Mrs Brown's Boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs Brown's Boys

Perhaps the whole thing is a postmodern joke.
    Oh dear god. Brendan O'Carroll probably couldn't spell postmodern.

Comment

Mrs Brown's Boys

brendan o'carroll has refused to appear on RTE's evening news to discuss his BAFTA nomination for mrs brown's boys - he's embittered by the begrudgery he has suffered at every turn in his native land.

Comment

Mrs Brown's Boys

Holy fucking shit, I'm being forced to sit through the Christmas special of this tonight. It's like something you'd expect to see on ITV in the mid-1980s starring Russ Abbott. It's fucking dire.

Comment

Mrs Brown's Boys

There's a Christmas carol singalong in this? I think I was just a little bit sick in my mouth.

Comment

Mrs Brown's Boys

I'd never seen this before, but your post prompted me to turn on the TV to catch the last few minutes.

There's a second series of this on the way? It's like an Irish Hinge & Brackett written by an idiot with Tourette's Syndrome.

I had an (obviously incorrect) idea that RTE was above this.

Comment

Mrs Brown's Boys

RTE is to comedy what Jeffrey Archer is to novels.

Comment

"We thought it was part of the show"

This is your act, O'Carroll, and this is your target demographic

Brawl erupts at Glasgow Hydro

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/i...-tour-27395110

Comment

…and the fact that (at least) one of the brawling protagonists was allowed back in kind of confirms it.

Comment

It literally is his target demographic. The whole thing is just the televising of a stage show bringing back the 70's, that was hugely popular among the irish community in glasgow. That's why it's mostly done by BBC Scotland, in scotland.

Comment

The head of BBC Scotland comedy saw a packed show at the Pavilion theatre in Glasgow (shitey equivalent to the shitey Gaiety in Dublin) and saw pound signs float before his eyes. Which is why it's made on Pacific Quay and not Montrose. This is the same head of comedy that didn't commission any more limmy, the cunt.

also it's not just the Irish community in Scotland (which I'm not convinced really exists anymore as a monolith 3 generations and more from folk moving from Ireland to Scotland in any great numbers/mixed marriages) who lap this up, this is very similar to pawky Scottish pish.
                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 05-07-2022, 15:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        also it's not just the Irish community in Scotland who lap this up, this is very similar to pawky Scottish pish.
                        I'd say it's very hard to tell where one ends and the other one begins. On the other hand It's not very irish specific really, it's mostly all about the 60's and 70's retro nature of the whole thing.

Comment

I saw Brendan O'Carroll live in my local in the early 90's. In fairness to him, he was good at the interaction with the audience, and some of his jokes were funny, but he shamelessly " borrowed" whole sections of Billy Connolly's and Ben Elton's shows, the latter which I'd been at only a couple of weeks previously.

Comment

When coming across Agnes Brown one night on Rte, a piece of hackneyed rare aul' times whimsy with a terrible accent from Angelica Houston gave way to horrified recognition. As the jokes became broader and the grotesquerie of the denouement played out (The Tom Jones cameo playing himself of 30 years earlier is hellish) it became one of the worst Irish films of the modern era. And it's high art compared to the sitcom.

Comment

Working...
                            X