Autumnwatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumnwatch

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to love this.

Wonderful shots of cutesy creatures in their natural habitats with a Sigur Ros soundtrack and boundless enthusiasm from the presenters.

Lovely.

Autumnwatch

Ah, now I've just seen footage of a robin being eaten by a squirrel on the post- watershed extras show.

That wasn't very cute.

Comment

Autumnwatch

I'll be watching this with a delay, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Comment

Autumnwatch

Nature red in tooth and claw.

Comment

Autumnwatch

It wasn't all that bad. It was a surprise to see a squirrel doing it, but you know, cats do that sort of thing all the time and get away with it. One of the things I like about Springwatch/Autumnwatch is that they don't shy away from subjects like that (see the examination of the peregrine falcon's stash that largely consisted of parakeets).

I never saw it when Bill Oddie was presenting it, but I think they've struck a really good match with the presenters now. Packham's great, playing up to his slightly creepy coprophile geek act: I particularly enjoyed him rubbing his legs while attempting to persuade Kate Humble to crumble up some woodpecker shit that he'd brought her - but it's always nice to see people on the television who really know what they're talking about.

Nobody can touch the BBC when it comes to this kind of thing - Blue Peter/Swap Shop for grown-ups.

And the starlings, eh? Weren't they lovely?

Comment

Autumnwatch

Packham's all right isn't he. Don't know if this was mentioned on here last year. I enjoyed it anyway.

Comment

Autumnwatch

Ha! That's excellent. Nice work Packham.

Comment

Anyone watching? Iolo banging on about the majestic white-tailed eagle in a Paramo smock is BAFTA deserving telly imho. Strachan is back, having missed Springwatch, and her enthusiasm, as ever, adds to the whole event.

Autumn is the best season, isn't it?
                Last edited by EIM; 29-10-2020, 22:33.

Comment

Big fan of spring meself, but I can see where you're coming from.

Comment

My God it's been ten years since I started this thread. That's gone quickly.

Comment

I'm with EIM, Autumn is the best.

We took the dog for a long walk through the woods earlier and found a fly agaric that had been half eaten by squirrels. I learnt that from Autumnwatch.

Comment

What is this?

Comment

Used to love Autumn but now it feels like pre-winter. I'm done with winter. So, now I'm all about summerwatch.

Comment

Autumn for me too - misty mornings, drifts of fallen leaves, woodsmoke, migrating geese in their tens of thousands.

Comment

Autumn is beautiful, the mist, the leaves, the sort of blanketing of everything. But I prefer spring, because autumn presages winter, and spring feels more positive and upbeat. And the shades of green and the flowers and the buds and the leaves are also spectacular

Comment

Autumn is definitely the second-best season, after winter. But it comes before winter, which makes it extra exciting.

What is this thing people are talking about? And who or what is lolo? I'm assuming Strachan isn't Gordon.

Comment

What the fuck. How can you not know what Autumnwatch is? Chris Packham, Michaela Strachan and the rest of the gang look at how the seasons affect British wildlife and its habitat. This year there's been seals pupping, deer rutting, badgers grooming, eagles soaring, mice contorting and prehistoric tadpole shrimp doing whatever the fuck they do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e354mb/live/c6b5d4

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    Autumn is definitely the second-best season, after winter. But it comes before winter, which makes it extra exciting.

What is this thing people are talking about? And who or what is lolo? I'm assuming Strachan isn't Gordon.
                                    There are Home Counties based Tory MPs with 50,000 majorities who are less out of touch than this.

Comment

Anyway, Spring is the best season by a country mile. New life innit? Trees blossoming, baby animals, what's not to love about that?

Comment

It's too green, it means the football season is almost at an end and then it'll be summer, which is mostly shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                          Anyway, Spring is the best season by a country mile. New life innit? Trees blossoming, baby animals, what's not to love about that?
                                          Seasonal allergies. Spring sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                            April is the cruellest month, breeding lilacs out of the dead land...(could have gone in the new poetry thread).

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                              What the fuck. How can you not know what Autumnwatch is? Chris Packham, Michaela Strachan and the rest of the gang look at how the seasons affect British wildlife and its habitat. This year there's been seals pupping, deer rutting, badgers grooming, eagles soaring, mice contorting and prehistoric tadpole shrimp doing whatever the fuck they do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e354mb/live/c6b5d4
                                              I see you can't explain "lolo". I rest my case.

(I've vaguely heard of it. Maybe I should try one or two.)

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

I see you can't explain "lolo". I rest my case.

(I've vaguely heard of it. Maybe I should try one or two.)
                                                Big Iolo Williams. Welsh for You Only Live Once. Loves birds, gentle voice. Able side-kick for Chris Packham during Strachan's enforced absence this year.

https://iolowilliams.co.uk/

Comment

Ah. It's an I not an l. I see.

Why was Strachan forced to be absent?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X