TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

My sister *loved* Doctor Hook when she was about 14, to the extent that she went to see a version of them that toured last year.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Dr Hook's collaborations with Shel Silverstein (Cover of The Rolling Stone, Sylvia's Mother) were great. They also did the first version of The Ballad Of Lucy Jordan.

Of their other hits, I really like Sexy Eyes, and I really despise Baby Got Her Blue Jeans On.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

'Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk'. Dr Hook became pretty yucky after (and some would say including) 'A Little Bit More'...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Ruby Flipper done Harvest For The World today, it was as close to a sub-Pans People style performance as I've seen so far, non literal, fairly normal..

..until they ran into the audience and each grabbed an obviously pre-chosen member of the audience (including DLT) to finish the final minute of the song with.

The stiffness, the awkwardness, the wrongness. Like a geriatrics aerobics class. RF's most explosive performance yet.

Dr Kiss Kiss woman had a pretty dress on tonight, genuinely liked it, better than before. Her face reminds me of a blond Mick Fleetwood though, which I don't think would have been the effect she would have been aiming for.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

That Boston Tea Party thing is absolute toss.
            I mean, what is it?
            Who the fuck would buy that? The Zaire song is dreadful too.
            The guitarist had a huge piss stain on his jeans and they had a Derek Smalls- type character cavorting around the front with a rubber mallet for some reason, and as for Dr. Kiss Kiss...

It really was a terrible, terrible television programme redeemed only by the hilariously awful content.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The Dr. Kiss Kiss woman was actually Gaby Logan.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Nah, Gaby Logan's better than that, Logan's got sexy ass legs to die for, there's something quite Mumsy about Logan, dirty like, bright as well, in a stupid 5live sort of way.

In short. I like Gaby Logan.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

To be honest the initial shock at how bad the shows generally were as kind of dissipated now. Not that it hides the fact that this Johnny Wakelin and the Kinshasa Band lot would have served the nation a great favour if the Bedford CF transporting them to the studio had broken down on the Chiswick flyover.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel's version of Here Comes The Sun was appalling. A cluttered fucking mess of instruments with over-exuberant drumming. Sometimes less is more, certainly in this case.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

atlanticjaxx wrote:
                      Ruby Flipper done Harvest For The World today, it was as close to a sub-Pans People style performance as I've seen so far, non literal, fairly normal..
                      Hugely disappointing. That song had so much potential for literal translation into dance. Each one of them could have dressed up as a different nationality. A Chinaman in a lampshade hat, an African tribesman, an Arabian woman in a burka, a Dutch milkmaid, a Cowboy etc. all dancing about with farming and garden implements.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The lead singer from 1776 looked like Charles Bronson. The prisoner, not the actor.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                          Each one of them could have dressed up as a different nationality. A Chinaman in a lampshade hat, an African tribesman, an Arabian woman in a burka, a Dutch milkmaid, a Cowboy etc. all dancing about with farming and garden implements.
                          There doesn't seem to be the necessary man hours to arrange something so perfectly literal as that, indeed there seems little time to spare a few extra lightbulbs so we can see what the dancers are doing, it's like they're performing in a power cut. There was no money at the beeb in 76 was there? there's a real jumble sale vibe to the whole thing really. You think of the dosh they throw at crap these days. Refreshing.

Calvert W. McCutcheon wrote:
                          The Zaire song is dreadful too.
                          The guitarist had a huge piss stain on his jeans and they had a Derek Smalls- type character cavorting around the front with a rubber mallet for some reason
                          I missed the huge piss stain. They never gave a close up on the Derek Smalls chimp did they? It looked like he had some hateful facial hair from where I was sat. Cant find any images of him though.

There was a great cheesy Euro-Rave version of In Zaire back in 1990, much better than knob pop of the original.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Aaaargh, that rapey Temptation record .. "I thought you were over 16".

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I thought Alex Harvey was really weird and menacing at the time, I didn't realise he was merely Scottish.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

MsD wrote:
                                Didn't R. Kelly cover that?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

MsD wrote:
                                  I think I missed that one, which one was that MsD?

I think there's another thread dedicated to rapey music that I haven't checked...But I'll give you.

