The Phil Silvers Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Phil Silvers Show

In case anyone's interested, the complete Phil Silvers Show is available for eBay for £9 (plus £1 p&p). My dad and my uncle both got this for Xmas and said the quality was surprisingly decent.

It's out of copyright according to the seller.

The Phil Silvers Show

Just done it! Got some Bilko in various places but nice to have the whole lot. Thanks for the heads up. I shall now do some moderate exercise followed by a veggie fry up to celebrate . . .

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

In my opinion, the finest TV comedy show of all time.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

Indeed. Genuine comedy gold, whether your name is Jerry or not.

And proof that my homeland can produce comedians that you lot find funny.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

I don't think we need proof of that. What we do need is proof that your homeland could produce comedians that us lot find funny now. And Phil Silvers is just that proof. (Whereas I Love Lucy, for example, is the proof that some people in the past in America could laugh at any old shit)

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

I remember watching one episode — recorded live, of course — featuring a scene with a monkey. Silvers had to ad lib around whatever the monkey was doing, in addition to delivering his lines. Amazing stuff.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

The practice of drinking hard liquor before dinner helped that a lot.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                I remember watching one episode — recorded live, of course — featuring a scene with a monkey.
                A chimpanzee. The great Harry Speakup episode.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

Was every single episode recorded live, or just the earlier ones?

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

Just the earlier ones. The later ones were taped and then played to a live audience, from whence the laugh track came.

My native parochialism compels me to note that they were all done in New York, which was contrary to received wisdom at the time.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

Surely it wouldn't legally be out of copyright (22 is the cutoff date in the US, isn't it?). Maybe whoever originally owned the copyright has abandoned it/gone bust. I can't remember what channel it was on originally.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

I've got the full set of Car 54 Where Are You?, which - every now and then - I reckon is even better than Bilko.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

It was on CBS, but you are forgiven since it went off the air years before you were born.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

My mother and I used to duet on the theme song to Car 54, Where Are You.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

I never really got into this, but our dad loved it and his birthday is coming up, so I’ve made my order. Cheers Stumpy – and who knows, I may try and appreciate Silvers for more than “Carry On Follow That Camel” once he’s finished with them.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                Surely it wouldn't legally be out of copyright (22 is the cutoff date in the US, isn't it?). Maybe whoever originally owned the copyright has abandoned it/gone bust. I can't remember what channel it was on originally.
                                Maybe best not to ask too many questions. Like the late 70s Bolton shirt I bought off that Thai eBay seller, which – although rather nice – was definitely not club-approved.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

If not the greatest sitcom of all time, certainly the most enduring. Few televisual joys to match that of the military brass striking up and Silvers barking "Platooon!!!" in a surprise bit of scheduling on a so so BBC2 weekday evening circa 11.15. Wonder when it was last on telly?

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

Lived on reruns of Bilko and The Honeymooners as a kid. Pure class.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

I had a Sgt Bilko board game when I was a kid. Can't for the life of me remember anything about it apart from the lid.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

Are you breaking into song there?

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

The first series has just been given an official release here in the UK (middle of last year) so I don't think it's gone out of copyright.

All excellent stuff though - got it for Christmas, only watched 3/4 episodes so far but the noticeable thing is that Doberman doesn't feature in the early shows. At what point does he make his entrance?

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

Doberman appears in the very first episode.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

I got this a few months back but have yet to watch any of it.

When Silvers died bbc2 said they were gonna show every episode in order. Lasted about 16 weeks iirc. Id bought in extra vhs tapes especially.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

wingco wrote:
                                                Doberman appears in the very first episode.
                                                Must stop watching stuff while drinking tequila.

Comment

The Phil Silvers Show

It's alright, but it's no Top Cat.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X