Films of the year so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films of the year so far

So what are your films of 2008 so far? Yeah I know it's only May, and thus not even 5 months in, but I'm curious. As few or as many as you like. (And no complaints about when a film came out in this country or that country. If it came out in your country this year, it's eligible for you. Heh.)

Well, anyway, here are mine for now:

1. No Country For Old Men
    2. You, The Living
    3. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
    4. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
    5. The Edge of Heaven
    6. The Savages
    7. Lonesome Jim
    8. Persepolis
    9. XXY
    10. Juno

Worst Film Seen:
    My Blueberry Nights

Most Overpraised By Reviewers:
    There Will Be Blood

Films of the year so far

Oh well, I tried... (Was genuinely interested to see what other people rated, and if I'd missed out on anything spectacular.)

Comment

Films of the year so far

It feels a bit early is all.

I'm definitely having You, the Living at the top too. and also Seachd; El Violin; Honour of the Knights; Garage; Semi-Pro; Doomsday (honestly). There's some I haven't seen that I want to like Lust, Caution, for example. I didn't like 4 months... enough to put it in a top 10 I don't think. I've got Lonesome Jim waiting to be watched right here and will do now I see you rate it.

The worst film I've seen was Indiana Jones and the Crystal Whatnot

Comment

Films of the year so far

Haven't seen that many films, to be honest.

2. Margot at the Wedding

Most unendurable tripe:
        1. I Am Legend

Comment

Films of the year so far

I need to get out more. I haven't seen any of the films on Jimski's list.

Comment

Films of the year so far

I haven't seen any new films this year. I'd like to see No Country for Old Men, but I'll probably only get to see it once it's been on telly a few times.

I'm not too sure of the most recent film I've seen, at the cinema *or* on tv - I made a special effort to go and see Indigenes a while back, so maybe it was that.

Comment

Films of the year so far

I liked Persepolis.

Cédric Klapisch's Paris is quite good.

And something set me off and I cried with laughter watching Bienvenue chez les ch'tis.

Edit: After I posted last night, I remembered Persepolis was released last year. It was already on DVD at Christmas.

Comment

Films of the year so far

Almost all of the films on Jimski's list were released last year in the US.

Of the ones that I think count as this year, in no particular order:

The Savages
                Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
                Iron Man

That's it. I haven't been to the theater much lately.

Comment

Films of the year so far

I think all the best ones have been mentioned but I also liked:

My Brother Is An Only Child
                  The Boss Of It All
                  Paranoid Park
                  The Orphange

Worst film I saw was a French one called "Hotel Haribati".

"My Blueberry Nights": If they'd cast anyone else but Jude Law I'd have probably liked it a lot more. There's just something about him. I don't know a single person, male or female, who likes him (I did a survey). And as for his "Manchester" accent...

Comment

Films of the year so far

I feel I have to stand up for Hotel Harabati as it's one of the husband's films. It's not that bad!

I liked the Orphanage the first time, but I had to watch it about 4 times at work and I got really sick of it. I said this on the other board but My Blueberry Nights comes across like someone a bit less good trying to imitate Wong. Which is odd. I got bored with Natalie Portman but I do love Cat Power and I thought Norah Jones was so beautiful it kind of made up for the daftness. A bit. Not enough.

Comment

Films of the year so far

I found The Orphanage too clunkily declarative about what it was doing. I also turned inwardly into my dad, shouting "stop slamming the doors, you little shit!" in my head through most of it.

Didn't think much of Persepolis either. Nice drawings, duff story, protagonist's a brat.

Comment

Films of the year so far

I really enjoyed There Will Be Blood, No Country..., and The Diving Bell.... The Joy Division documentary was great too.

Comment

Films of the year so far

Only seen No Country.. but doubt whether I will see a better film. Hoping to see There Will Be Blood and Joy Division documentary so I can gauge some of the competition

Comment

Films of the year so far

Of those mentioned that I've seen, I loved Paranoid Park but was definitely 2007 in this country so didn't include it.

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead was very close to my top 10. Very close indeed.

Garage I found ok, but nothing too special. It meandered along pleasantly (if that's the right word given the denouement) enough, but didn't make a grab for me at any point.

The Orphanage was a fun and haunting ride while it lasted, but thinking about it afterwards I don't think it really all added up (however you chose to take it.)

Margot at the Wedding wasn't bad, but not a patch on Baumbach's other work.

Comment

Films of the year so far

Javier Bardem was mesmerising in "No Country...", so much so you don't notice the stupid haircut after a while. Every line delivered with economical menace. None of the three lead actors in that film share screentime.

Comment

Films of the year so far

Iron Man
                                The Hulk
                                Sweeney Todd

I haven't seen any other films in the cinema this year.

Comment

Films of the year so far

No Country For Old Men
                                  Sweeney Todd

I don't think I've seen any others. Oh wait, was St Trinian's this year? If it was, I guess that's my third, but I didn't think it was particularly great.

Comment

Films of the year so far

No Country For Old Men
                                    There Will Be Blood
                                    The Orphanage

erm...sure i've seen more but not been to the cinema in ages.

Oh, wait I did see The Savages. That was pretty good.

Is In Bruges any good? I've read very positive reviews.

Comment

Films of the year so far

Javier Bardem was mesmerising in "No Country...", so much so you don't notice the stupid haircut after a while. Every line delivered with economical menace. None of the three lead actors in that film share screentime.

Agreed. Also I'd single out Tommy Lee Jones for honours, matching Bardem's icy turn with his wonderful, slightly fragile melancholy. Sure, he can do laconic sadness if and when he wants, but he'd reached unexpected human depths in NCFOM that I'd found very impressive. Others do wistful, but Jones becomes it in this film. And a fucking good film it is, too.

There Will Be Blood also strikes me as impressive, both in scene-chewing by Daniel Day Lewis and just in the way it's been mounted. I can take on board its drawbacks and acknowledge that it ain't floated some people's boats, but I liked it a lot.

Comment

Films of the year so far

2. Before The Devil Knows You're Dead
                                        3. There Will Be Blood

Utter garbage: Sex In The City (believe me, I tried).

Comment

Films of the year so far

I saw In The Valley Of Elah at the weekend. It was pretty damn good.

Comment

Films of the year so far

1 = Persepolis
                                            1 = Happy Go Lucky

3 Speed Racer

Comment

Films of the year so far

I watched No Country For Old Men twice last night. Wish there were better extras on the DVD, though I expect there will be a cash in special edition, with at least an audio commentary. Don't think i'll ever get bored watching it.

Comment

Films of the year so far

I liked 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days a lot. A lot a lot. Especially that ten-minute sequence that was almost entirely black. Gripping, atmospheric and with a weirdly optimistic ending. Can't think of anything crap about it.

Priceless was surprisingly good. The first half hour is a bit uneven, but after that it rolls along in a pretty entertaining fashion.

Comment

Working...
                                                X