Rick James - 17 (Great Tune btw)

A little girl came up to me
                                  Actin' young and shy
                                  A little curiosity was flashing in her eyes
                                  She had seen my face before
                                  And thought she knew me well
                                  So I said "Shall we talk some more...
                                  Well come to my hotel"
                                  She was only 17, 17
                                  But she was sexy

How we talked all through all the night
                                  And never even touched
                                  Even talked of love and life
                                  I wanted her that much
                                  She said she read a magazine
                                  That said I was a freak
                                  You'll never know now little
                                  Until you take a peak
                                  She was only 17, 17
                                  And she was sexy
                                  She was only 17, 17
                                  But she was young
                                  And fine
                                  And oh so tender
                                  Could I break down to find
                                  And surrender
                                  This young girl
                                  This sweet thing
                                  I just cant wait
                                  No I musnt do this
                                  She's almost jail bait

And Devin The Dude with Cutcha Up (Genuinely creepy)

"You look so young, but still look good
                                  The way the sun is shining on you, and I would if I could - Try to take a little piece of you and break you off
                                  But you're not quite ready, I got to hold steady, And try to control myself
                                  Cause if I start on you now there'll be nothing left
                                  I can't help it
                                  I guess it's just the way you smell
                                  You're growing up fast and quite well
                                  "

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Literal translations of 'Harvest For the World' remind me of the time Harvester restaurants actually used it (unadulterated) as their TV commercial jingle during the nineties. Just staggering stupidity - even for Harvester.

I've missed the last couple of TOTP repeats. Just as well, judging by some of these posts.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The lead singer from 1776 looked like Charles Bronson. The prisoner, not the actor.
                                      I thought it might be a male impersonator. If he was a birth-male, he had a very elegant bone structure.

The piss-stain discussed above was, I believe, a patch. The Derek Smalls character reminded me of my buddy with the eyepatch from Dr Hook, or that immense fuckwit with the hat and the glo-sticks who helped create the popular perception of Galliano as a bunch of irritating unicycling soap-dodgers who hung out with Merton Mick, obscuring the fact that they wrote a couple of decent tunes.

DLT is wearing a World Football League t-shirt. Florida was very much an aspirational holiday destination in the mid-1970s: he must have radiated cool. In fact, the charts were teeming with package holiday influence: Baccara, Julio Iglesias, Demis Roussos…. I realise how much my perception of Britain in this era comes from Mike Leigh films: whenever I hear Forever and ever I think of Abigail's party, and my immediate reaction to seeing Kiki Dee's outfit was: "kiss Pwudence goodnight!"

Poor Kiki had to put up with Elton John trying to put his arms around her, squeeze her, touch her hands, and pull silly faces at her all the way through that video. She didn't seem too thrilled.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

laverte wrote:
                                        my immediate reaction to seeing Kiki Dee's outfit was: "kiss Pwudence goodnight!"

Poor Kiki had to put up with Elton John trying to put his arms around her, squeeze her, touch her hands, and pull silly faces at her all the way through that video. She didn't seem too thrilled.
                                        I have to quote dalliance from earlier in the thread Re: Kiki Dee.

dalliance wrote:
                                        Kiki Dee makes her impressive contribution to the women in dungarees who are not necessarily lesbian discussion. She sports a fetching pink pair with large front pouch in her duet with Elton John. At one point he examines her baggy flap and kisses it, still on the dungarees here folks.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Sheer Elegance and Temptation

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The piss-stain discussed above was, I believe, a patch.
                                            An extremely authentic looking piss-stain shaped patch, in that case.

The rapey song guys need to have a word with their wardrobe people. The trousers were so tight that they clearly had to pick a side and move their entire unit over.
                                            A gruesome sight indeed for all the young ladies dancing at japs-eye level below them.

Bleuurgh.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

laverte wrote:
                                              I realise how much my perception of Britain in this era comes from Mike Leigh films: whenever I hear Forever and ever I think of Abigail's party, and my immediate reaction to seeing Kiki Dee's outfit was: "kiss Pwudence goodnight!"
                                              Except Pwudence was from Nuts in May, wasn't it, not Abigail's Party?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

That David Dundas "...Blue Jeans..." song had a bunch of pro-looking dancers performing at the foot of his stage in "Hot Gosip" T-shirts. Did they start as second fiddle to Ruby Flipper then make the gig their own?

And Calvert, I think the preferred term these days is hog's eye.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Two things strike me from this week's show:

5000 Volts woman was neither Mick Fleetwood nor Gabby Logan but clearly Dick Emery.

Johnny Wakelin is Adam Ant's dad.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Calvert W. McCutcheon wrote:
                                                    The guitarist had a huge piss stain on his jeans and they had a Derek Smalls- type character cavorting around the front with a rubber mallet for some reason
                                                    It was a gourd rattle, you daft racist. And while we're on the Partridgisms, that Dr Kiss Kiss singer was the very epitome of a 40 year old stunner.

Also, did anyone think Johnny Cash had an air of Les Dawson about him?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X