TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    How quickly you've forgotten Jam Tronik (ah YEAH!)
    I tried to. Thank you so much for reminding me.

Comment

She's got a bit of Marc Almond going on with the theatrics.

They also did End Of The Road:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-07-2021, 15:37.

Comment

Can't imagine Buddy's Song itself has been aired on TV too many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
          Can't imagine Buddy's Song itself has been aired on TV too many times.
          AFAIR it was a pretty big hit at the time.

Comment

A lot of very short-lived hype, as I recall.

Comment

That was a fun episode. Highlights included Electronic, with ACR's Donald Johnson enjoying himself on the drum pads, and an early sighting of Blur. Gloria Estefan and band gave an energetic performance. Nicky Campbell's hailing of Chesney Hawkes as a welcome chart antidote to Australian soap stars showed his usual anti-Midas touch.

Comment

Damon Albarn definitely looked like he had some substance taken during There's No Other Way, biggest surprise is that Gloria Estefan was still having hits in 1991.

Comment

Another forgettable UK Eurovision entry from a future medium-level TV star.

Comment

Estefan was having hits in 1996, and possibly later than that which I can't be arsed to look up.

I remember watching that second episode at the time. That KLF performance absolutely blew me away and it still holds up now. Not sure if I've seen it in the time since. Also enjoyed another Mystic Mayo incidence with him incorrectly predicting a song would go to number one.

Senza Una Donna would however have been a number one if they'd released it in 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                      Estefan was having hits in 1996, and possibly later than that which I can't be arsed to look up.
                      She had three UK Top 40 hits in 1998 alone - Heaven’s What I Feel being the biggest at #17.

(There, did it for you.)

Comment

What was the re-issue of Tainted Love all about? Not that I'm complaining, it's so far pretty much pissed on everything else this evening...

Comment

Apparently, they released a singles compilation album that year, so it was a tie-in with that.

Comment

Almond added a new vocal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tainte..._version_(1991)

Comment

I enjoyed Future Love Paradise, along with the quiet satisfaction of knowing Wednesday had been promoted to the top flight the night before (an achievement we haven't repeated in all the time since)

Seeing I Wanna Sex You Up close the second episode alerts me to us being near the show that attracted complaints on Points Of View for featuring that (at number one), Get The Funk Out and People Are Still Having Sex.
                              Last edited by longeared; 23-07-2021, 20:27.

Comment

That's 20.6.91 but not far away because some of the repeats are being omitted if they contain a Doors song (which can't be shown for rights reasons).

Comment

So, like for Quadrophonia last week we've been treated to a version of Anasthasia which has some surprise cheesy rap on top for some reason. Still a monster tune though

I've always liked that Amy Grant song, not sure why as it's fairly mediocre and forgettable.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                    Seeing I Wanna Sex You Up close the second episode alerts me to us being near the show that attracted complaints on Points Of View for featuring that (at number one), Get The Funk Out and People Are Still Having Sex.
                                    Ha - I remember that! “I’m sure we can all imagine the singalong version of Get the Funk Out!”

The author of that letter would probably have a stroke at the lyrics that pass today.

Comment

I hadn't thought about Points of View for years. The voices that read out the letters were incredibly irritating. It sounded as if they used the same people as What The Papers Say but it didn't make sense that PoV would openly set out to mock and deflate its correspondents. It is hard to believe that the vocal gurning was supposed to be a sympathetic interpretation of the material though.

Wow, I didn't know that the programme is still running. Is it still as grating?

Comment

Is it still running?

Comment

Apparently it has a Sunday lunchtime slot on BBC1, but is off air at the moment to accommodate the summer sporting schedule.

Comment

Technotronic should have won an Ivor Novello for "Wave your hands up in the air / Shake your derriere / Like you just don't care"

Comment

That's a hell of a monobrow Bill Berry is sporting in the video for " shiny happy people " .

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                That's 20.6.91 but not far away because some of the repeats are being omitted if they contain a Doors song (which can't be shown for rights reasons).
                                                Ah, that messed with my head this week, seeing big climbers on Friday's second show from Kirsty MacColl, Salt n Pepa, and Kenny Thomas, when they weren't in the charts on the earlier program.

Youtube has the skipped 30/5/91 episode with Technotronic, MC Hammer, PWEI, Sonia, Kraftwerk, Siouxsie, Amy Grant, Kylie, Cher and of course the Doors.

Comment

Why are they skipping whole episodes for one song?

Comment

I think because The Doors were over the end credits it wasn't so easy to cut out.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X