No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's from the video for On Our Own, which was shown at greater length in 1989. Bobby Brown presumably couldn't be arsed to deliver any new material by that point so just mixed a load of old stuff into a new record. There's more of this thing later in 1990, the Grease megamix nearly made Christmas number one and the Quo also released one.

Comment

I don't know why whoever put together the photo montage for Pavarotti's Nessum Dorma decided to include a picture of John Barnes getting kicked up the air against Arsenal.

Comment

I thought following Diego Maradona with Steve Bull was fantastic.

Comment

Fucking hell, Geldof did River Dance earlier than I was aware. And this is a dull version of All The Young Dudes​​​​​. Definitely bedtime...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
            Apparently Trump's just appeared on a video. (I'm not watching it, but a friend is.)
            BBC4 has censored far less controversial moments so I wonder if this slipped by the editor, or perhaps the edit was done before the insurrection?

Comment

Is 'Sacarafiiiice' the first time Elton John made an appearance in the club style?

Comment

I thought it was in his longstanding ballad tradition: Daniel, Nikita, etc. He was still only 43, which goes into the "facts that make me feel old" file.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                  I thought following Diego Maradona with Steve Bull was fantastic.
                  In desperate times he restored hope and brought joy. For this, the people worship him as a living saint, almost a god.

Preceding him with Diego Maradona was a nice touch.

Comment

Why is Sacrifice called Sacrifice when the lyrics are "It's no sacrifice "

Comment

You might as well ask why Satisfaction is called Satisfaction.

I suppose the Stones at least included (I Can't Get No) in brackets, so Elton might've usefully called his (It's No) Sacrifice.

Comment

More especially you could ask why Paranoid by Black Sabbath is called Paranoid when that word doesn't appear in the song. Likewise Clint Eastwood or Dirty Harry by Gorillaz.

Comment

Well, that's a far broader church (see almost everything recorded by New Order before 1990) - the preceding point was that those titles suggest at the 'opposite' of the song's sentiment.

Comment

Lockdown self-amusement = renaming songs eltonally:

Stranglers – More heroes
                            2 Unlimited – Limit
                            Hall and Oates – Go for that (can do)
                            Dawn Penn –

Comment

Scrubs - TLC
                              Rest - New Model Army

This is swallowing time that should be spent on my academic paper; Ain't No Sunshine: The Paradox of Double Negatives in Applied Eltonics.

Comment

Go To Chelsea - Elvis Costello & The Attractions (I'm sure EC, being a sarcastic curmudgeon, has many more).

Songs where the title means the opposite of the sentiment:

I Believe In Father Christmas - Greg Lake
                                Holidays In The Sun - Sex Pistols
                                God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  Songs where the title means the opposite of the sentiment:

I Believe In Father Christmas - Greg Lake
                                  Holidays In The Sun - Sex Pistols
                                  God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols
                                  The Greatness and Perfection of Love - Julian Cope
                                  Everybody's Happy Nowadays - Buzzcocks
                                  It's Good News Week - Hedgehoppers Anonymous

Comment

Worst episode ever!

Comment

Which one, the 5 July or 12 July?

I'm watching the 5 July one currently and was reminded to look something up - one of the recent episodes featured a Magnum song and I did a double take at the state of the vocalist (Bob Catley, fact fans). I looked up his age, Chart Music style, and lo and behold he was 42 at the time.

I missed a lot of these episodes at the time due to a lengthy holiday, so some of this (including the Thunderbirds thing that is currently on) is new viewing. From the recent episodes I'd go into bat all day for Hold On by Wilson Philips, that song's rise came just before I went on said holiday and has always stayed with me.

Actually now I'm hoping you mean the 5 July one because I can't take the 12 July one being worse than this.

Comment

I didn't like I'm Free at the time and I don't like it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                          Which one, the 5 July or 12 July?

I'm watching the 5 July one currently and was reminded to look something up - one of the recent episodes featured a Magnum song and I did a double take at the state of the vocalist (Bob Catley, fact fans). I looked up his age, Chart Music style, and lo and behold he was 42 at the time.

I missed a lot of these episodes at the time due to a lengthy holiday, so some of this (including the Thunderbirds thing that is currently on) is new viewing. From the recent episodes I'd go into bat all day for Hold On by Wilson Philips, that song's rise came just before I went on said holiday and has always stayed with me.

Actually now I'm hoping you mean the 5 July one because I can't take the 12 July one being worse than this.
                                          Yes, the 5th - won't spoil your enjoyment of the 12th, but there are at least some decent originals the following week.

Comment

And no recollection whatsoever of this cover of Lovin' You. That top note was proof of the adage that just because something is there, it doesn't mean you have to go for it.

Comment

The 12 July one is an improvement, but the chart is still a complete state, with a lot of pointless cover versions. Again I'd never have guessed that Thunder were ever on TOTP covering Gimme Some Loving, but on the plus side the guitarist did some foreshadowing of the Manics by wearing a t-shirt which said simply 'slut'.

If that Gun song had been recorded a few months later you can't help but think it would have been baggied up a bit and their clothing moved one step further on from the uneasy mix they were wearing.

That Stone Roses song really was when they jumped the shark, even though no one admitted it until the second album came out.

Naked in the Rain holds up though.

Comment

We're not far from Bombalurina getting to number 1.

The joint first record I ever owned fact fans, at the tender age of 5. My mum bought it for me along with "Turtle Power" by Partners in Kryme.

I'd love to say my musical taste got better as I got older, but I also owned "Do the Bartman" a few months later....

Comment

To be honest I can't decide which episode was the worse of the two, but Inspiral Carpets was probably the best track over the two episodes. Couldn't spot their roadie, mind.
                                                  Few points:
                                                  Don't remember that Glen Madieros and Bobby Brown track and now feel worse for being made aware of its existence.
                                                  Both episodes had way too many substandard cover versions.
                                                  Poison were all style and no substance, the epitome of mediocre poodle rock.
                                                  Nicky Campbell really has been a total knob his entire life.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                                    We're not far from Bombalurina getting to number 1.

The joint first record I ever owned fact fans, at the tender age of 5. My mum bought it for me along with "Turtle Power" by Partners in Kryme.

I'd love to say my musical taste got better as I got older, but I also owned "Do the Bartman" a few months later....
                                                    Certainly not Jacko's finest musical hour, though his uncredited appearance in the series was presumably the same year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X