A Song of Ice & Fire on HBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    I find myself wondering How much of it is people being unhappy with the writing of the story, or how much of it is people being pissed off to realise that they've been rooting for a genocidal self-righteous mass murderer all along?
    Stop wondering. It's that people are unhappy with the writing of the story. After a long, long time getting used to good writing, we got two or three episodes of glaringly bad writing, bad pacing, and unrealistic character developments. That's it. That's all.

The stars of the show have even glommed on to the defense of "Well, no matter how it ended, people would have been unhappy." Nah, that's bullshit. The quality of storytelling took a precipitous cliff-dive right when it need to maintain its level....nothing more. Who died and who got the throne are neither here nor there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      They could have shown Arya and the Hound riding all the way down to the south and, along the way, her figuring out that she doesn't want her whole life to just be about revenge and murder. Instead, she figures that out in the Red Keep as its collapsing in a very short conversation.
      Yeah, but the hound doesn't think that there's anything remotely wrong with her plan or that she's in any real danger until the building starts to fall on them. she's a magical super assassin, who fed walter frey his sons, and killed the night king. And I don't know if it's him that convinces her, or the manic blood lust of Daenerys and the crumbling building. Also I don't know if more bran would have made it better. I've got to say the bits with him in them were super boring. Very long on magic, very short on boobs, stabbing or jokes.

Comment

"And I don't know if it's him that convinces her, or the manic blood lust of Daenerys and the crumbling building."

If you don't know, then the story hasn't been told very well. The scenes with her and the hound were some of the best in the series, so a few more of her learning from his mistakes would have been good for the series and the arc of both characters. Maybe she'd still be planning to kill Cersei up to that point and then finally decide it's not worth it, but the seeds of that transformation could have been planted and nurtured earlier.

He does think there's something wrong with her plan, insofar as it has a good chance to get her killed.

"Also I don't know if more bran would have made it better. I've got to say the bits with him in them were super boring. Very long on magic, very short on boobs, stabbing or jokes."

He is boring, but they didn't have to make him so boring.

Comment

The Bran actor is terrible. I've seen the battle for Winterfell episode and he makes Dany and posh boy Jon look like RSC gravitas. I'm not sure he can do anything but stare weirdly.

Not his fault obvs. And they give him a script of fuck all to work with.

Comment

He’s supposed to come off as distant and limited, but they could at least try to give him a chance to do more.

However, the actor said he’s going into neuroscience so maybe he knows his acting range is limited.

Comment

If you don't know, then the story hasn't been told very well. The scenes with her and the hound were some of the best in the series, so a few more of her learning from his mistakes would have been good for the series and the arc of both characters. Maybe she'd still be planning to kill Cersei up to that point and then finally decide it's not worth it, but the seeds of that transformation could have been planted and nurtured earlier.
              Heh, if an Irish person says to you "I don;t know if it is (what you said) or (Simpler thing said slightly for comic effect) it definitely doesn't mean that they don't know. It's an effort to convince you in an agreeable way to hold an alternative viewpoint, while not making it a pissing contest. also watch out for "I will, yeah," which is "a hard no, and I'm annoyed you asked me". or "Is that so?" which is not to be taken as a sign that you have just enlightened someone about something.

See I reckon that It would be weird for the Hound to talk arya out of seeking revenge because revenge is a bad idea. Firstly caring about What other people want to do is not really his thing. Secondly He doesn't think it's a bad idea per se. The only difference between him and arya when they set out is that he's kind of expecting and probably hoping to die and isn't sure that he'll succeed in killing his brother. on the other hand he thinks she might die, but she'll probably be fine, and Cersei is fucked. He only says it when he reckons that a) the building is likely to kill both cersei and arya before Arya gets anywhere near her and that would be pointless. This is the point where he makes his decision. Though This is also something that Arya can clearly see for herself. It's the Collapsing building that swings it for both of them. Also I'm not sure that Arya has changed very much. She's not impressed by Daenerys torching the entire city and killing nearly everyone, and You can also see pretty clearly when she's watching daenerys giving her "drown the world in fire speech," that if Jon doesn't sort this out, she's going to have to do something permanent about this.

Comment

That makes a lot of sense.

Still, they could have shown them riding together down from Winterfell - it’s a longgggg way. And talking about what was going to happen and what kind of life was worth living.

Comment

hah, see the problem I have with the idea of making the whole thing about the final battle, and everyone slowly walking from winterfell to kings landing is that it would be like tacking on the four hours of LOTR that you could cut out if you gave the hobbits mountain bikes. I also can't imagine that they spoke more than 10 words to each other. Just two of the most prolific and proficient killers on the continent, out for an uneventful road trip, travelling in a respectful silence, With everyone giving a wide berth to the badly scarred seven foot tall knight, and the deeply unnerving young woman who stares at people like she doesn't care if they have a problem with it.

Comment

I'm already over this, frankly, like I am with last year's Champions League Final. I prefer to remember seasons 2 to 7, which were glorious.

Comment

Here’s a good overview of the remaining questions that weren’t answered.

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-th...ss-men-catelyn

Comment

I binge-watched the final season over the weekend, but my son and nephew watched the episodes every week. And every week I'd ask them: "Has Jon Snow killed Daenerys yet?" And they'd laugh. But it was fairly apparent after Season 7 that one would eventually kill the other. So I can be smug now. But not as smug as Hot Pepsi, who called it pretty well.

