The logic of (non-)repeats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure we've all wondered this at some point, but does anyone here have a 'real' answer for this eternal question:

How come some shitty shows get repeated ad infinitum (on various channels) and yet other shows that were utter gold never seem to see the light of day again after their initial airing?

I'm reminded of this because I just remembered 'People Like Us' and the classic lines...

Woman: "What happened to your jacket?"

Roy Mallard: "I, errr, dropped some acid earlier."

Woman: "Oh! Well, I hope it was worth it!"

...and now I can't stop chuckling to myself.

I'd love to see that whole series again, but I've never seen it repeated anywhere. The same goes for (the very similar) 'This Is David Lander' - possibly the best thing Stephen Fry has ever done.

The reason that "People Like Us" is never repeated is probably that Chris Langham got into a bit of trouble not long ago.

Comment

You could always buy (good) or download (naughty) it

Comment

Nigelwyn wrote:
        The reason that "People Like Us" is never repeated is probably that Chris Langham got into a bit of trouble not long ago.
        Okay - maybe an awkward example. But - with repeats in general - I just wondered if there were any people here who might have worked in television and been in a position to give an insight into what 'driving forces' there were towards repeats (or not) of shows. From the outside the process just seems completely arbitrary sometimes.

Comment

Channel 4 have been pretty good at putting a lot of their old stuff on their 4OD service. I recently discovered that they'd put all of Alan Bleasdale's G.B.H. up. It's possible that something like This is David Lander may end up on there.

Comment

That's a good idea, DSS - I'll have to have a trawl.

I'm still getting used to other channels having their own iplayer-lite thingies.

(edit: Result!)

Comment

Sometimes you do get the odd gem repeated on a cable channel. The drawback? They play it at fucking midnight, or some other outlandishly late time.

Comment

And they shove in advert breaks where previously there were none...

Comment

Working...
                X