No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 not exactly a vintage year thus far, with Gazza followed by generic Black Box.

Comment

That Gazza thing is as hideous as expected, and even at his prime you could see that he had problems keeping the weight off.

I think I said this upthread, but the whole Turtle Power thing completely passed me by. It's not as if I was an old man, I was 26 .Maybe it just wasn't as big in Ireland.

Comment

I saw a tweet of an email from the BBC to someone who asked, confirming that, so far as they were aware, there were no plans for a Big Hits of 1991, like they have done for previous years.

Comment

Is that down to the whole Year Zero format overhaul then?

Comment

It didn't going into much detail, unfortunately.

Comment

Anthea Turner - the KLF look like the KKK!

Comment

Wait until they turn up a few months later to perform Last Train To Trancentral.

Thought that first show tonight was the best there's been for ages, and I missed a lot of Vanilla Ice because I was too busy laughing at Anthea's comment.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  I think I said this upthread, but the whole Turtle Power thing completely passed me by. It's not as if I was an old man, I was 26 .Maybe it just wasn't as big in Ireland.
                  You mean that record, or the ‘entire’ Teenage Mutant/Ninja- nonsense?

It was inescapable, wasn’t it? There were a bunch of slightly embarrassing guys where I used to work who were always banging on about it - ‘pizza-throwers’ and Shredder and Donatello and suchlike. A bit like Harry Potter now - adults getting way too into kids’ stuff and making themselves look decidedly foolish.

Comment

I was 6 at the time and I still remember my Christmas list for that year:

Turtles figures
                    Turtles scooter
                    Turtles walkie-talkies
                    Turtles.....

Basically, everything I wanted was Turtles related.

I can't talk about adults, but it was pretty much the only thing I watched at the time.

Comment

You were six. Go (turtles) figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        You mean that record, or the ‘entire’ Teenage Mutant/Ninja- nonsense?

It was inescapable, wasn’t it? There were a bunch of slightly embarrassing guys where I used to work who were always banging on about it - ‘pizza-throwers’ and Shredder and Donatello and suchlike. A bit like Harry Potter now - adults getting way too into kids’ stuff and making themselves look decidedly foolish.
                        I definitely don't remember the song, though I reckon I was on holidays at the time, I went on interrail for 3 weeks that year.

I remember the film being out,and the comic books, but they basically passed me by.

Comment

I definitely don't remember the song, though I reckon I was on holidays at the time, I went on interrail for 3 weeks that year.

I remember the film being out,and the comic books, but they basically passed me by.
                          In that era, The Den could pretty much make or break whether a song became a hit in Ireland, depending on what videos they picked for the birthday roller - certainly, I remember them playing both Simpsons videos on a loop for weeks (which was odd, as it would be another five years before RTE gained the rights to the actual series), but don't think Turtle Power got the same saturation, even though the animated programme regularly topped the Top Five polls in kids' letters.

Comment

About all I remember of the Turtles was that the prudish Brits tried to ruin it for the kids by demanding thet became "Hero Turtles" rather than Ninjas. Which didn't make sense as they were ninjas in the cartoons (I presume).
                            A bit like Top Cat changing to Boss Cat, with his crew in the cartoon still calling him "TC".

Comment

Yep, it made no sense given that the original title was being used in the movie(s) and elsewhere. Self-defeating in that it drew more attention to it, in fact.

The word was ‘ninja’ anyway, for Christ’s sake - it’s not like they were the ‘Teenage Mutant BDSM Correction Therapy Turtles’…

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                ...it’s not like they were the ‘Teenage Mutant BDSM Correction Therapy Turtles’…
                                Didn't Fifty Shades of Grey originate as Turtles fanfiction?

Comment

Copulating Chelonia? That’d likely have made that wretched book even longer.

Comment

I didn't expect to see Skin on TOTP repeats for another few years, that was her performing with Kenny Thomas wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                      Anthea Turner - the KLF look like the KKK!
                                      I've been catching up on the last few weeks and just got to that, without having read this first - I had to rewind it to check I hadn't imagined it.

And a couple of episodes earlier Nicky Campbell did a gag about wiping your arse on The Sun.

I'd forgotten about that Gazza follow up single and video, Jesus.

Comment

Three episodes on the trot with Summers Magic climbing up the chart and we don't even get a snippet of it in the breakers or anything. Swizz

Comment

Watching last night's ( 14/2 /91) the chart countdown only read out climbers and new entries, Was this a regular thing at the time?

Comment

And were RTE still showing it at this stage - it was certainly a number of years later before they launched their own version - right up until '93, it seems!

Comment

Fantastic brainstorming went into that Oleta Adams song. Given that we know there are hills and mountains to get over, and also a desert to cross, we can probably cross out windsuring.

Comment

Watching last night's ( 14/2 /91) the chart countdown only read out climbers and new entries, Was this a regular thing at the time?
                                                At least one of last week's episodes was the same, it's one of a bunch of crap changes to happen in 1991 as they were trying to revamp the show.

Later on in the year *spoilers ahead* the presenter will stop reading the chart and it'll just appear on screen while a video plays, and by the end of the year I think they only show the top 10 and all the presenters get replaced by annoying children's TV presenters, and all the acts have to sing live which is obviously a brilliant policy to introduce at the height of rave and sampling (it'll give us this kind of car crash)

Comment

Ha actually Praga Khan shouting out the samples on Injected With a Poison is even worse. Dearie me we've got some trying times ahead

Comment

It was all very deliberate, the last rancorous gasp for Real Music bores.

i'd add Roobarb and Custard by Shaft to the list of motoring accidents.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X