No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Touch Myself by The Divinyls - great record.

RIP Chrissy and Warren.

Comment

I was only 6 at the time - was there a big sex thing going on in the summer of 1991? Songs suddenly seem a bit more up front about it.

Comment

It was a great song then and it's a great song now. (Edit; in response to Jah)

Pro cycling fashion must have been a thing in the summer of 91 as there's been two instances in this episode, a member of Latour wearing a Carrera jersey and a brief glimpse of a Toshiba casquette in the Carter USM video.

Comment

I'd love to hear Chart Music's view on the horrific chart rundown from 40-2 in these two episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
            I was only 6 at the time - was there a big sex thing going on in the summer of 1991? Songs suddenly seem a bit more up front about it.
            Yep - that particular ‘vogue’ prompted the Points of View meltdown discussed back on the murky depths of page 114.

Comment

Out of interest what would the Doors song at this late date have been?

Comment

It was the reissue of Light My Fire to coincide with Oliver Stone’s film.

Oddly, the song had never previously been a UK Top 10 hit.

Comment

The song was a Top 10 hit for Jose Feliciano in 1968 but he made it an MOR piece, with strings; slowed it down and toned down the sexual menace on it. The Doors version had been played by John Peel on Radio London in June 1967 (http://www.45cat.com/record/eksn45014) but it stayed on the margins.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-08-2021, 09:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                    Even Billy Bragg was catching the mood as he released Sexuality that summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      The song was a Top 10 hit for Jose Feliciano in 1968 but he made it an MOR piece, with strings; slowed it down and toned down the sexual menace on it. The Doors version had been played by John Peel on Radio London in June 1967 (http://www.45cat.com/record/eksn45014) but it stayed on the margins.
                      Yes, my bad - I meant The Doors’ original.

Amii Stewart’s disco rendition also went Top Five in 1979.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        It was the reissue of Light My Fire to coincide with Oliver Stone’s film.

Oddly, the song had never previously been a UK Top 10 hit.
                        Not totally odd. The Doors and Love were Electra's first UK album releases in the UK as an independent. So singles from both, and the LPs themselves, were not widely promoted, nor was there much airplay. They were also the company's first rock releases

Comment

Neil Young, Journey and Bonnie Raitt are others who fall outside of the BBC's blanket PRS licensing agreement for TV showings, although they are even less likely to have appeared on TOTP than The Doors (and the Beeb has now cleared all of them for radio).

On a related note, have they been able to show Mike Smith hosted shows yet? I recall he (and then his estate after he died) were unilaterally blocking reruns of his shows.

Comment

Comment

I could possibly agree with you, Sporting, but your post is entirely blank at present.

Comment

It's either a John Cage tribute or he's channeling Milli Vanilli...

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                  Not totally odd. The Doors and Love were Electra's first UK album releases in the UK as an independent. So singles from both, and the LPs themselves, were not widely promoted, nor was there much airplay. They were also the company's first rock releases
                                  This is true, however I’d nonetheless expect such a high-profile US number one to fare somewhat better than one week at #49 in the UK charts - which was its only showing until the 1991 reissue.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                    I could possibly agree with you, Sporting, but your post is entirely blank at present.
                                    I don't remember what I wanted to say and also I thought that content-less posts were impossible.

On edit: I tried to do so but got the message: Text required.
                                    Last edited by Sporting; 08-08-2021, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        This is true, however I’d nonetheless expect such a high-profile US number one to fare somewhat better than one week at #49 in the UK charts - which was its only showing until the 1991 reissue.
                                        There was generally a big disconnect between what was happening on the West Coast and the UK charts in 1967 though. Aside from The Doors, Jefferson Airplane had two top ten hits and Buffalo Springfield their only one. None featured on UK radio — pirate or Beeb — so barely saw the light of day until a year or so later.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

There was generally a big disconnect between what was happening on the West Coast and the UK charts in 1967 though. Aside from The Doors, Jefferson Airplane had two top ten hits and Buffalo Springfield their only one. None featured on UK radio — pirate or Beeb — so barely saw the light of day until a year or so later.
                                          And even Buffalo Springfield would have remained unknown in the UK, were it not for the Forrest Gump soundtrack album.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

And even Buffalo Springfield would have remained unknown in the UK, were it not for the Forrest Gump soundtrack album.
                                            I don't agree. Maybe the generation for whom Forest Gump was a movie of their teens, but those of us older than that were pretty familiar with For What It's Worth and the connection with CSNY

Comment

That’s my thinking viz Light My Fire - regardless of whether or not it was a UK hit in 1967, for such a classic and well-recognised tune to remain outside the Top 40 for two-and-a-half decades is strange to say the least. But anyways…

Comment

And so it begins - tonight was week 1 of 16 with Bryan Adams at number 1.

Tonight's episode was 11th July. Eight days later, I was fostered by my aunt and uncle after a few months of wrangling about who should have custody of me after my mum gave me up in the summer of 1990. I bloody loved Bryan Adams being number 1 for so long. I loved the song, and I think it's down to the fact that at that point it was the only stability I really knew. I remember being gutted when The Fly by U2 knocked it off.

I'm going to love these next 15 episodes, even if no-one else does.

Comment

Bloody hell Simon, that's some anecdote. Always hated that song, but it's all right by me now.

Enjoyed seeing Cola Boy perform, I thought it would be St Etienne on stage, but it wasn't. Internet research informs me they paid a mate to stand in for them under their short-lived Cola Boy moniker.

Comment

As mentioned by Fussbudget earlier, the playing of the chart countdown over a video five minutes into the programme really takes all the wind out of the sails.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X