TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

No, quite - and Bruce Welch also somehow f***ed up the words at the beginning, IIRC.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

[quote]wittoner wrote:
      Originally posted by G-Man
      That was unlike, say, Marc Bolan, who used to be a introverted hippie until he hit on the idea to make pop-rock music and play with gender types.

/quote]

Bolan's Hippie persona was every bit as much a construct as his later glam rock one, He was a mod at the very beginning of his career,
      That's right. He and Bowie met each other when they were painting their manager's office.

"I'm the King of the Mods. [long pause] Your shoes are crap."

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Although that's true, it doesn't make the hippie phase fake. Hippies didn't spring fully-formed from the earth. People evolve with the zeitgeist /fashion; many punks / "new romantics" were soul boys and girls* before. It's not a "construct" to change your hairstyle.

* or hippies/hairies - the punks not the NR generally

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Shadows 1975 indeed has a vocal fumble, plus Ron Atkinson on drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49aozmsLOxE

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

First time I've seen that on video (had to listen on the radio back in th' day) - it looked more like a very formal edition of Saturday Night at the Palladium than most Eurovisions I recall. Almost all of which would've been in the seventies.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I didn't want to start a new thread, but the retro Pop show on ITV is astonishing, shocking and entertaining at the same time; I can't post a link, cos I don't want to navigate the ITV website, but blimey it's worth finding. What is that spoof rap song I've just watched?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Stutter Rap - Morris Minor & Majors. I remember finding it funny for a nanosecond when it came out, I would have been 13/14 I guess.

This show is pretty good, a nice reply to the BBC efforts.

Eddy Grant on Razzamatataz, Adam Ant on Canon & Ball and Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five on the Tube highlights for me so far.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

johnr wrote: I didn't want to start a new thread, but the retro Pop show on ITV is astonishing, shocking and entertaining at the same time; I can't post a link, cos I don't want to navigate the ITV website, but blimey it's worth finding. What is that spoof rap song I've just watched?
                  What retro Pop show on ITV?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Pop Gold on ITV. Andy Kershaw doing the talky over bits.

Like a ToTP2 utilising ITV's archives.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Luke R wrote: Pop Gold on ITV. Andy Kershaw doing the talky over bits.

Like a ToTP2 utilising ITV's archives.
                      And what I should have referred to in my Rock and Roll Years thread, because it was your initial Pop Gold comment that made me think of it.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

1: Coward Of The County  - KENNY ROGERS
                        2: And The Beat Goes On  - WHISPERS (legs & co)
                        3: Atomic  - BLONDIE
                        6: Carrie  - CLIFF RICHARD
                        8: Baby I Love You  - RAMONES
                        10: So Good To Be Back Home Again  - TOURISTS
                        18: Living In The Plastic Age  - BUGGLES
                        23: Together We Are Beautiful  - FERN KINNEY
                        25: Games Without Frontiers  - PETER GABRIEL (credits)
                        30: All Night Long  - RAINBOW (charts)
                        40: Hot Dog  - SHAKIN' STEVENS
                        46: Running Free  - IRON MAIDEN
                        48: Hands Off - She's Mine  - THE BEAT

No room for Donna Summer (32), Sammy Hagar - again!(37), the Police (38) Captain & Tennille (39), and the Vapors (45).

BBC4 editied the debuts of Shakin Stevens and Iron Maiden from the early performance. Shakin Stevens drops out the top 40 after this week, only to re-enter the charts a week later. Peter Powell says that the Ramones are going to be huge!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Are they still doing the chart rundown at the start, without the song titles? When did they start including the titles, can't be long now?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I only became aware of Shakey following This Ole House so this was a surprise (or shock). I almost felt a whiff of nostalgia as he did his trademark strut at the end with possibly the first sighting of a slide guitar on TOTP since Pussycat's Mississippi.

And that wasn't Saxa doing this thing with the Beat on Hands Off She's Mine. Did TOTP think that by sticking on another black bloke half his age that we wouldn't notice? I'm almost offended.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

On the other hand, the BBC would probably consider it a result that it's taken 35 years for someone to complain...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Just watched last nights and Kid Pension used the phrase "touched up by the Stiff Little Fingers there"! Was Savlile in the studio?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I think I was vaguely aware of Shakey as a Karaoke Elvis or maybe as a prototype of Vic Reeves' club singer. His 1981 success was maybe caused by very young kids who were scared of seeing pop stars in make-up and thought Shakey represented some throwback to true masculinity.

New Wave of Heavy Metal - IIRC this week's chart is pre-Ace of Spades, which is really the single that opened things up. I tend to think of Maiden as the poor man's Zeppelin and Motorhead as the poor man's Sabbath.

From 1981, I recall the studio kids smirking somewhat at Ian Gillan's Spinal Tappish attempt to cash in on Cold War nuclear escalation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZe_Lv78KqA

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

NWOBHM was kicking in ahead of Ace of Spades, which was a hit (though only #15) much later in the year. Saxon had already made the Top 20 a couple of times, as had the returning Judas Priest, with others like Gillan and Iron Maiden - who also had a Top Five album - also scoring hits.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

satchmo76 wrote: I think I was vaguely aware of Shakey as a Karaoke Elvis or maybe as a prototype of Vic Reeves' club singer. His 1981 success was maybe caused by very young kids who were scared of seeing pop stars in make-up and thought Shakey represented some throwback to true masculinity.
                                      He was just another in a line of British acts in the 1970s and early '80s that evoked '50s rock & roll. Showaddywaddy, some of Mud's material and Matchbox come to mind. These acts bought into the '50s nostalgia that was big in the 1970s and early '80s. Shakey was just better looking and more charismatic than Matchbox to attract a broader audience. But when the '50s nostalgia gave way for the '60s nostalgia, even Shakey gradually faded.

I never could stand Shakin' Stevens. And didn't he wear eye make-up, or did it just like it?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Shaky (no 'e') did indeed wear a bit of slap - mainly to disguise the fact that he was already well into his thirties by the early 1980s and a veteran of the touring circuit.

As G-Man says, that ongoing UK vogue for rock 'n' roll revival (buoyed enormously by the global success of Grease) meant that he was always likely to make it at some point. Much like Showaddywaddy and also The Darts, his shtick was both familiar and family-friendly - hence he lasted a little longer than more pseudo-rebellious exponents such as The Stray Cats, etc.

And all despite this (oft-seen) near-suicidal attempt to promote the single Shooting Gallery - one of his earliest TV appearances, alongside ver Quo and a young Richard Madeley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGc_t7_sxB8

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Shakin' Stevens And The Sunsets had been going for years doing student gigs and Communist Party benefits. I saw them back in '76.

Anyway, I've just seen last weeks. A virtual penny to anyone who can guess which two singles from the show that I've got in my singles collection...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Shakin' Stevens now looks exactly like George Lee, the RTE news presenter and former Fine Gael TD.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Gangster Octopus wrote: Shakin' Stevens And The Sunsets had been going for years doing student gigs and Communist Party benefits. I saw them back in '76.
                                              They supported the Rolling Stones back in 1969.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Kid Pension
                                                Heh.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Just caught up on this weeks, went from sublime (Squeeze,Another Nail In My Heart), to the ridiculous (Rush, SadCafe) back to the utterly sublime (The Jam, Going Underground!).

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Sad Cafe, hmm. My Oh My - which I'm assuming was the track on TOTP - won my vote when we had that 'sounds most like the Rolling Stones (without being the Rolling Stones)' thread a year or two ago. They were total hacks, FWIR.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X