Clear All

RIP Claude Chabrol

Sad news.

RIP Claude Chabrol

Dommage.

RIP.

Comment

RIP Claude Chabrol

He lived opposite a friend of mine. In St Paul-Le Marais, as I recall.

He did a film called Le Boucher, with a very obvious plastic hand, right? That was the upshot of our teacher's attempt to introduce us to French film.

But sure he's good, so where do I start?

Comment

RIP Claude Chabrol

A few links to articles and studies of Chabrol from the excellent Film Studies for Free blog.

I've only seen three of his films (his last two and Les Bonnes Femmes). They all had a certain amount of playfulness and sparkle but none of those three stood out as exceptional. I look forward to watching more of his celebrated works.

Comment

RIP Claude Chabrol

Likewise, I've only seen about a fifth of his 50+ movies, looking forward to some local retrospectives coming up soon. He's apparently the most prolific modern French director, and also the most popular director of all time in France based on cumulative theater attendance.

Although he took inspiration from foreign directors like Hitchcook, he tends to be a bit of a franco-français director, at least when compared with some of his contemporaries like godard or truffaut, whose body of work became part of every film buff's repertoire. Films like "Que la bête meure" really don't travel well, in part because of his recurrent main theme of french bourgeois mores, which he skillfully skewered as an acute observer and insider.

Tubby, "Les Biches", "Les Bonnes Femmes" would be a good start. Some of his more recent films, like "Merci pour le chocolat" were slightly disappointing I thought, then again you could say the same about many late Truffauts or Godards, if anything Chabrol has had more staying power. He also had the good sense to favor Isabelle Huppert as the lead in many of his newer films, which is a great thing given her talent and charm. She is a good Emma Bovary in Chabrol's fairly faithful Flaubert adaptation. CC had a good range, doing literary adaptations like this and Henry Miller's "Jours tranquilles à Clichy", as well as more traditional polar (french cop films) like "Cop au vin" and "Inspecteur Lavardin".

Comment

RIP Claude Chabrol

Tubbs, when I lived in le Marais, my metro stop was St. Paul, though I don't recall seeing Chabrol.

Any idea what street?

And linus, I'd pay to see Isabelle Huppert read the telephone directory.

Comment

Working...
            X