No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope everyone on here also managed to get their 3-in-10 for the Kaiser Chiefs. (I had I Predict A Riot, Oh My God, Ruby)

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

Are you telling me that Jive Bunny was number 1, replaced by Ride on Time, then another Jive Bunny song replaces it (I know they had 3 number 1s)!!!
    Yes, Jive Bunny and Black Box were the only artists to top the charts through August / September / October 1989. The good old days eh? Be interesting to see how the BBC handles the third Jive Bunny number one, it's their Christmas ditty and it's got a big chunk of Gary Glitter in it.

Comment

They'll abridge it - or hopefully ignore it completely. I think it was only top for a week.

(I had I Predict a Riot, Ruby and Everyday I Love You Less and Less for the Kaisers. And Oh My God for good measure. That virtual DAB radio sits proudly among all the others on my imaginary mantelpiece.)

Comment

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt I'd have been selecting three from those four tracks too.

I like the idea of you having an immensely long virtual mantelpiece Jah, stacked with simply hundreds of imaginary DAB radios 'won' on Popmaster together with sundry MP3 players, 'One Year Out' T-shirts and perhaps some of the mysterious 'flipper radios' they used to have as prizes not so long ago.

Comment

What's a 'flipper' radio? One that tells you of an impending disaster at sea via a series of vocal clicks?

Yep, the imaginary 'piece is virtually groaning after all these years. On a fair few occasions, I've managed the 'double-39' - but there are too many questions about post-millennium pop to make it a regular occurrence.

Comment

Jive Bunny were only the fourth act to get their first three singles to Number 1

http://ukcharts.20m.com/number1.html#first3

Comment

Probably only the third, given that George Michael's third number one was a duet - and he'd already had a number of non-chart-topping records with Wham.

(The unlikely B*witched were the first act to take their first four singles to the top.)

Comment

Yes, I thought they were the third, after Gerry & the Pacemakers and Frankie Goes To Hollywood...? I can see there's a case for including George, but taking into account his prior chart career with Wham he's usually ruled out.

Comment

Yiiiikes, this thread is full of spoilers for the rest of 1989.

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                  I refuse to look up the charts from that time, because I quite like watching them as new
                  Same here.

Comment

I mean, some might call it 'spoilers', yes. Others might consider it fair warning.

Comment

Regardless of the (undeniably wretched) quality of what is to befall - do we really speak in terms of 'spoilers' when dealing with factual/cultural occurrences from three decades back?

Comment

I think we can, yes. I'd still consider myself to be avoiding 'spoilers' for what happens in Twin Peaks, for example.

Comment

Oh, I totally wasn't thinking of anything fictional or scripted. I mean, obviously those remain sacred.

To me, records reaching number one in 1989 is basically (old) 'news' and represents hard fact. That info has been out there and available since the time - hence I struggle to see giving anything away now as posting a 'spoiler'.

Comment

I'm not being inspired to dip back in...

Comment

Your instincts are sound, GO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                Oh, I totally wasn't thinking of anything fictional or scripted. I mean, obviously those remain sacred.

To me, records reaching number one in 1989 is basically (old) 'news' and represents hard fact. That info has been out there and available since the time - hence I struggle to see giving anything away now as posting a 'spoiler'.
                                Oh I wasn't being entirely serious about the spoiler situation. I'd hate to interrupt all the hot Jive Bunny chat in this thread.

Comment

It's a worthwhile question to ask why Jive Bunny had that string of chart-toppers. The chart seems to have been ruled by pre-teen purchases from around Kylie's first No. 1, and the Bunny is the height of that I think.

Comment

I’m not 100% sure ‘ver kids’ were especially buying Jive Bunny, were they? I mean, I can’t imagine Swing the Mood having a huge catchment among your teenies. (I saw it as selling to much the same audience as bought all those ghastly Hooked on Classics-type medleys several years before.)

Maybe I’m wrong.

Comment

What are you looking at me for? I didn’t buy two of those three singles and I didn’t buy the album on tape as an eight year old. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME FOR?

Comment

It's ok Giggler - the following year I got my first two ever record singles as well, "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" by Bombalurina and "Turtle Power" by Partners in Kryme....I was 5 at the time is my only defence.

Comment

Hmm, a far cry from my first pop favourite - which was Hole in My Shoe by Traffic. (Still a classic though, you'll note.)

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                          Oh I wasn't being entirely serious about the spoiler situation. I'd hate to interrupt all the hot Jive Bunny chat in this thread.
                                          I thought perhaps that might be the case. And, yeah, references to the Bunny on this forum are breeding like...God knows what.

Comment

Not having been subjected to it for thirty odd years, I had forgotten just how crude both the mix and the 'animation' were on that first Jive Bunny single. Do the production values improve at all across the run?

Comment

I think that the entire project start-to-finish was pretty low-rent, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                                and I didn't buy the album on tape as an eight year old.
                                                Still got mine. Though I draw the line at buying the singles.

(Had to go searching in the loft for this. Don't have the means to play the thing on these days, and probably haven't listened to it since 1990)

Comment

I've never taken LSD but I reckon that's as close to an acid flashback as I'm ever likely to have. I have no understanding whatsoever of what I saw in the entire project.

Is there some kind of blurb on the inlay along the lines of 'Making music is all I wanted to do' that ends in 'Let's party'? I remember being at my mate Daz's house, putting it on and thinking we were having a party by sole virtue of the tape playing.

Comment

Yes. (Brace yourself)

A MESSAGE FROM JIVE BUNNY.
                                                    Making music for all my friends is all I want to do.
                                                    Music that's fun for one and all including friends like you.
                                                    Thanks for buying my record.
                                                    Now come on everybody let's party.

There's also details of the fan club (P.O. Box 136 Watford Herts WD2 4ND) and for all enquiries regarding merchandising write to: Big Wave Management Limited, P.O.Box 888, London, SW17 0BB.
                                                    Last edited by longeared; 11-06-2020, 13:11.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X