TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    At least one of last week's episodes was the same, it's one of a bunch of crap changes to happen in 1991 as they were trying to revamp the show.

Later on in the year *spoilers ahead* the presenter will stop reading the chart and it'll just appear on screen while a video plays, and by the end of the year I think they only show the top 10 and all the presenters get replaced by annoying children's TV presenters, and all the acts have to sing live which is obviously a brilliant policy to introduce at the height of rave and sampling (it'll give us this kind of car crash)
    I wonder if that was slightly altered by 1992 to just some of the vocals having to be live - Utah Saints were allowed to use their Kate Bush sample, but had a guy with a megaphone doing the shouting the band name part of the track.

From just a few weeks later, these out of tune kids singing the Sesame Street theme is worth a mention on the car crash theme.
    Last edited by Crystal Staples; 14-06-2021, 21:42.

Comment

Haha cheers both these are all fantastic/terrible. In a perverse way I'm quite looking forward to the live vocal phase because while the records are all going to sound awful it's also bound to be fairly entertaining

Comment

Bring it on, I say. I'd far rather have amusingly inept performances of rave records (nb: I've gone on record here before as having a huge soft spot for that genre) than competently mimed performances of the last scrapings of the S/A/W barrel, tasteful yet anonymous 98bpm shuffling covers of old soul tracks, or Jive Bunny.

Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 15-06-2021, 06:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
          Haha cheers both these are all fantastic/terrible. In a perverse way I'm quite looking forward to the live vocal phase because while the records are all going to sound awful it's also bound to be fairly entertaining
          Not always true. These two did a decent enough job:

Comment

Sounds like a mid-afternoon playlist - Chesney Hawkes followed by Losing My Religion.

Comment

Interesting that Massive Attack were simply Massive when Unfinished Sympathy was released.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                Interesting that Massive Attack were simply Massive when Unfinished Sympathy was released.
                They had to drop the Attack temporarily because of the Gulf War (in which the BBC got a bit censorious about what it played in the radio).

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                  They were briefly made to drop the "attack" around the time of the first gulf war - the BBC in particular were squeamish and censored a huge amount of "war" songs and a few band names like this one. Didn't happen for future wars in the gulf and elsewhere though. We got used to it.

EDIT: Beaten to it by WFD... I got distracted by Gardeners' World mid-post.

Comment

Decent show tonight, don't remember that Happy Mondays song, but it's a cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

They were briefly made to drop the "attack" around the time of the first gulf war - the BBC in particular were squeamish and censored a huge amount of "war" songs and a few band names like this one. Didn't happen for future wars in the gulf and elsewhere though. We got used to it.

Heh, it's usually me that gets pipped in these situations, but usually because of me having to correct my terrible hasty typing rather than Gardeners' World.

I'll also throw in a bonus factoid, which was that a few months earlier (than this episode) I won a Massive Attack white label 12" single in a student union quiz night, but let someone else have it, as they'd heard of them and I hadn't. Should have kept hold of it in retrospect.

Comment

Boy George becoming a Hare Krishna is a new one on me!

Comment

Enough with these choppy countdowns!

Comment

Feargal Sharkey is really not somebody I expected to see (or remember charting) in 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                              Feargal Sharkey is really not somebody I expected to see (or remember charting) in 1991.
                              That song wasn't particularly memorable, in fairness.

Comment

Bloody awful would be a better description.

Comment

In two weeks time we'll get the 4th April show which was covered by Chart Music. Will have to listen to that one again ahead of watching the episode.

EDIT: Actually - it should be next week.
                                  Last edited by Simon G; 25-06-2021, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                    Best and most left-field excuse you'll see in this thread for ages, I reckon. It was a pretty decent episode, though I could have done without the repeat of that segment from last year with the florist woman growing cut flowers on her allotment. I'm sure there's a few local authorities who'd complain about the plot not being used to grow edibles.

Comment

I guess they're still having to repeat clips because of Covid restrictions, they'll still have a shortage of prerecorded stuff, most of which is done the previous year at the height of the season. Some of the viewers' films are starting to get a bit "so what?" as well, although they were a delight last year.

We grow about 20 per cent flowers on our plot, which is a bit more than most on our site. When we got the plot we were told it was mainly for edibles, but the council don't care what you do as long as you keep it reasonably tidy, and there have been people in the past who only grew cut flowers. My feeling is that flowers bring in the pollinators for the edibles, so you get a better crop with a decent mix, plus even with two freezers we produce more than we can eat, so we don't need all the space.

But yeah, decent episode, "Frosty" is good company, I find, and a lightening of workload seems to be good for Monty. Shoved out to 9.30 next week because of the tennis.

Comment

Oh yes, I wasn't knocking people who grow flowers on their allotments as well as edibles, seems a perfectly sound way of bringing in needed pollinators to me as well as making the place look nice. I'd do it myself if I had a plot. Agreed about the increasingly "meh" nature of some of the viewers' films, definitely. And indeed about them switching focus to Adam Frost's garden for a week here and there. My family are convinced he's being 'groomed' as Monty's eventual successor, and this would be an ideal way of easing him into that for sure.

Comment

I didn't realise that the Rolling Stones were still having hits this late in the day, I thought that they finished having hits around the time of Waiting for a Friend.

Comment

That bloke who wrote Human Nature probably thought he was being really edgy and right on, when in fact it was just a patronising clichéd pile of crap. An acid version of Another Day in Paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              Decent show tonight, don't remember that Happy Mondays song, but it's a cracker.
                                              Didn’t see it, so I’m guessing Loose Fit?

Toss-up between that and WFL for the much-coveted title of my favourite Mondays moment.

Comment

Yeah, Loose Fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                  That bloke who wrote Human Nature probably thought he was being really edgy and right on, when in fact it was just a patronising clichéd pile of crap. An acid version of Another Day in Paradise.
                                                  How quickly you've forgotten Jam Tronik (ah YEAH!)

Comment

I just got to the "ah YEAH" bit, and it made me laugh out loud. I have never heard or seen that before in my life.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X