The Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Trip

Is anyone else watching it? The opener was very good but I just watched the second episode and was near choking with laughter at times.

On paper, it's nothing more than Coogan & Brydon bickering and warring with impersonation techniques as their weaponry but it is just a fantastic and surprisingly warm show.

The Trip

I thought this was going to be about the Roger Corman-directed and Jack Nicholson-scripted 1967 exploitation movie.

Comment

The Trip

Yeah me too. Great soundtrack by The Electric Flag.

Comment

The Trip

I saw the first episode and I'll have to catch up on the second. It's quietly likeable stuff and I must admit I have to work a little harder to appreciate slow-burn comedy, as the latter is best appreciated if expectations (those that usually demands laughs from the outset - I'm guilty of that) are attuned to the casual tempo of calmly-paced character stuff.

And Brydon pisses all over Coogan's impersonations. That Michael Caine turn was balls-on accurate. Not so his Al Pacino, to be fair.

Comment

The Trip

My overwhelming reaction to watching it is hunger.

I enjoy watching them riff and do impressions, but by the looks of things it is going to be six episodes of it, which may wear a bit thin. I did enjoy the Richard Gere impersonation though.

Comment

The Trip

Yeah, I've absolutely loved this so far. Brilliant stuff.

Comment

The Trip

robw wrote:
              My overwhelming reaction to watching it is hunger.
              That's presumably what the participating restaurants are counting on.

I thought last week's restaurant looked a bit meh, but that this week's, L'Enclume, was well weird, but probably in a good way, taste-wise. I looked online, and they only do taster menus, and there's a choice of three, at Ł80, Ł80 and Ł65. Which is actually kind of special-occasion-doable, I guess.

Comment

The Trip

(Though it'd have to be a pretty special occasion.)

Comment

The Trip

The most tortuous thing that telly can do to you (amongst other things) is to screen plates of wonderful food at those times when not just when you're hungry, but at those inappropriate times (ie., late in the evening) when perhaps stuffing your face wouldn't quite be the most healthy thing to do. Or your fridge is inadequately stocked.

Whatever. When telly does that to you, it's both irresistable and a trial.

Comment

The Trip

Yes, I was lucky last night in that without planning to I watched the second episode after returning from a very satisfying meal at one of my favourite restaurants ever otherwise I would really have been salivating at some of the food.

As it was I instantly craved their canapes and desserts.

Comment

The Trip

I love this, too. It's kind of inconsequential, but just... enjoyable. Purely enjoyable.

And Coogan's impression of Ray Winstone was pleasingly reminiscent of this:

Comment

The Trip

It's certainly inconsequential.

I have to say I found it more irritating than anything else. An example of having it both ways.

Comment

The Trip

I'm really glad that (nearly) everyone here thinks it's as bloody excellent as I do. I was completely prepared to find a thread full of moaning bastards picking it to pieces.

I've laughed not only bigger laughs than I've laughed at any other show this year, but also a different kind of laughs. Natural, unexpected ones, which are the best kind (as opposed to the laugh you laugh when there's a really obvious set-up and you know the gag's coming). Sometimes it's a kind of delayed-reaction laugh, because it was so unexpected.

It's a lovely feeling.

Comment

The Trip

I still really want a duck fat lollipop with peanuts.

Comment

The Trip

Is it basically the same as that Tristram Shandy film they did? I really enjoyed that.

Comment

The Trip

Amazing. Beautiful. Brydon's phonecall to his "wife" was perfectly played.

Comment

The Trip

Fans please explain to me why this inconsequential "stars go foodie" indulgence is any different from a more contrived than usual chatshow? Except it went on longer.

I found it unfunny obvious self-indulgent and covered a multitude of sins with a knowing wink to the camera?

But I'm aware I'm alone in this view.

Comment

The Trip

Nefertiti2 wrote:
                                    Fans please explain to me why this inconsequential "stars go foodie" indulgence is any different from a more contrived than usual chatshow? Except it went on longer.

I found it unfunny obvious self-indulgent and covered a multitude of sins with a knowing wink to the camera?

But I'm aware I'm alone in this view.
                                    No you're not.

I think it's a brilliant piece of chutzpah on Coogan and Brydon's part to get the BBC to pay for a 3 hour showreel for them to show off on whilst also traveling the Lake District eating in top restaurants, good work if you can get it.

Comment

The Trip

I caught the repeat of episode 2 while waiting for MOTD2 last night, and it took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on - and when I finally did, I was not impressed. My opinion of Steve Coogan's been pretty low for as long as I can remember, but christ Rob Brydon's much, much better than this.

And if these two want to fuck about practising their impressions, they can do a podcast costing a few quid rather than wasting the Beeb's ever-dwindling budget on this.

Comment

The Trip

I liked it. Brydon is the better impressionist, but Coogan has the funnier lines.

Not much BBC comedy makes me laugh these days, but this does.

Comment

The Trip

We can be chummy... without the bum. Bumless chums.

Comment

The Trip

This is absolutely brilliant, in a different league to any other TV comedy on at the moment (although I loved that Psychoville special too). If you don't enjoy it, fine, but I don't think the criticisms upthread hold: it's no more an egotistical puff piece than Curb Your Enthusiasm - Coogan comes across as pathetic, Brydon a likeable gimp - and it couldn't have cost much to make (as if that matters anyway).

Comment

The Trip

Just caught up with the second episode and am really enjoying this.

It's real testament to the two leads how they hold this together for 25 minutes when there's no real plot, no movement once they get into the restaurant and no other side characters of any distinction as an offset.

Comment

The Trip

That is indeed impressive, but the programme itself not so much that I absolutely want to see it again.

I am rather put off by the scripted and acted bits. If would be more satisfying if it was just Coogan and Bryden riffing off one another, with perhaps some surreal shit filmed documentary-style, so it wouldn't look like it's scripted.

Comment

The Trip

I like it, as LL suggested it’s the “Tristram Shandy” relationship over a series and the impressions tickle my deliberately bad impressions you do with your mates funny bone.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X