Louie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louie

I don't think this has been discussed on here before--Louie, comic Louis C.K.'s second TV show, this one running on FX. I was a big fan of Lucky Louie, which only lasted for one season on HBO. That show was a throwback to old three-camera sitcoms, the sets were really cheap, it was filmed before an audience, and it seemed like a self-conscious homage to The Hooneymooners, except with a lot more swearing. I thought it was unusual in that it was a comedy about a working class family struggling to pay the bills. It showed people working blue collar jobs, worrying if they would have enough money to have the lights on and feed their kids. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was different from everything else on TV at the time.

Now Louie is on FX, and it's nothing like his earlier show. It's a one-camera show made on a small budget, but the cinematography is outstanding. It's one of the best shot comedies I've seen. Except it really isn't a comedy. It's extremely funny, but there are parts that are sad, parts that are just awkward, scenes that are left to play out and may be funny, but also may not be. Each episode shows a little bit of Louis C.K.'s standup act, and the rest of the episode is related to it tangentially. Most are about him being divorced and having two kids, like in real life, and are about him being alone in his 40s. The tone of the episodes sometimes are wildly different. I'm 5 episodes into the first season (it was renewed, and Season 2 will be on next year), and the last episode I watched had some random absurd moments unlike any other episode, but it really worked.

Anyone else seen it?

Louie

I have only seen the scene in which they're playing poker and talking about the word "faggot." It looks very good, and I want to see more, so thank you for the reminder.

His stand-up (at least what I've seen) is excellent. The "time machine" bit and his "everything's amazing and nobody's happy" rant on Conan are very funny.

Comment

Louie

I saw a bit of the old show and thought it was like Roseanne, but good. Or, as you say, like The Honeymooners if Ralph had been allowed to swear as much as bus drivers in the 1950s probably actually did.

I've seen most of the episodes. Maybe all of them. I've lost track. They're available On Demand, but the regular time is 11 pm, so I haven't been keeping up weekly.

It's outstanding for all the reasons you mention. It's extremely funny and sometimes painful and sometimes both at the same time. Patton Oswalt says that Louis CK is the best comedian of the "current" generation and he's probably right.

This PTA meeting scene is the best.

"Who teaches math any more?"

Comment

Louie

Yes, that was a really good episode. I was happy to see the actress who was his wife in Lucky Louie in this show.

"I mean, school sucks...right?"

Comment

Louie

I just watched the "Bully" episode...wow. What a great show.

Comment

Working...
          X