X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'What the Papers Say' cancelled by BBC

Idiots.

It was always a curiosity that it was an ITV show that didn't broadcast on its home channel. I would have thought that there would have been no problem finding a new home for (what must surely be) a very cheap to produce television programme that is part of the landscape of British TV.

Comment

Hearing about it is a shame, but I have to say I thought it had gone 5 years ago.

Comment

That'll be the "eccentric" scheduling. Hunting around for it was like the BBc's treatment of 'Seinfeld'.

Comment

What does "consuming the news" mean? Twat.

Comment

It comes as no real shock. Another thought provoking programme is consigned to TV history while its nearest contemporary in Panorama continues to thrive and survive in a climate of tabloid journalism.

In a way it is surprising that What The Papers Say lasted so long, seeing as it took a satirical approach with a format that remained unchanged for over 50 years. I did cringe at some of the voiceovers though, and seeing Ann Leslie looking directly at camera was enough to make me hide behind the sofa.

It may be a coincidence that the BBC decided to knock it on the head as it felt slightly less justified in broadcasting a programme that mocked the press when its own standards of journalism have continued to deteriorate. I guess ITV felt the same way when it decided to stop broadcasting WTPS some 20 odd years ago (although I’ve absolutely no recollection of it being on C4 – furthermore WTPS would slot in perfectly in the gap after the Channel 4 news and before the latest offering from Kirsty & Phil, Kim & Aggie or whatever).

Either way, it speaks volumes that in a 24/7 media world that there is no room in the schedules for a ten minute weekly programme that can still entertain and inform.

Comment

Working...
            X