US version of Shameless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US version of Shameless

Showing on the movie channel on canadian cable TV.

Basically, shifted to location in US, almost the same script as UK version (even kept the same character names) possibly a bit less nudity and swearing.

Not sure about the casting of William H Macey as Frank Gallagher tho, or whether North America will "get it".

US version of Shameless

The British version airs on Sundance channel in the US. I had watched for about a year or 2 and then it got a bit too repetitive, which seems to be the problem with most TV shows. When I first saw the ads for the US version on Showtime, I thought it was a bit ridiculous to remake a show that basically airs on one cable channel so it can air on another cable channel, but I have enjoyed watching the first two episodes. As M_L_M notes, most are just shot-by-shot remakes of the original, although setting it in Chicago has given me a touch more of a reason to watch. Anyway, I would say that so far it's good--the casting has been good and William H Macy has done a good job. I can't see watching it for more than a season, since I assume my waning interest in the original version will play out with this one as well. Thankfully, The Wire keeps running on DirecTV 101--the only recent show that understood how to mix up the plot lines.

Comment

US version of Shameless

I'll reply to my own message a year+ later. I have really enjoyed this show. I stopped watching the British version after season 2 other than an episode here and there, so I don't know how it progressed but it seems to me that the US version is standing on its own two legs now. Moreover, the last two episodes of this season featured a depth of storytelling that we hadn't seen because most of the heavier issues have been couched in humor. I don't know if others have been watching. If not, rent the DVDs.

Comment

US version of Shameless

Never having seen the British original, I enjoy the US Shameless very much. Macy is quite excellent, I think.

I love the introductions to the recap of the previous show ("I'm raising five children on my own. What's your excuse?").

Comment

US version of Shameless

Anyone stuck with this show? I noted above that the English version couldn't hold my interest after 2 seasons. This one has been mostly hit with a few misses, but I have to say that last night's episode (I think called "Emily") was really well written and acted. I will avoid spoilers but just say that there seemed to be a much better balance between chaos and sweetness. And there were some scenes in the hospital toward the end of the episode (again, dancing around spoilers) that were really great.

Comment

US version of Shameless

I've stuck with it, though if it were to disappear, there'd be no huge void in my life.

Re-reading the OP, does the UK version really have more nudity? It's like poor Emily Rossum doesn't own any clothes...

Comment

US version of Shameless

G-Man wrote: I've stuck with it, though if it were to disappear, there'd be no huge void in my life.

Re-reading the OP, does the UK version really have more nudity? It's like poor Emily Rossum doesn't own any clothes...
              I can't remember any nudity in the English version, but I stopped after season 2. Also, perhaps Sundance edited the show for US broadcast, but that wouldn't make any sense since it's a channel dedicated to art films and indie films. This US version does seem to like the nudity, although the show seems to be equal opportunity on that front.

I have a hard time thinking of any shows that would leave a hole in my viewing life. This is probably one of the shows I enjoy more than others but that's not saying much. This is why I spend about 90% of my TV time watching sports.

Comment

Working...
              X