TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

Just seen this one, the only way to expand on the Legs & Co review is to add 'F***ING CHRIST'. We're well into the territory when I can remember specific TOTP performances - certainly remember The Piranhas and Kelly Marie, and would have been bored stiff at the Abba video - can never remember the Legs & Co performances other than knowing they happened - I realise now of course that this was the sole reason my dad let us watch this (other than BBC1 being the default setting on our telly, with BBC2 allowed usually for the 9pm comedy/snooker slot).

Someone was enjoying that graphics software, which seemed to run on Basic.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I'm on that Tommy Vance / Roger Daltrey one now - this and the aforementioned Elton John appearance were picked out on a recent documentary as being a short lived experiment in using pop stars as co-hosts. Between the two performances, you can tell why. At least Rodge had the decency to name-check t'Clash.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

One of those things that makes you feel old. Today on his 65th birthday "Kid Jenson" becomes "Kid Pension"!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Currently watching Legs & Co dancing to Bankrobber by The Clash. Surreal!

Other interesting stuff mind, The Jam cover version of Taxman, a couple of Scottish birds in jumpsuits, and Bowie back at No 1!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Squarewheelbike wrote: Currently watching Legs & Co dancing to Bankrobber by The Clash. Surreal!
            One of my favourite songs tarnished forever by six women performing an interpretive dance routine in hugely unflattering camel-toe one-piece swimsuits.

Also who decided that Steve Wright wasn't annoying enough on his own and took the decision to put Cliff Richard on there as his co-presenter?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The last three have been hilarious, haven't they. What did we miss during the strike?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I see BBC4 edited out Roger Daltrey's "Watch your backs" jibe before the Village People video.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

And BA Robertson as guest host acted like he was told to somehow make Peter Powell appear funny.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

You could see that he knew that his career was vanishing...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Indeed - despite soon being given his own BA In Music show. During the short run of which, he managed to nail down his own coffin lid.

The last three have been hilarious, haven't they. What did we miss during the strike?
                      Well, the opportunity to see Joy Division's promo for Love Will Tear Us Apart, for one thing. I can only recall seeing it on ITV Saturday kids' show Fun Factory, some weeks after Curtis's suicide - and then not again until it turned up as a 'video vote' on BBC2's Rock Around the Clock telethon in 1984.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Jah Womble wrote: Joy Division's promo for Love Will Tear Us Apart
                        I have no memory of the existence of that.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Here you are, GO.

Jah is right about it being seldom seen at the time and in the early post-JD period. I bought Here Are The Young Men, a hopelessly poor quality compilation of live footage issued on Factory's Ikon video offshoot, in 1984 or so and having the LWTUA video tacked onto the end was its major selling point.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I have no memory of the existence of that.
                            Blimey.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

As you pointed out, it wasn't shown on TOTP.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

No, but I was imagining you'd have seen it in the 35 years since.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Interesting show tonight in light of numerous episodes pulled as they feature various convicted sex offenders. Tonight's host was "Smarming" Bates with guests, Olivia Newton John, Linda Carter and a brief interview with... erm, Jonathon King! Taxi for the 20-something intern!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Olivia Newton John was a sex offender?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

You know something about Lynda Carter?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I always wondered about that woman.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I bet an awful lot of Dad Bingo players got to shout 'House!' when Olivia Neutron Bomb appeared on-screen.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Michael Palin introducing Adam & The Ants, forgotten about that one!

And Dollars' engagement, that went well!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

David Van Day only really ever wanted to get engaged to himself.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Tommy Vance and his remarks about Buster Bloodvessels tongue, very strange!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

This was the first TOTP repeat I've managed to see in a while. When did they drop the interviews? I don't remember them at all from watching first time around.

Some shameless letching on display as Tommy Vance slavered over Suzi Quatro, sad to see. That wasn't the end of the sleaze, either, with Matchbox's front man delivering a breathtakingly sordid performance involving a 'sweetheart' many years his junior. Thanks to an unfortunate combination of stance and camera angle it did at one point look like he was in the process of urinating over her.

And because of Dave Bartram's restrictive trousering it wasn't so much Showaddywaddy as Showillywaddy.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

On the plus side we finally get to see the cool kids dancing, as they've finally dropped that horribly bleak closing title sequence where the camera pans around the empty studio.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X