My hope is that the Throne is destroyed. Danny dies. The dragon flies away. Jon just walks off into the north woods with his wolf. I want Sansa to preside over the constitutional convention to form a new Westeros Confederacy. She seems to have the best head for government of the living characters. Tyrion can be her advisor or, maybe, husband.
                        Arya can roam the earth, righting wrongs like [fill in classic western and or kung fu character], and Bron can bring balance to The Force or whatever.

But we probably won’t get that.

Comment

BTW, how was it known that Jon Snow stabbed Daenerys? There were no witnesses, and dragon took her body away. How was his crime discovered? Did Grey Worm come up to him and ask: "Yo, Jon Snow, were's my queen." And Jon Snows said: "Yeah, about that, I stabbed her to death, actually."? Surely he could answer: "I don't know what's going on, dude, but I saw her flying away with the dragon. She left no note or nuthin'."

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                            BTW, how was it known that Jon Snow stabbed Daenerys? There were no witnesses, and dragon took her body away. How was his crime discovered? Did Grey Worm come up to him and ask: "Yo, Jon Snow, were's my queen." And Jon Snows said: "Yeah, about that, I stabbed her to death, actually."? Surely he could answer: "I don't know what's going on, dude, but I saw her flying away with the dragon. She left no note or nuthin'."
                            I was wondering the same thing, but given Jon Snow's recent track record, I wouldn't put it past him to just straight up confess and be captured.

Comment

I binge-watched the final season over the weekend, but my son and nephew watched the episodes every week. And every week I'd ask them: "Has Jon Snow killed Daenerys yet?" And they'd laugh. But it was fairly apparent after Season 7 that one would eventually kill the other. So I can be smug now. But not as smug as Hot Pepsi, who called it pretty well.

I mixed up Bron and Bran and thought he’d be a better advisor to the Queen than a king.

Comment

Yeah, but we know whom you meant -- everybody has the Bron, Bran, Bryn, Brun, Brenn, Brienne problem -- and you still had Bran running the ruling thing rather than having him sit in a forest being a mystic.

Comment

Anyone else watch the two-hour 'The Last Watch' making-of documentary that aired after the finale? That was a) really fucking interesting and b) really touching. The big, bearded local guy who spent 8 seasons as a 'featured extra' was fantastic, as was learning that the Night King was actually the Czech stunt choreographer. Well worth the time.

Comment

Haven't finished it yet. The local guy was getting a little too into it, but that's great that he found something he loved and could get paid a little bit for it. I enjoyed the stunt choreographer running over to the fans in Sevilla and asking them if they knew who he was. I was really surprised that they did. Clearly he enjoyed becoming somewhat famous. I found the snow maker guy to be entertaining. And no wonder that the gates of Kings Landing in S8 were never shown before and the area around it looked nothing like what we thought the surrounding area of Kings Landing was...because it was an entirely new set that they built in a parking lot.

What was most interesting was Kit Harrington's reaction as he discovers that he kills Dany. Clearly someone didn't do his homework before the table reading. I read a gossip story that he's at a facility in Connecticut because of his drinking and stress. His "friends" who are sources for the article say that the ending of the show was basically a traumatic experience for him, and that he started feeling a lot of stress when Jon came back to life and was essentially the main character of the show. Seems like the experience of being in a show like this could be both a blessing and a curse.

Comment

Yeah, clearly he was taking it hard. As he said, this'll be the most meaningful thing I'll ever do. And he knows his limitations, so he's probably right. That Amelia Clark seems to be a lovely person. Giggly makeup lady was clearly a sweetheart, but seriously got on my tits.

Comment

I imagine leading a show like that would be stressful, although it might make him feel better to know that a) he could live very comfortably for the rest of his life on the money he made for this last season alone, let alone all the previous seasons and the royalties he might get later on b) that "typecasting" doesn't seem to be as much of a thing as it used to be. Daisey Ridley, Patrick Stewart, Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Christian Bale, etc, etc, have all managed to land good film roles after finishing a Big Franchise.

Comment

Yeah, but we know whom you meant -- everybody has the Bron, Bran, Bryn, Brun, Brenn, Brienne problem -- and you still had Bran running the ruling thing rather than having him sit in a forest being a mystic.
                                          They stopped developing his storyline much in the last two seasons so the only way his continued presence on the show made any sense at all is if he was going to somehow be an important figure in the post-Iron Throne regime.

Comment

This nails it for me:
                                            https://youtu.be/jAhKOV3nImQ

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              Anyone else watch the two-hour 'The Last Watch' making-of documentary that aired after the finale? That was a) really fucking interesting and b) really touching. The big, bearded local guy who spent 8 seasons as a 'featured extra' was fantastic, as was learning that the Night King was actually the Czech stunt choreographer. Well worth the time.
                                              I enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed any given episode of season 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Posty Webber View Post
                                                This nails it for me:
                                                https://youtu.be/jAhKOV3nImQ
                                                That's great!

Comment

I’m watching it now. It’s mind-boggling how many people and how much effort it takes. Just thinking about keeping all that organized makes me anxious.

Comment

Yeah, same here. It's such a massive undertaking, it's a wonder one episode gets made...much less 76 or whatever. And that doesn't include the poor bastards writing each one and keeping the overall story arcs in place.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X