Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Died aged 64. (edit - from cancer apparently)
    One of Britain's best current actors in my opinion, particularly liked him in Brassed Off, British tragi-comedy at it's best.

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Sad. He was utterly fantastic.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

He was nearly utterly fantastic - The Usual Suspects is a blot on his record.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Yes - Brassed Off and In the Name of the Father ... he jerked tears from me in both.

RIP

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

He was nearly utterly fantastic - The Usual Suspects is a blot on his record.]
          ok, I will bite

are you f*****g crazy?

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Not at all. Postlethwaite's Ogdenistan accent in that is - to invoke another example of the bad onscreen accent - something quite atrocious.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Brassed Off would have been cliched without Postlethwaite, who commanded every scene he was in and got the best out of Stephen Tomkinson, who proved he can act when he gets the chance.

My personal favourite is a rarely seen and comparatively overlooked Bleasdale contribution to Play For Today called The Muscle Market as the boss of a building firm going tits up. The intensity and sense of desperation that Postlethwaite conveyed, mixed in with some moments of genuine Bleasdale black humour, made his demise seem all too real.

Sad news, it goes without saying. May he rest in peace.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Warrington born and bred; in my time here I've come across some real civic pride concerning Postlethwaite's career and reputation.

Terrific actor, RIP.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

He went to my (and Carcass's) old school, you know.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

When I first saw this thread title, all I was going to post was
                    FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

As it stands, after a few hours, all I can muster is a FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK !!!!!!!

Awesome, awesome specimen. Thank you Pete. We were blessed.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

I saw him in a solo show at the Bristol Old Vic, playing Scaramouche Jones a few years ago, and he was just brilliant. It wasn't a short play by any means, but he had the audience eating right out of the palm of his hand the entire way through.

RIP.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

A genuine shock and a huge shame (I didn't know about his long illness). He had the best gig - excelling as a supporting actor and drawing attention away from leads who sometimes weren't up to his standard.

RIP.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Ther was a report on him on the local news yesterday (he lived in Shropshire) that mentioned his support for his local village shop when it was under threat of closure, he stood outside with other villagers trying to generate support, and he also used to visit his daughters school to talk to the drama classes and offer advice. This was all done because he wanted to do it, and wanted to be part of his community. I can't think of many big stars who were prepared, never mind enjoyed, mixing with and taking part in their community life.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Well, from personal experience, there's Arabella Weir. Not sure if she counts for you as a big star. (Does her stardom look big in this?)

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

He was amazing in Distant Voices, Still Lives.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

He will always be Mr kobayasdhi to me.

A great actor in what is probably my favourite film of all time.
                                How that film never swept the Oscars still confuses me today.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Gabriel Byrne ruined that film. And it was badly shot I thought, in a kind of made for TV way.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

That he was only 64 came as a shock to me - he already looked about 64 when he was in Sharpe.

Great actor.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Ek weet nie wrote:
                                      He was amazing in Distant Voices, Still Lives.
                                      That is the film for which he should probably be remembered.

I don't want to go on about this, because I think it's been said often enough - though sometimes in quite negative or smug ways - but I think we sometimes forget just how blessed we are, or have been, with acting talent in this country.

You use the phrase "greatest British actors" and people instantly have the names Gielgud, Olivier and Richardson flash into their minds. But it says something about the sheer depth of the talent we have (or had) that such people as Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Pete Postlethwaite, Bill Nighy, Brian Cox, Geoffrey Rush and even ex-'local thesp' Tom Bell (to name but a tiny few) are pretty much considered to be 'second tier', when nearly all of them can/could effortlessly outperform even the best the whole Hollywood system has to offer on any given day. It's quite remarkable. I just do hope that those generations of actors aren't the last that will provide us with such a high standard of acting. I'm just struggling to see any young rivals for them, you see.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

[whisper] Geoffrey Rush is Australian. [/whisper]

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

[shouts in Eric Idle's voice]GEOFFREY RUSH IS AN AUSSIE, YOU POMMIE B*STARD!!!![stops shouting in Eric Idle's voice]

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Oh bugger!

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Damn, evilc: everything else in your post was absolutely spot on.

(Apart from the younger actors thing, and Tom Hardy (33), who is, I think, the best* we have.)

*to my knowledge/opinion

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite RIP

Amen, evil C.

Comment

Working...
                                                X