No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind some of Madonna's stuff, but Vogue is awful and it seems to be number 1 for ever.

Googling Paula Abdul's career, I didn't realise she was so huge in the USA , 6 number ones, three of which tanked in the UK, and three were big hits.

I was going to be nasty about Pat and Mick, until I found out that all their singles were for children's charities so they get a pass.

Comment

Don't worry, it's not number one next week. Mystic Mayo got his prediction of a future chart topper right for once.

Comment

'November Spawned A Monster' is a very dark record for TOTP and I'm not sure that Morrissey is expressing sympathy for the subject of disability in light of his subsequent politics. He could infact be saying that disabled children are incapable of receiving love, which is an extremely sick POV but not untypical of whom we now know Morrissey to be.

Paula Abdul was a judge on 'American Idol' from 2000-2009, and tended to deliberately play good cop to Cowell's nasty one.

Comment

That Bruce Dickinson song really rips off "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey.

Comment

^Why the hell that pile of old cobblers was played two weeks in a row, God alone knows.

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
            Googling Paula Abdul's career, I didn't realise she was so huge in the USA , 6 number ones, three of which tanked in the UK, and three were big hits.
            Paula Abdul was absolutely massive in the US - in terms of female artists, at that time she was outselling Madonna, Whitney and Janet Jackson, for whom she’d previously worked as choreographer. (If memory serves, those six number ones were pretty much consecutive.)

It should be added that Janet J then turned up with Rhythm Nation and reclaimed the throne - until Mariah Carey came along and somehow blew them all out of the water. (Yes, I know.)
            Last edited by Jah Womble; 13-12-2020, 14:01.

Comment

Can anyone identify the football shirts worn by Beats International on the 10/05/1990 edition (12 minutes in)?

Edit: Got most of them (Inter, Fiorentina, Juve) but not the yellow one sported by Norman Cook. Is it even a replica top? It looks more like a sweatshirt. Don't recognise the badge.

Edit again: Ah, of course. The band's own merch:

Last edited by Mumpo; 13-12-2020, 14:16.

Comment

Fiorentina / Inter change / don't know who the black and white striped one was (not Udinese, they weren't sponsored by Pirelli)

Comment

Must be Juve?

Edit: No, clearly not their badge. Botafogo? Were they ever sponsored by Pirelli? Coca-Cola in 1990, looks like.
                  Last edited by Mumpo; 13-12-2020, 14:52.

Comment

Juve were never sponsored by Pirelli, nor were Botafogo or Atletico Mineiro. Palmeiras were, but don't wear black and white stripes.

The clip won't play here, so I can't be of more help.

Comment

Youtube version

The guy in the black and white striped shirt takes centre stage near the end.

Comment

Definitely Botafogo

My sources may be off, or could be a one time sponsor or a knock off.

The fact the Pirelli is in red makes me think knock off, as red is not a colour associated with the club, nor one they have traditionally used for shirt sponsorships.
                        Last edited by ursus arctos; 13-12-2020, 15:41.

Comment

Simon Mayo manages the singular feat of making Anthea Turner look a decent presenter by comparison - maybe film suits him better than pop music.

Comment

Never actually had heard World In Motion before - decent, but it's no Put 'Em Under Pressure.

Comment

John Barnes was talking about it recently. The season finished the day before World in Motion was recorded. The players had a few days off before the squad met up for the World Cup, so most of them wanted to go home, and only Barnes, Gascoigne, Mc Mahon, Walker and Beardsley turned up. The rest of the squad thought it was a waste of time , until the royalties started coming in.

Comment

That same week there was a two page spread in Shoot! having a go at that (headline "BAD ALL OVER") and other World Cup records in general. They lumped it in with Scotland's dirge Say It With Pride, something Lineker had released and something Terry Butcher was involved in. The banality of the lyrics in the latter still sticks in my mind, fortunately I can't find any trace of it online.

In this satellite television age
                                There has never been a bigger stage
                                And we believe our nation
                                Can cause a sensation

Comment

What in the world did Lineker release?

(I mean, other than those terrible ‘86 and ‘88 records with the England squads.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                    What in the world did Lineker release?

(I mean, other than those terrible ‘86 and ‘88 records with the England squads.)
                                    A single with Roy of the Rovers, apparently.

Comment

https://twitter.com/royoftherovers/status/1095688703522103296

Comment

Just watched the 1995 Christmas episode and they had Mike Flowers Pops' version on Wonderwall as the Christmas Number 1. I know for a fact it was Earth Song by Michael Jackson, and I'm sure that's what they played on Christmas Day 25 years ago as I remember watching the episode whilst eating Christmas Dinner.

Is there a chance they filmed two outcomes?

Comment

Quite likely - the site that has episode listings for TOTP has the show concluding with Jacko. Christmas Day that year fell on a Monday, so they'd have only known the Christmas number one the day before, and presumably they filmed the show sometime in the preceding week. IIRC it was quite a close battle for the top spot.

There was a lot to take away from the programme though, including some truly terrible haircuts, Take That thinking they were the Beatles, Bjork unable to deliver the script in a way we haven't seen since Bates was in his pomp, those awful collarless jackets and shirts that were in at the time, Damon Albarn all over the place, several songs I'd forgotten entirely and N-Trance being the only decent song in full.

Comment

I actually knew every song, and in a lot of cases could remember all of the lyrics as well.

I'm not ashamed of this - I was 11 in 1995, but I agree a lot of it was complete trash.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                              Quite likely - the site that has episode listings for TOTP has the show concluding with Jacko. Christmas Day that year fell on a Monday, so they'd have only known the Christmas number one the day before, and presumably they filmed the show sometime in the preceding week. IIRC it was quite a close battle for the top spot.
                                              That was one of the classic chart battles, and I remember where I was when the chart was read out (driving back with my then girlfriend after dropping presents off at her family members - in fact we might even have timed our journey back to coincide with the chart being read out, such was the interest).

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                A single with Roy of the Rovers, apparently.
                                                Jesus, so he’d show up for that but not for World in Motion...

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                  Simon Mayo manages the singular feat of making Anthea Turner look a decent presenter by comparison - maybe film suits him better than pop music.
                                                  Yer jokin arn yer?

Best to worst:
                                                  Nicky Campbell
                                                  ooh Gary Davies
                                                  Simon Mayo
                                                  Jackie Brambles
                                                  Mark Goodier
                                                  Jenny Powell
                                                  Bruno Brookes
                                                  Anthea Turner

(Also, you'd never heard World in Motion before? How is that even possible?)

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                    Also, you'd never heard World in Motion before? How is that even possible?
                                                    I imagine that in Ireland at the time everyone was singing songs about Jackie Charlton...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X