. The closest thing I can compare it to is Ever decreasing circles which is clearly very good, but its too close to the bone to be a comedy.

Comment

Did Sly'n'Robbie ever actually get on the programme?

Comment

My utter bafflement of late eighties pop has just been increased by gawping at Shaky and a bunch of topless and oiled male dancers. What the actual fuck?

Comment

Was that for A Little Boogie Woogie?

I haven't watched the repeat, it's just one of those things stays with you through the decades.

Comment

I thought somebody had dosed my drink when I saw the topless dancers behind Shaky. How is this moment not more well known?

Comment

Did Shaky know that " topless and oiled male dancers" = performance for gay audience?

Comment

Ah the good old pre internet days when Gary Davies could blithely say that Samantha Fox was no1 in five countries and we'd have to take his word for it.

Comment

Wiki doesn't actually record it as being number one anywhere (BBC FAKERY!), though maybe it did so in some minor market somewhere. Though he did also say Spagna had been number one in five countries so perhaps someone writing the script got their wires crossed.

Comment

I'm assuming that the song was Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now?

If so, it was number one in Finland and Japan. (Perhaps unsurprisingly, La Fox was massive in Japan.)

Comment

It was I Surrender (to the Spirit of the Night).

Comment

Ah right - those TOTP episodes have clearly been moving apace in my absence.

No, that one absolutely didn't top any charts to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry Ennui View Post
                                                I thought somebody had dosed my drink when I saw the topless dancers behind Shaky. How is this moment not more well known?
                                                Given that the song is sticking around for a while in the chart, I have no idea.

Comment

The song was co-written and originally performed by a Mr G. Glitter, so perhaps no surprise this version doesn't get aired very often.

Comment

Okay, so did the Michael Jackson video actually not exist, or has there been some clever retro-programming?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X