No announcement yet.

A Song of Ice & Fire on HBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They did rush it and it felt like a lot of scenes and entire episodes are missing, but the end result makes sense, more or less. And it was beautifully made.

The biggest weakness is that they never really explained who Bran really is, exactly. He’s going to drift off to find the dragon. What was that supposed to mean?

Comment

That whole council of elders scene where they chose the new ruler sucked .

Comment

It felt pulled out of someone's ass to wrap it up quickly.

Comment

Yeah, it was a short cut, but ended with the most sensible answer.

Comment

A friend of mine was in the Peace Corps in Burkina Faso. She said the Burkina version of Star Wars skips from when the protagonists see Obi-Wan get killed straight to the Rebels assault on the Death Star. They just skip all the plot development parts and only show the action.

This felt a bit like that.

Comment

I liked it. There was a nice reunion, which was nice. But I thought the wall was destroyed.

Comment

It has a big hole in it. I guess they’ll have to patch that.

The council never even discussed that Jon is the rightful heir. Seems like an important plot point to gloss over.

And why was Dany, the most hated person in the world, just strolling around the ruins without any guards?

Apparently the dragons knew what was up the whole time. Or was it because Jon was a Targaryen that Drogon just understood him?
                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 20-05-2019, 02:51.

Comment

Maybe the others wouldn't have believed it was true (about Jon)? Don't forget, even though Tyrion, Sam and the Starks knew, it was still a secret.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                    Maybe the others wouldn't have believed it was true (about Jon)? Don't forget, even though Tyrion, Sam and the Starks knew, it was still a secret.
                    They might now believe it, but it was a secret because Dany wanted it to be a secret, and he told his family. It seems that Sansa would play that card to give her family leverage, at least.
                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 20-05-2019, 03:22.

Comment

The council never even discussed that Jon is the rightful heir. Seems like an important plot point to gloss over.

Well there was a large army of really angry people who would object. So maybe it was wise not to raise it. Wouter will be glad at the return of ser sheepy.

Comment

Maybe they didn't push because they knew Jon didn't want to be king.

Comment

True.

Comment

I liked it. Ned Stark gets beheaded in series 1 and his family are arguably the most powerful in the 'world' by series 8.

The choosing of the new ruler could have happened in Saxon England via the Witan. A little nod to history as always.

It did feel rushed, but satisfactory end for me.

Comment

Arya ends up on a cruise to Caribbeanos, and dour moody twat is off on a piss up in Scotland with his big viking mate and his pet dog. I can live with that ending.
                              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 20-05-2019, 09:12.

Comment

We got to laugh at Edmure one more time. Robin is looking all grown up, but not grown up enough yet that he can make his own decisions. Maybe Jon will abandon his post yet again and just live north of the wall. Is there still a lot of hate for the wildlings/freefolk among the southerners?

Comment

Who was Varys writing to? He was telling whoever it was that Jon was the rightful heir so it was a pretty important plot point in episode 5. The ending was so so, it wrapped things up in a vaguely satisfying way but it all just seemed to revert to the status quo, they still had a King who was chosen by the people in power and the foreigners who'd fought for the realm were basically all deported (the Unsullied to Naarth and the Dothraki back to Essos?) and not given any say in who would be the ultimate ruler. Lots of weird plot holes and various contrivances (for instance how many times was Dany and the Unsullied prepared to allow Tyrion to have one-to-one meetings with and as a prisoner? Did they not think that after he'd freed Jamie perhaps not allowing him to talk to Jon Snow, another "traitor" in Dany's eyes, might be a good idea?).

Comment

Brienne is the sworn protector of Sansa Stark. Now that Sansa is Queen in the North, I was shocked to see that Brienne wasn't the leader of her Queen's Guard. She somehow abandoned her duty to sit on the small council.

Comment

The unsullied aren't deported though are they? Yer man is fulfilling a promise to his now dead missus, to go to her home to protect the people from slavers. They're off to kill a lot of people. I presume the others go home because they are grassland nomads.

Comment

The Unsullied were sailing for Naath, wherever that is. It's the place Grey Worm and Misandei planned to go to settle down.

ETA: what TAB said.

Comment

This last series seems hilariously bad. I look forward to these lads making a sterling job of the next Star Wars hackjob.

Comment

Last night felt like Monty Python had been allowed to write it in places.

Comment

Obviously my use of the word “deported” was meant as a bit of a joke but I thought it noticeable that Westeros ended up being ruled by a white and nearly all male elite, plus ca change?

Comment

Well that was all a bit silly.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                                  Obviously my use of the word “deported” was meant as a bit of a joke but I thought it noticeable that Westeros ended up being ruled by a white and nearly all male elite, plus ca change?
                                                  Given that it's based on the Wars of the Roses, among other things, the population would have been virtually all white, and England had no female ruler until the Tudor era (unless you count Matilda).

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                                                    I liked it. Ned Stark gets beheaded in series 1 and his family are arguably the most powerful in the 'world' by series 8.

The choosing of the new ruler could have happened in Saxon England via the Witan. A little nod to history as always.

It did feel rushed, but satisfactory end for me.
                                                    The ruler of pre-Norman Ireland was also elected, but more by the greater clan, than by lords.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X