The Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Trip

The first clip (that I'm aware of) from the imminent 'The Trip to Spain'.

Comment

The Trip

Guff Daddy wrote: Bored of Education wrote:
      ...it was beautifully played by the parents.
      Does anyone know - are they actually Coogan's parents?
      As you can see 2m into this, the gentleman in The Trip could never be as Steve Coogan as Steve Coogan's dad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhAvotfRACw

Comment

The Trip

Starts in a couple of days. I'd forgotten this was only on Sky Atlantic. Bugger.

Comment

The Trip

I might have said this before but this entire thread is like the "Those we have lost" montage at the Oscars.

10pm tonight, for people who do have Sky Atlantic.

Comment

In case anyone's missed the publicity - the fourth and final series 'The Trip To Greece' starts on Sky One. I'm not sure if Sky One is more accessible than Sky Atlantic, the switch away from the BBC certainly cost the third series a lot of viewers and profile - as evinced by the lack of comment on this thread about it.

A friend saw the movie length edit at a recent Q&A with Winterbottom, Coogan and Brydon and said, in that format at least, it was back on form after 'Spain' which was a little patchy.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-02-2020, 12:01.

Comment

Good that they've had the sense to move it to Sky One, which is indeed more accessible - ie, I and all other Virgin Media customers have it, as opposed to Sky Atlantic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                Good that they've had the sense to move it to Sky One, which is indeed more accessible - ie, I and all other Virgin Media customers have it,
                Sky One isn't included in the basic TV package that we have. It's currently called the 'Big Bundle' despite being the smallest bundle, adopting a boosterish approach similar to fast food menus or the naming of lower divisions in football.

Comment

Ah, assumed that Sky One was everywhere in subscription packages.

Comment

We get something called Pick, which is like a Sky equivalent of ITV3. I think the idea is that you watch it, decide that you can't bear to wait two years for the latest episodes of Hawaii Five-0 and upgrade.

Comment

I've no idea what Sky package we have but whatever it's called we're paying way too much for what we get.

Comment

IFC have the US rights. I'm not sure if that would require an extra sub on what we already pay to Comcast.

Comment

Pick is on Freeview, or was the last time I looked, isn't it? Around channel #11 or somesuch, unless I'm going bonkers.

Comment

Sky One is on NowTV, along with Sky Atlantic and the new Sky Comedy, where it seems they're now putting all the HBO comedies. Much, much cheaper than a Sky TV package.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                              Pick is on Freeview, or was the last time I looked, isn't it? Around channel #11 or somesuch, unless I'm going bonkers.
                              I expect so. We've got Virgin because they are the sole provider through the cable network. The entry level TV offering, which is a fairly marginal cost on top of broadband and phone, is pretty much the same as Freeview give or take a few channels. I've no idea how the service compares for value overall with other options; we switched about ten years ago because BT were spectacularly poor at providing the basics of being able to communicate with the outside world. We're probably being completely bilked.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

I expect so. We've got Virgin because they are the sole provider through the cable network. The entry level TV offering, which is a fairly marginal cost on top of broadband and phone, is pretty much the same as Freeview give or take a few channels. I've no idea how the service compares for value overall with other options; we switched about ten years ago because BT were spectacularly poor at providing the basics of being able to communicate with the outside world. We're probably being completely bilked.

Mrs. NS is in change of the household TV, telecommunications and internet provision, (I get mortgage, council tax, garden waste collection, water, electricity, gas, insurance, TV licence and one or two others, so it's fairly 50/50 ). Anyway, she's not happy about how much she's paying so we had a look at the elements of the Sky package and suffice to say that I can see a lot of room for manoeuvre in terms of trimming it!

Comment

My dad switched from Sky to just having Freeview a couple of years ago but when he called to notify them was offered various inducements and improvements not to leave so that could be worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    My dad switched from Sky to just having Freeview a couple of years ago but when he called to notify them was offered various inducements and improvements not to leave so that could be worth a try.

Oh yes, I said to my wife that we'll come to a firm conclusion as to what we want to lose or amend, how much the best competitor charges and then compare that to what Sky offer us when we call to cancel, (reduced price on a long contract would be my wild guess).

Comment

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime whatever it's called, and don't need owt else that you have to pay for.

Comment

I'm only regretting not having Now TV in respect of Succession and that televangelist thing with John Goodman. Only paying for Netflix and amazon here (tho my flatlord/landmate does dodgy box as well, which was handy for the likes of Chernobyl).

Comment

It's definitely the one I'd drop if I were to drop one, but over the years it's given me Game of Thrones, Atlanta, Bob's Burgers, Legion, Succession, The Deuce, that Scientology documentary, Camping, Chernobyl, Babylon Berlin and now The Righteous Gemstones, so I think it's worth it.

Comment

So, did anyone actually watch this then?

I thought it was good, well up to the standards of the previous ones. Mick Jagger, now in a care home, got another welcome airing and Keef put in an appearance, his wheezy laugh "like Muttley's dying breath" according to Brydon.

But I still find the format, or really just the scripted interludes with the family and others, deeply odd. I presume that a straight travelogue with comedic interplay seemed too formulaic or something, but the alternative that they devised is just weird.

I could probably live without the endless food preparation shots too.

Anyway, Greece looks lovely, the food mouthwatering and there's a lot of laughs.

Comment

I watched the first two episodes last night and laughed my head off. It seems to be back on fantastic form.

Comment

Seen all of the current series now. It ploughs a very similar furrow to what’s gone before, but I guess that’s the idea.

There are always laughs to be had via the banter and quite a bit of warmth throughout. No spoilers, but the dramatised sections seem to take on a more significant edge this series. Whether this works or not, I’m still undecided.

Comment

Working...
                                                X