Armstrong and Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armstrong and Miller

First episode of the new series tonight. Funniest 30 minutes of sketch show I've seen in ages.
    Catch it on iplayer if you can, if for no other reason than the Farmers Market song and the war veterans at dinner. Great, well crafted, knowingly laboriously set-up jokes with excellent denouments.

Armstrong and Miller

Their series of WWII flyboy stuff is some of the funniest comedy I've seen. The coup de grace is on one of those Comic Relief charity things where they get SIr Geoffrey Palmer involved. Utterly brilliant.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

It's the funniest sketch show on TV at the moment, better than Mitchell and Webb, and a million times better than Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Right, I am going to watch this RIGHT NOW.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

'Farmers Market' song is so wrong, that its absolutely nailed, with the inclusion of the necessary 'lyrically mentioned person'. Brilliant.

(Previously, one laugh, one guffaw, and 6 clever wry smiles... havent finished yet)

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Any link to this with subtitles, as I am going rapidly deaf?

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Holmes and Watson sketch, NAILED what I was thinking when I first read it, them.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

The ancient warvets thing was brilliant

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Strangely, the longer sketches work much better than they ever did. Good stuff. I tried to ignore this, previously, mainly because my recorder was full up, but I suspect that I am also going to make an old man, very happy.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Bugger, missed it, but it'll be on iPlayer, so I'll have a gander.

For my money, A&M are up there with the best and display real quality in the acting and writing of their sketches - Miller's psychologically-crumbling holiday Brummie is sometimes uncomfortable to watch - but if I do have a complaint (just a small one), it's the repetitive nature of their sketches where the same characters pop up every week. There's no variation and this can feel a bit tiresome if it's done again and again. The cavemen sketches in the last series, for example, were ones that I could've done without.

But it's a minor quibble, because it's all done with sharp and intelligent brio, and, besides, the Flanders and Swann pisstakes are my favourites.

Just saying, like.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

I had tickets to go and see A&M in Ipswich this weekend. I booked them almost a year ago, was really excited about it, then some bloody very good friend announces they're getting married on that day. Bugger.

Still, at least there's the new series to enjoy. Saturday's was up to the usual standard, I thought. I particularly enjoyed the two war veterans, one English and one German, who put their historic differences behind them only to come to blows over... well, I don't wish to spoil it for anyone who's not seen it yet.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

A&M's is one of those shows that I love but I'm buggered if I can explain why. I think a lot of duos without their charm and style would fall flat with the same material.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                          Their series of WWII flyboy stuff is some of the funniest comedy I've seen. The coup de grace is on one of those Comic Relief charity things where they get SIr Geoffrey Palmer involved. Utterly brilliant.
                          Really? I've never seen that and I am obviously a massive fan of Palmer. Is it online anywhere?

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Harry: not aware of it being online anywhere, but I know the Geoffrey Palmer skit is on the DVD of Armstrong & Miller series 2.

Just caught up with S3E1 on iPlayer - cracking stuff for the most part, but I do agree that the cavemen need to be put quietly to sleep. A half-joke idea that's now been stretched to eight sketches over two series.

And yes, "Farmers Market" is a masterpiece.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

We were amazed at how much better this episode felt compared to both the last series and what else is on at the moment.

The vampires were very good as well, but the Farmers Market and the English/German sketches were brilliant.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                                Really? I've never seen that and I am obviously a massive fan of Palmer. Is it online anywhere?
                                Forgive me if this was too obvious a place to start looking, but yes it is.

I'll have to catch up with this when I get back to England... what time and channel is it being shown on, so I can ask my dad to record it?

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Ah, good linking Sam. "Almost poetic, you might say. If poetry weren't the last refuge of the bearded, cricket-hating sodomite."

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Sam, it's on BBC1 and BBC HD at 9.45 on Saturday nights.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                      It's the funniest sketch show on TV at the moment, better than Mitchell and Webb, and a million times better than Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse.
                                      Do all British sketch comedy shows have to be based on a duo?

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Not all. I'd highly recommend Big Train, which is an ensemble piece featuring (among others) Simon Pegg and Mark Heap.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

They are rather prevalent though. Always have been I think.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                                            Not all. I'd highly recommend Big Train, which is an ensemble piece featuring (among others) Simon Pegg and Mark Heap.
                                            Speaking of Heap, has it been mentioned how good he was in 'Single Father' or was the whole show too soppy for everyone?

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

hobbes wrote:
                                              Sam, it's on BBC1 and BBC HD at 9.45 on Saturday nights.
                                              Thanks very much!

And WOM, glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

I think it might be on at 9.30 this weekend. Its start time will probably fluctuate dependent upon how many people are left in Strictly.

It's in the prime slot before the news and the real comedy genius of Lineker & Lawro hits the screens.

Comment

Armstrong and Miller

I don't think the second one quite matched the opener but good stuff and this series does seem to promise their most consistent work to date. I always love the Brabbins and Fyffe songs and intros and the pay-off to this week's 'Burlesque' one, while obvious, was brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X